Truck winches

/ Truck winches #51  
Have to be careful of not only the bumper but of the truck frame.

Have to rig the truck tie down. Often to tractor with grapple in the ground. Tree tied behind or bumper braced against a tree. Wrecker quality chocks on hard ground.

Mounted a roller fairlead to GN flatbed trailer so I could pull equipment onto the trailer with the truck mounted front winch. Would work on any trailer.

One project yet to build is making pulley and roller fairlead receiver hitch mounts to thread the cable from front to rear under the vehicle. Don’t offload as much but like versatility option.

/ Truck winches #52  
Hay Dude - just a thought. The 18.5K winch limit may have something to do with the stresses on the vehicle frame.

In the 4WD club in Anchorage - everybody, except one fellow, had either Ramsey or WARN electric. This fellow had a stripped down - military - deuce and a half. It had a Ramsey PTO winch. You had to set stakes to see if that winch was really pulling that big 'ol truck forward. I don't know what the pull rating of that Ramsey was - but there were times it pulled so hard - you could hear the winch line "singing". Man - did we ever pile the wool blankets on his winch line. It never broke. Nobody ever got close when he would be pulling.

/ Truck winches #53  
This one is hydraulic and good for 40K lbs.

Haven't tried it yet since I'm still not sure how to pull out up to 400 feet of 3/4" cable. Guess I'll use the Jeep to drag it out, with a bungee on the "out" lever (there's no free spool).

If I were smart I'd put a pony winch on it.
DSCN5135[1].JPG

/ Truck winches #54  
What I used to do to respool my cables was to hook up to a vehicle with an auto trans, put it in reverse and just let it idle in reverse to pull on the cable while I stood there controlling the winch. Let it unwrap the spool enough to clear whatever cable wrap or issue, and then just let the winch pull it back in, pulling against the vehicle while it idled away in reverse. Could do it solo most of the time, but occasionally would have a bad wrap stuck hard enough that the vehicle wasn't applying enough pulling force to pull it free. Then I'd just have Mrs Slim sit in the car and give it a little bit of gas in reverse to tug harder.

I tended to keep my spools tightly and neatly wrapped. It always bugged me to see a winch with a messy ball of "birdcaged" cable wrapped around it.

/ Truck winches #55  
I tended to keep my spools tightly and neatly wrapped. It always bugged me to see a winch with a messy ball of "birdcaged" cable wrapped around it.
Exactly! So much safer and kinder on cable. One reason I like two speed winches to better control, redo and keep wraps tight. Pulling power changes with cable layers. Helps to have two people. Sometimes drag a load (car or log) while landing the cable. Wife has a good trigger finger.

Haven’t tried synthetic winch lines yet. Steel has advantages in a dirty environment. Use some synthetic slings which I like.

/ Truck winches #56  
I have a 20 or 25K winch mounted on its own trailer that has airplane wheels/tires on it. The winch runs off whatever tractors PTO the trailer is hooked to.

I've winched out a buried dozer with it and let me tell you, you could hear the wire rope creaking and pinging!

SR

/ Truck winches #57  
Haven’t tried synthetic winch lines yet. Steel has advantages in a dirty environment. Use some synthetic slings which I like.
Neither have I, but the Warn I put on the 32' flatbed came with wire rope. Put synthetic on it, largely to hopefully spare the powder coat where the dovetail and bed meets.

I'll try putting a piece of PVC pipe in that gap to avoid contact altogether, which wouldn't last long with a steel cable.

Needless to say, the winch has a cover on it, and I'm still not convinced that synthetic is the way to go. Seems to work with soft shackles, though.

/ Truck winches #58  
I saw these in a trade show video recently. They look nice, and are decently priced from the mfg...probably cheaper through a distributor/dealer

/ Truck winches #59  
Interesting winches quite a selection of electric or hydraulic even in the automotive segment.

/ Truck winches
Yeah I’m just doing the biggest winch I can fit in the space provided on the front bumper. I can’t afford to do pumps, tanks, lines, switches, etc.