Transporting boulders

/ Transporting boulders #41  
I want to transport some boulders about 50 miles. I have a 5x8 heavy duty dump trailer that should probably handle 2 or 3 of them. How in the world do you fasten them down for transport? Or not bother?

The sides on my trailer are high enough where the boulders could not possible fall over the sides or the back. It's more if I was in an accident-- those boulders flying around could do some serious damage.

I don't have D-rings in my trailer ....
Getting in a traffic pickle is a big concern with this load - so you want to prevent movement. Use the mass of one to hinder the movement of the others-- chain together with large chains into a single bundle and use ratchet chain binders to tighten. Use large timbers/railroad ties for cribbage fore/aft and sides. Just keep in mind that your stopping distance has increased and too sudden a stop could be problematic. Leave when traffic is light, stay in right lane with flashers on at no more than 45 mph. And the boulders will make it over the sides - when the rig tips over.

/ Transporting boulders #42  
I want to transport some boulders about 50 miles. I have a 5x8 heavy duty dump trailer that should probably handle 2 or 3 of them. How in the world do you fasten them down for transport? Or not bother?

The sides on my trailer are high enough where the boulders could not possible fall over the sides or the back. It's more if I was in an accident-- those boulders flying around could do some serious damage.

I don't have D-rings in my trailer ....
Sounds like you're in the market for some boulder holders, really big ones. 😲

/ Transporting boulders #43  
I definitely like the idea of using a U-haul trailer to move big rocks. They're very well built, quite heavy duty, and best of all, if you bang them up, it is someone else's trailer, not yours.

I had a guy load a scrap water heater into a light duty trailer, he gave it a big heave and went through the plywood deck. ("Yer fired . . . ")

Strong and ample tie-downs are an absolute must. I know a guy who was ferrying a yacht down the Intracoastal, his BMW motorcycle was braced in front of the mainmast. They ran aground, the boat stopped, the BMW didn't - it cleaned off EVERYTHING on the boat in front of it on the way off, and it is still out there, somewhere off the coast of North Carolina. He went into the drink, too, fortunately, he wasn't hurt and could swim.

I'll bet the insurance claim form raised some eyebrows . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Transporting boulders #44  
I like the comment above about putting in some dirt or 3/4 inch stone to stop them from moving around. Then cover the top with a tarp and strap that down, and drive slowly on roads with minimal turns. My biggest concern is the weight of the boulders. They likely weigh more than you think. I have one nice boulder in my yard that can only be moved with an excavator, and it doesn't look all that big. I transported several thousand pounds of granite 80 miles per trip, making 5 -6 loaded trips, in my most similar example. I didn't have a dump trailer. The first trip I used my brother's utility trailer with a dual axle that we normally used for my Jinma 284. That broke the axle within 30 miles of easy roads. What a nightmare trailering a trailer with a broken axle with 3 large pieces of granite in it. Then I bought a 20 year old Bobcat trailer that was considerably more heavy duty. I rebuilt the bed with 2x12 pressure treated, packed all the bearings, installed new tires and rims, then went to work transporting the rest without incident. I placed the granite evenly on the trailer and made sure there was proper tongue weight and good balance. Then I nailed in 2x4 blocks around the pieces, and chained the tops. There was no shifting and it worked perfectly. You could surface mount D rings to a few piece of 1/2 inch plywood on the trailer bed and chain them down. If the plywood is touching all sides of the bed, it'll also keep the boulders stable in normal traffic. But so would dirt or 3/4 inch stone on the deck for normal braking. Nothing is going to save you in a serious braking situation or accident, but chaining them to plywood would show an attempt to keep the load stable.

/ Transporting boulders #45  
Whatever you do... Drive at night when there is no traffic...

At night, it’s harder to see if there is a problem with your tie-downs. Also, if there is a collision, and the boulders get loose, that’s much worse. I’ve seen vehicles totaled and the occupant injured over armadillos. A boulder that gets loose is likely to kill anyone who hits it. At night, things are harder to see, yes. The biggest issue is other drivers will likely be looking at the vehicle that wrecked, not at what may be left in the roadway. I’ve worked a lot of secondary collisions, due to this.

That’s not to say driving at certain times don’t hold benefits. My preference would be a weekend early morning, before dawn, but after “normal” visibility starts.

/ Transporting boulders #46  
Send it.

/ Transporting boulders #47  
At night, it’s harder to see if there is a problem with your tie-downs. Also, if there is a collision, and the boulders get loose, that’s much worse. I’ve seen vehicles totaled and the occupant injured over armadillos. A boulder that gets loose is likely to kill anyone who hits it. At night, things are harder to see, yes. The biggest issue is other drivers will likely be looking at the vehicle that wrecked, not at what may be left in the roadway. I’ve worked a lot of secondary collisions, due to this.

That’s not to say driving at certain times don’t hold benefits. My preference would be a weekend early morning, before dawn, but after “normal” visibility starts.
Agreed, doing this at night was bad advice.

/ Transporting boulders #48  
Drop some dirt in, drop the rocks in, drop enough dirt in to keep them in place and be on your way. That's how we always did it without tying them down.
Smiley

/ Transporting boulders #49  
Do keep in mind that when driving on a public highway, you come under the rules and regulations of the DOT. Last time I checked, ANY load must be secured against movement. I told you how to secure them a ways back. You can either heed my advise or wing it but be apprised if you wing it and something happens, not only will you be liable for damages, you'll probably be ticked for an insecure load as well.

Your choice. I KNOW what mine would be.

/ Transporting boulders #50  
It's not coming out of the trailer unless you crash. Don't crash. Just send it.