Truck winches

/ Truck winches
I’d be running a very short distance from the battery to the winch on the front bumper. Maybe 5-6’ which includes the turns & bends.
I want to thank all of you for discouraging me, scaring the crap out of me, and shaming me for not wanting to spend $5,000 or more on this little project. lmao

But seriously, I am looking at other & all options. I REALLY like the thought of using my Ram’s PTO to power it, but finding space for everything without making a year long project of it with all the other ongoing projects looks difficult.

I wonder if the hydraulic mile marker could be powered up by my PTO and a small pump/tank setup on board the truck somewhere?

Long ago, I had an IH-1700 dump truck with a monarch pump to power the plow. Worked great. An electric motor, pump & tank mounted under the hood. I would just need a pump & tank mounted near PTO and a way to activate pump pressure to winch from the cab.

/ Truck winches #102  
Electric winches are more in the hobby market than work area. Fine for what they are meant to be used for and look cool. I had to live and learn with a Tensen two speed, 12,000# electric winch for awhile.

Most people aren’t going to understand voltage drop, duty cycle or hazards and maintenance of high amps equipment. Specifications engineers enjoy like a pig in mud.

Maybe others can articulate better how the voltage drop increases the amp draw for a given load. Volts X amps = watts (load). Battery condition, wiring, connections, breakers or fuses all contribute to voltage drop. Running your truck while winching is all but necessary because of this. 160+amp alternator putting out 14.4 volts certainly will help your winch performance and lifespan while lowering the amp draw for a given load.

Winching from a non running vehicle is not practical from these higher capacity winches.

The Hydrotraxx all hydraulic drive, 44hp turbo-diesel 6x6 amphibious atv had a 8,000# Warn electric winch up front. It fit its’ purpose is the reason for this example. It’s enjoying new ownership life on a farm in Kentucky. Doing chores and taking the young owners for a pond ride once in awhile. Happy as a pig in mud.

/ Truck winches #103  
I wonder if the hydraulic mile marker could be powered up by my PTO and a small pump/tank setup on board the truck somewhere?
I think the mile marker models only go to 18k but I bet you could rig something from surplus center to work for reasonable price since you already have the PTO pump setup.
There is also a belt driven pump option off the motor

/ Truck winches #104  
Likely your electric winches had at 5% duty cycle, you just used them like everyone does and never bothered to check. Besides that 5% is at maximum load.
I dunno. I'd say it's highly unlikely that with at least 20 different winches over the years, and quite a bit of winching, that I wouldn't have noticed a 5% duty cycle. And the the winch also didn't. That has been with mostly Warn winches.

One that is still an unknown is the 18K ComeUp installed about a year ago. Have only used it four times, but there's something not quite right. Most likely a ground issue, even though I ran the cables back to the batteries (24 Volt).

Had to install a separate switch on the ground or it would provide a path bypassing the OE ground disconnect, and I suspect that switch isn't up to the task.

Anyway, the only Anderson type connector I've ever used is part of the recently installed trailer winch. Actually haven't used it yet, but was not about to rely on the 30A max. hot wire in the 7-flat for providing any meaningful charging while winching.

So 25-foot 1 ga. jumper cables will allow hooking the trailer battery up to the Ram's batteries for heavier winching. And I did install a switch in that charging wire circuit to eliminate the chance of frying the charge wire should the trailer battery be good and the Ram's batteries depleted.

/ Truck winches
Sherpa Stallion 25,000lb info

/ Truck winches
I think the mile marker models only go to 18k but I bet you could rig something from surplus center to work for reasonable price since you already have the PTO pump setup.
There is also a belt driven pump option off the motor
I only have a PTO. No pump, tank, or lines.
Just the PTO on the side of the Aisin.

/ Truck winches #107  
That sure looks like a nice one. Whichever winch you decide on, I recommend also getting a wireless remote.

I like using it with the ComeUp since it's generally the skid steer that's stuck, and it really helps being able to sit in it and release its brakes while winching.

With the trailer it's almost a must. It'll be most helpful to be at or in whatever is being winched up on it. Oh, and the Warn remote works with both the older 3-pin and the new 5-pin plugs.
That was a most pleasant surprise since most of my winches are the old style.

/ Truck winches
Yeah, and that's probably an "easy" $2K right there in parts.
And you still need the winch with hydraulic motor.
I’m no government 3 letter agency or utility company, so electric may be the only affordable answer.

/ Truck winches #110  
Yeah, and that's probably an "easy" $2K right there in parts.
I priced a pto for my Aisin trans in my medium duty truck and that's about right for cost