Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion

/ Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion
Thanks LouNY. Good idea. I'm going to save the full painting until spring - but easy enough to clean up the face and shine it up with a fresh coat of paint.

Sean.

/ Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion #32  
Looks really good - what you are building!
I was reading the discussion on the plow shoes. I have a loooong gravel drive too in northern VT. I also back drag with the snow plow if the road is soft and I do it also early even when frozen until I have I have a smooth hard surface to run the blade on, Because I have numerous rough spots from the tops of boulders that stick up a little here and there. Often we get some rain in the winter, especially lately it seems, and the road turns to a ribbon of ice. I don't sand. It is way cheaper and easier to run good winter studded tires on the wife's CRV and my p/u. I run chains on the plow truck - a 1 ton dually. Anyway, when the road turns to ice I put on the plow shoes to hold the blade up a little so I leave an 1" or 1-1/2" of snow on top of the ice when I plow. This thin layer will stick to the ice much better and easier than deeper snow when packed by traffic To turn the road back to a snow road. Just a different way to do it and thought you might be interested.

gg

/ Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion #33  
Looks good! Shorten up that chain by 1/3 or so (between the upper frame and the D ring) and you should be in a better place.

Looks good! Shorten up that chain by 1/3 or so (between the upper frame and the D ring) and you should be in a better place.

I can do that for sure... Is the aim to be plowing with the QA plate essentially vertical?

Sean.

/ Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion #35  
Very nice. I look forward to building one of these some year soon.

/ Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion #36  
   / Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion #38  
Thanks for those - I'll take a look. Worst case - if they don't ship to Canada - I'm only 20 minutes from the border. I can ship to a US address and drive over to pick it up.

With a blower on the back and a blade on the front - I'm ready for the next 18 months of winter!

Sean.

/ Truck snow plow to Tractor SSQA Conversion #40  
I have a gravel driveway as well and I welded a piece of round black iron pipe to the bottom of the scraper blade, worked great.
It doesn't scrape the black top as nice but wasn't too bad either.

Jer

PICT2417.JPG

Question for folks... You can see in the picture with the blade sitting up on blocks - the back blade is hanging down (pic 1 of the last set). From what I can tell - I can either have the back blade plate - OR I can have shoes for the plow to run on - but not both. The back blade has cutouts to go around the fittings where the shoes would go - but putting shoes in those fittings would interfere with the back blade. Am I reading that right?

So... If I can have one or the other - which should I have? Laneway is about 500 meters - all gravel. If I waited until I had a frozen layer - could I get away without shoes? Never used a blade before. Tractor has a 7' wide blower on the back.

Sean.