trying to price a trailer before the auction

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #11  
Yes they do. But still not as smooth as a ball.

On a 14k trailer, I see no reason to want a pintle for a personal trailer.

One advantage though....and a buddy that owns a landscape company with a dozen or so trucks and trailers told me.... With a pintle you don't have to worry about incompetent employees using the wrong size ball
Or struggle to couple the ball especially if you can't lift or move the tongue. Pintles are fool proof (mostly) imo

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #12  
If it’s in decent shape it will probably go for $10k. I’ve been wanting not needing a dump trailer and box blade for a couple of years. The problem is I want to give half of what they are worth.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #13  

Factory direct new. Not sure on lead time. Unless you need it today, I wouldn't bid more than 75-80% of new price with whatever options it has.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #14  
If it’s a ball hitch with adjustable hitch plate, you can convert it to a pintle easily. Costs under $100. I think you might like a HD ball hitch better on a trailer that small.
Just make sure it comes with ramps and it’s wide enough & long enough before you bid. Will your skid steer be longer than 14’ with its attachments? A brush mower sticks out pretty far…
Most skids wont fit in a 6' wide trailer. Larger skids weigh more too (8K plus). Unloaded weight on trailer? Have enough truck to safely move it?

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #15  

Factory direct new. Not sure on lead time. Unless you need it today, I wouldn't bid more than 75-80% of new price with whatever options it has.
Agree. Also keep in mind auction fees, along with the 3% they charge for using a card, and possible sales tax issues. I 'think' most of the auctions are going to by default, charge sales tax, when I think a trailer dealer should be atleast familiar of ag exemptions, ect. You could very easily owe 17% over your winning bid. At the same time, some dealers want to charge prep fees, ect. Just compare true $ vs $.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction
These are all excellent posts. Thank you! I need to begin today preparing the wife for the amount I will have to bid. There is a buyer's fee, and I will have to ask about whether the local sales tax applies: Usually it doesn't apply to used equipment but a greedier city government cannot be found. I had not thought of the ramps' weight capacity, and that is important. I don't need the trailer but just want to have it, and I've reached an age at which not having something I want makes no sense at all. Thanks again.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #17  
These are all excellent posts. Thank you! I need to begin today preparing the wife for the amount I will have to bid. There is a buyer's fee, and I will have to ask about whether the local sales tax applies: Usually it doesn't apply to used equipment but a greedier city government cannot be found. I had not thought of the ramps' weight capacity, and that is important. I don't need the trailer but just want to have it, and I've reached an age at which not having something I want makes no sense at all. Thanks again.

Locally auctions have started charging sales tax unless you have an exemption. Which if you actually registered the title in your name you’d still have to pay sales tax from a private sale.

Last edited:
   / trying to price a trailer before the auction #18  
Yes they do. But still not as smooth as a ball.

On a 14k trailer, I see no reason to want a pintle for a personal trailer.

One advantage though....and a buddy that owns a landscape company with a dozen or so trucks and trailers told me.... With a pintle you don't have to worry about incompetent employees using the wrong size ball

Those ball hitches with a latch on top pull terrible because there’s tons of slop. A light duty pintle hitch isn’t much better. A heavy duty pintle hitch that fills the ring pulls pretty smooth. A pintle hitch is slightly easier to hook up because you can bump into the hitch and be at the right spot apposed to having to stop directly under it like a ball hitch. A pintle hitch tow ring is virtually indestructible. You can slam them around with a skid steer bucket or whatever without risk of damaging them. And then there’s the part about being pretty fail proof to hitch up correctly. But I agree that on a personal 14k trailer a 2-5/16 ball is the better option. At 20k and beyond you start outclassing what most ball hitches are rated for. I pull my 14k trailers behind my dump truck on a pintle hitch. The strength is a bonus but the simple reason is my dump truck doesn’t have a receiver hitch.
IMG_2246.JPG

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #19  
I have pulled a bunch of pintle hook equipment trailers and they all had some slop. I agree they are about indestructible.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #20  
14' 15k dump trailer, brand new from the manufacturer...less than $10k.

I bought there 20' 10k equipment trailer last fall for $5300..I see no reason to spend $2-4k more for a different name brand.