truss boom design

/ truss boom design #21  
I've thought about using a boom lift as a crane or telehandler. Every once in a while a used one shows up pretty cheap. However, they are often limited to 500 or 1000 lbs lifting. Probably OK for lifting wood, but it could be problematic for steel. It isn't clear how easy it is to move the controls from the bucket to the body, or perhaps many have dual controls already.
You are correct that boom lifts aren't designed to be used as cranes. That said, the rating is based on life support use. In general, life support gear is rated at 5% of breaking strength. Rigging gear is rated at 10%. That's for ropes, harnesses and the hardware that goes with them, but the basic idea applies. They significantly de-rate stuff like that. Obviously you wouldn't want to be lifting significant loads with one, but loads under 1000 lbs can be fine, within reason. I've set trusses, posts and a variety of other items with boom lifts. All of the boom lifts that I've ever operated (I've operated dozens of them, from all the major manufacturers) have controls on the ground as well as in the bucket.

Someone mentioned removing the truss or load. One could design a method that attaches that can be released from the ground. For example using a rope that goes from the end of the boom, through the load, then back to a pulley, and back down to the ground. So, simply release the rope from the ground and pull it through.
Build or buy a hook like this. J Hook Heavy Duty