Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #211  
O restriction in Pennsylvania is... " O – Prohibits a Class A driver from driving a truck tractor-trailer combination"

That is straight from the DMV website.

There is no 5th wheel restriction that I see.

Website for full reference...

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #212  
So PA has responded (somewhat) to the guy who wants to drive a 3500-5500 (for example) and a 16K trailer (for example).
I have never heard of the “5th wheel restriction”.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #213  
Here is how the federal regs define the restriction if you take the test in a non-fifth wheel combination.

Tractor-trailer. If an applicant performs the skills test in a combination vehicle for a Group A CDL with the power unit and towed unit connected with a pintle hook or other non-fifth wheel connection, the State must indicate on the CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a tractor-trailer combination connected by a fifth wheel that requires a Group A CDL.

In Texas it is a restriction "O".

1673530657790.png

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #214  
The training is all the same. Regardless of what class a restrictions you get. The restrictions are simply based on what vehicle you take the test in. Therefore the training organization said spend the few hundred bucks to use their truck so you have no restrictions. Since you are “trained” on it all. It is called edlt training and covers everything. But you can still take the test in your own pickup if you want. But after spending the time and money it is silly to get the restrictions.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #215  
For what you wanting to haul and your needs a single cab four wheel dually may be preferable.
If possible a 7.3 or 12valve Cummins may be advisable. Pre the emission controls. It may be nesissary to spend money on the running gear and engine but would be much less than a newer truck would cost.
The Federal government has certain exceptions for farmers when it comes to license. That being said you have to check with your home state to 1. see if what you are doing counts as being a farmer. 2. What special license or endorsements you need if over 26,000lbs (GVWR or actual). 3.If you are a farmer what type of vehicle registration you need. Under the feds and MAP21 each State had to have 1 way to identify farmers to take advantage of the exceptions. Some use the license plate, some use a form to be carried in the vehicle... For the weight you are carrying if you have too small of a truck you will just wear it out and or break something.
I am confused by a few statements about CDL. I don’t haul anything for money. I haul to save my money. 26k means nothing if you don’t do it commercially. If you don’t have DOT numbers the only thing you will get stopped for is failure to secure something properly. But that is even a stretch. My trailer is rated for 18k and I run a Dodge 3500 SB SRW with 3.42s and a 68rfe.
It all depends on the State. Several (I think more than half0 have a licensing requirement for vehicles over 26k (GVWR or actual) that includes RV's. It is up to your home State.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #216  
My understanding is that no matter if you're commercial or not >26k combined gross weight requires a CDL per the Feds. Certain states have farm exemptions with limitations on range/load/etc.

I've heard that some law enforcement will cite for this if the summed gvw of the truck + trailer>26k even if you're empty. (Which imo is a gross misapplication of the law)
The law is typically based off of 2 weights (which is the same as the Feds use) the vehicles GVWR or the actual weight whichever is greater. You can look it up in the regulation section of www.fmcsa.dot.gov under 390.5 (you can also find the definition of Covered farm vehicle here). The feds only care if you are crossing State line and are using the vehicle for commerce. For example you are pulling a trailer with an RV and inside the trailer is your race car that you race for money or have sponsorship on it. (you do not have to win money just race for potential money) Most States use the federal regulations for their own people with a few exceptions. Some don't require a CDL but they require an endorsement that is for a vehicle that would otherwise require a CDL if used for business.

The bottom line is you have to know what your State requires and make sure you meet those requirements

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #217  
So PA has responded (somewhat) to the guy who wants to drive a 3500-5500 (for example) and a 16K trailer (for example).
I have never heard of the “5th wheel restriction”.

Idk if it’s a fairly new thing but my license has “5th wheel restricted” printed on the back.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #218  
I just pulled this from the Ohio BMV. So does this mean there's no need for a cdl in Ohio with a 3/4 ton? I borrow a friend of mines tandem dual gooseneck (18,000 gvw?) with my 2018 Ram 2500 who's gvw is 10,000 lbs?
Screenshot_20230112_110415_Chrome.jpg

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #219  
I just pulled this from the Ohio BMV. So does this mean there's no need for a cdl in Ohio with a 3/4 ton? I borrow a friend of mines tandem dual gooseneck (18,000 gvw?) with my 2018 Ram 2500 who's gvw is 10,000 lbs?View attachment 778935
if the tow vehicle GVWR is 10k or less then no. 3/4 ton truck usually stay at 10k or below. But you never know what the manufacturer is going to do to sell more trucks.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #220  
Ive noticed a lot of postings that are confusing personal license and vehicle use with commercial cdl vehicle use.

There us a zero tolerance policy for alcohol in commercial vehicles. Doesn’t matter what limit you are under.

Another is get your cdl and borrow someones truck when you need it. Your personal vehicle policy probably wont cover you in a commercial vehicle. For his insurance to cover you he would have to list you on his policy and the insurance company would have to approve you. Plus he would have to pay premiums for you.

Some think that they have never been pulled over so its ok. In our state the dot are the only ones really qualified to handle commercial vehicle infractions. The state police, sheriffs dept. and local police will get you for the standard traffic violations only.
My brother in law went 25 years before a dot got behind him one day. His 3/4 ton pickup and 16’ trailer almost got towed.

Unfortunately when it comes to farm use most states have their own rules to make it more confusing.