Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse

/ Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #11  
…I've chased mine down across the garden with the tires off the ground, when it caught a rock and took off like a shot.
Mine has safety clasps on the handles. Were it to jump too much, it will shut off when my hand slips off the handle…….

/ Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #12  
I was going to buy a horse model until I saw the current $2500 price. I ended up buying a DR duel rotating rear tine tiller for $900 and received it last week. I was impressed by the features and reviews, we’ll see later this spring how it performs. DR is now owned by Generac and they make the machines and engines in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
   / Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #13  
Just a little interesting tidbit, DR stands for Dick Raymond who was one of the main designers for Garden Way’s Troy Bilt tillers. He designed the bolo tines they still use
I bought my Horse in 1993, 8HP Kohler Magnum engine. Last year I put a Honda GX270 on it. Great tiller, still looks new
IMG_0415.jpg

/ Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #14  
I was going to buy a horse model until I saw the current $2500 price. I ended up buying a DR duel rotating rear time tiller for $900 and received it last week. I was impressed by the features and reviews, we’ll see later this spring how it performs. DR is now owned by Generac and they make the machines and engines in Wisconsin.

Yest the new ones are pricey!

My 1976 Horse was $200 and after $60 in new parts + little overhaul performs very well.

Good thing my labor was free since it's a hobby (including the gardening).

/ Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #15  
. DR is now owned by Generac and they make the machines and engines in Wisconsin.
Unless something has changed recently Generac doesn't make the single cylinder engines only the 420cc twin and larger. The smaller single cylinder engines are rebranded Rato, or Loncin engines.

/ Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #16  
Unless something has changed recently Generac doesn't make the single cylinder engines only the 420cc twin and larger. The smaller single cylinder engines are rebranded Rato, or Loncin engines.
I specifically asked before I bought. They said the engine was made by DR/Generac. IDK if they rebrand them or not. The engine in the tiller is 9hp.

/ Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #17  
I specifically asked before I bought. They said the engine was made by DR/Generac. IDK if they rebrand them or not. The engine in the tiller is 9hp.
It is made by DR/Generac in the same factory that makes the MTD Powermore engine for Troybilt, Cub Cadet, etc. For all practical purposes it is their engine because they will handle parts, service, and warranty as if it is made by them unlike years ago whereas the engine had it own company the was responsible for repairs like Kohler or Honda on Troybilt.

/ Troy Bilt PTO Horse Reverse #18  
It is made by DR/Generac in the same factory that makes the MTD Powermore engine for Troybilt, Cub Cadet, etc. For all practical purposes it is their engine because they will handle parts, service, and warranty as if it is made by them unlike years ago whereas the engine had it own company the was responsible for repairs like Kohler or Honda on Troybilt.
Thanks for that information