trying to price a trailer before the auction

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #21  
When I was looking for a trailer back in 2012-14 I went to several auctions that included different trailers. I was very disappointed to find trailer plugs cut off, tires shot, non functional lighting, brakes, decking that needed replacing etc. I hoped they would go for cheap knowing the amount of repairs needed. However, that was not the case. Bids approached near new pricing for 8-10 year old trailers. In my opinion, bidders had no clue what new trailer prices were and by the time repairs were made they would be way over new price on a used trailer. IMO auction trailers should be dirt cheap because of the money you need to put into them.

I decided to buy new rather than have new price invested in an old trailer.

I suggest gathering all data on what a new one would cost first. With that knowledge you can guess what costs will be involved to repair a used trailer.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #22  
Buy once, cry once

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #23  
Only partially related, but I saw today, the local electric coop is auctioning off light trucks. 12.5% buyers premium... didn't it used to be 2.5-5% at most places, or have I lost my mind?

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #24  
Only partially related, but I saw today, the local electric coop is auctioning off light trucks. 12.5% buyers premium... didn't it used to be 2.5-5% at most places, or have I lost my mind?

10 percent or sometimes more has been the norm for as long as I’ve been going to auctions. Charging sales tax on used auction purchases is a fairly recent introduction. They’re probably going to charge you another 3 percent cc fee. I used to enjoy auctions but I’ve about quit on the account of all the fees.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #25  
10 percent or sometimes more has been the norm for as long as I’ve been going to auctions. Charging sales tax on used auction purchases is a fairly recent introduction. They’re probably going to charge you another 3 percent cc fee. I used to enjoy auctions but I’ve about quit on the account of all the fees.
I don’t see where it’s worth it any more. I go to the auction previews and most of the equipment is substandard. Then you attend the auction and watch people bid too high for the stuff.
Also difficult to see all auction items run. At a preview, you can start a tractor, skid steer or truck and maybe even drive it a bit. With rakes, tedders, log splitters or most other non powered equipment, you cant. So it’s more difficult to buy with the rush of the auctioneering process.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #26  
   / trying to price a trailer before the auction #27  
I go to the auction previews and most of the equipment is substandard. Then you attend the auction and watch people bid too high for the stuff.
Yep, some of these buyers act clueless to market pricing. Last large equipment auction I went to, dealerships were bidding stupid money on low budget attachments (elcheapo skid steer mowers, fork frames, etc)

Maybe that bubble will burst now too

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #28  
If a trailer has the same specs and is the same type what makes it worth sometimes thousands more?
My guess would be welding quality, painting quality or sometimes, profit desired by trailer company owner.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction
The discussion here has been very helpful to me. Now the auction company is showing bids and the high bid is already more than I believe the trailer to be worth. The trailer has no ramps, and they would add to the price. I would need the ramps for my skid steer. A private sale would not incur the sales tax but this auction company will charge the tax. I will continue to follow the auction but will keep looking. Thanks to everyone.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #30  
The discussion here has been very helpful to me. Now the auction company is showing bids and the high bid is already more than I believe the trailer to be worth. The trailer has no ramps, and they would add to the price. I would need the ramps for my skid steer. A private sale would not incur the sales tax but this auction company will charge the tax. I will continue to follow the auction but will keep looking. Thanks to everyone.
Have you looked at all the smaller trailer manufacturers that dont advertise? If a manufacturer dosnt list a price on there website or only sell to dealers that will tell me that there over priced. It's a chunk of steel with nearly the same axles bolted under it.