Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #341  
I am seriously considering Stihl chaps. I have a crap ton of wood piled up from storm clean up to do this winter. I feel like irregularly piled wood and chunks of wood is more dangerous than a straight log laying on the ground or a standing tree. Reading through this article has pushed me into being more cautious. (y)
yeah I should buy a pair of chaps as well, probably would need two pair, winter chainsaw pants and summer chaps... or one big enough to fit on top of my winter pants but the first option is probably better.

/ Tree cutting accident #342  
I think I will do the summer chaps thinking they will go over my weatherproof work pants?

All new stuff to me. I have been running chainsaws since I was 11 years old and only wore safety glasses lol

/ Tree cutting accident #343  
We have seen 3 tree accidents over the last year or so. First, big wind up North where a good friend lives on the East side of a good size lake. Took a few hundred foot deciduous out, one barely missing his airplane and another centerpunching the living room roof. No injuries. Second was Son-in-law's brother (machinist raised around trees and saws) trying to be good neighbour and trimming a limb overhanging next door driveway. Limb twisted as it fell and jammed the saw, kicking it out onto his neck (standing on a step ladder). MANY stitches later his wife made him give the saw away (he did). Mechanic friend trimming limbs at his Father's house had butt end of cut come down on top of his head. Still off work 2 months later.

Seriously, guys (and gals): we all seem to live around trees and use saws to cut them. Many of us (guilty as charged) forego a bit of safety gear and a lot of thought and planning just to get the job done. Let's all take a few lessons from this thread and try to work a lot safer around saws.

/ Tree cutting accident #344  
I think I will do the summer chaps thinking they will go over my weatherproof work pants?

All new stuff to me. I have been running chainsaws since I was 11 years old and only wore safety glasses lol
Some chaps are open like horse riding or monocycle chaps made to be on top of existing pants... yeah I hear ya, I just started wearing hearing protection after I got a tinnitus for 4 straights week cause by a mix of a cold and gun shooting... after experience that I want to make sure I don't have to live the rest of my life hearing that.

/ Tree cutting accident #345  
We have seen 3 tree accidents over the last year or so. First, big wind up North where a good friend lives on the East side of a good size lake. Took a few hundred foot deciduous out, one barely missing his airplane and another centerpunching the living room roof. No injuries. Second was Son-in-law's brother (machinist raised around trees and saws) trying to be good neighbour and trimming a limb overhanging next door driveway. Limb twisted as it fell and jammed the saw, kicking it out onto his neck (standing on a step ladder). MANY stitches later his wife made him give the saw away (he did). Mechanic friend trimming limbs at his Father's house had butt end of cut come down on top of his head. Still off work 2 months later.

Seriously, guys (and gals): we all seem to live around trees and use saws to cut them. Many of us (guilty as charged) forego a bit of safety gear and a lot of thought and planning just to get the job done. Let's all take a few lessons from this thread and try to work a lot safer around saws.
Not sure much safety gear would have protected in these situations. It sounds like inexperience or carelessness in how they were doing the work. For instance, I went to a pole saw pruner versus a chainsaw so I can stand back away from where the limb will twist or jump back to - standing on a ladder using a chainsaw is asking for injury. I understand that they may have done these things their whole life but they are not who they used to be, the saw may not cut quite the same, the weight of the branch varies with time of year and how much water is in it, but the biggest factor of all is how much did they think about the possible outcomes and plan to avoid them.

/ Tree cutting accident #346  
Not sure much safety gear would have protected in these situations. It sounds like inexperience or carelessness in how they were doing the work. For instance, I went to a pole saw pruner versus a chainsaw so I can stand back away from where the limb will twist or jump back to - standing on a ladder using a chainsaw is asking for injury. I understand that they may have done these things their whole life but they are not who they used to be, the saw may not cut quite the same, the weight of the branch varies with time of year and how much water is in it, but the biggest factor of all is how much did they think about the possible outcomes and plan to avoid them.
i enjoy not being there when people use ladders with saws.

/ Tree cutting accident #347  
1700402101403.jpeg

Make it a happy tree!

/ Tree cutting accident #348  
I’ve been using chaps and a logger helmet for a while now. Partly because I’m not that coordinated and partly because I hate the sight of blood.

/ Tree cutting accident #349  
i enjoy not being there when people use ladders with saws.
First thing my dad taught me when he was teaching me to run a chainsaw, was absolutely no tree work off of a ladder. When I first started with the power company me and an older guy were riding out to a job and passed a man on a ladder trying to cut a limb with a chainsaw, he said as we passed go down there and turn around and let's cut that limb for that man before he kills himself, we went back but we were to late the limb come down knocking the ladder out from under him and he was cut by the saw, we got on the radio and had the dispatcher call for an ambulance, we gave him first aid and controlled the bleeding till the paramedics came and carried him to the hospital for stitches, I have often thought about how right my dad was, and as far as chaps I have never used them while running a saw and have never had a problem, but I think I will get me a set because I know complacency can cause an accident and I'm not as young and agile as I once was, also I am by myself 90% of the time and eventually your good luck can run out.

/ Tree cutting accident #350  
First thing my dad taught me when he was teaching me to run a chainsaw, was absolutely no tree work off of a ladder. When I first started with the power company me and an older guy were riding out to a job and passed a man on a ladder trying to cut a limb with a chainsaw, he said as we passed go down there and turn around and let's cut that limb for that man before he kills himself, we went back but we were to late the limb come down knocking the ladder out from under him and he was cut by the saw, we got on the radio and had the dispatcher call for an ambulance, we gave him first aid and controlled the bleeding till the paramedics came and carried him to the hospital for stitches, I have often thought about how right my dad was, and as far as chaps I have never used them while running a saw and have never had a problem, but I think I will get me a set because I know complacency can cause an accident and I'm not as young and agile as I once was, also I am by myself 90% of the time and eventually your good luck can run out.
50% of chainsaw related ER visits are for above the belt injuries.