Trailer

/ Trailer #1  

Jethro

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550, several Exmark ZTRs, Walker GHS and a 1967 Craftsman Surburban
I am about to buy a 36 hp tractor with a FEL. I have a tandem axle landscape maintenance trailer rated at 7000 lbs. I know that the tractor and loader should noy exceed that limit, but I wonder if the trailer is really heavy enough for regular use with the tractor. Specifically, I will have to drive 11-12 hours round trip to pick up this tractor, so I really dont want to find out I dont have a heavy enough trailer when I am going 70 MPH on I-95. My suspicion is that the trailer rating is based on the two 3500 lb axles, and the ability of the trailer frame to support that much weigh over an extended period of time may not have been a factor in the rating. It is a Load Trail trailer. I would prefer to not have to invest in a heavier trailer if I don't really need to. Once I get the tractor here, I will rarely travel more that 10-15 miles with it. What do ya'll think? Am I good to go with the landscape trailer? Should I rent a heavier trailer for the trip? My concern there is that all of the rental store trailers are in pretty bad shape.

/ Trailer #2  
If it's in good shape and has good brakes it should be fine. You may want to have the wheel bearings cleaned and repacked before making that long a trip, that'll give you a chance to inspect the brakes too. I'd think about having the whole thing inspected as well.

/ Trailer #3  
You should be fine with that trailer. My 36 HP Cub Cadet weighs 3200 pounds plus maybe 1000 for the FEL. Your trailer is a 7000 GVWR trailer. That means your payload weight is 7000 minus the weight of your trailer (probably about 2000). So your tractor does not exceed the payload wieght of your trailer.

I just bought a 12,000 pound tandom-axle dump trailer. It has 2 6,000 pound axles and weighs about 2800 pounds empty. That gives me 9,200 pound payload weight. But the 12K GVWR would exceed the 10,000 tow rating for my Excursion. So, I really have an effective payload weight of about 7,200 pounds.

/ Trailer
Thanks. I think I just needed some reassuring. The trailer I would use is only a year old. The brakes are fine. I'm sure I will eventually reinforce the gate if I continue to haul the tractor. I feel much better about the trip now.

/ Trailer #5  
Please remember that the trailer rating (7,000 lb.) includes the the weight of the trailer and the equipment being hauled. A lot depends on the equipment: Base weight? filled tires or additional ballast? Other accessories?. Are the trailer brakes, tires, coupler, lights, etc. in good condition? Can the tractor be positioned on the trailer to achieve the proper tongue weight? I have to agree about rental trailers. I've rented equipment with trailers and I can't believe the poor condition of the trailers. I know this doesn't answer your question but please think about these things and tow safely. Good luck with your trip.

/ Trailer
Thanks. The second positive opinion reassures me a good bit. I really didn't want to tie up more money in a heavier trailer that wouldn't be needed that much.

/ Trailer #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm sure I will eventually reinforce the gate if I continue to haul the tractor. )</font>

You might want to take a hard look at reinforcing the tailgate before you load the tractor the first time, if it is a standard landscape trailer loading ramp. They are designed for loading lawnmowers and other equipment that is not nearly as heavy as your new tractor. You may find that it bends so much a complete replacement will be necessary, rather than reinforcing. JMHO /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Trailer #8  
Just because it is only a year old, doesn't mean that the bearings are in good shape. I had a new trailer wheel bearing fail in 700 miles the first time that I used it. The bearing race welded itself to the spindle and had to be cut off with a chisel and hammer. When I got home, the entire axle was replace. Now I carry a spare bearing and hub set to make sure. It is cheap insurance if you break down on the road. I couldn't find replacement bearing without driving 30 miles one way on that day and it was a Saturday when a lot of places closed at noon in that area..... Be safe, check them before you leave....

/ Trailer #9  
I would bet dinner that the landscape trailer gate WILL NOT support the tractor. Borrow or buy good quality ramps of the appropriate weight rating.

One of the first things I learned after registering at TBN was to BACK the tractor onto the trailer. If the tractor has a front end loader but no 3PH implement attached, it's probably not as big an issue. keep in mind where you want MOST of the weight centered (over or very close to the axles). Tounge weight is important, even on short trips.

/ Trailer #10  
JW, you should be in fine shape. The trailer you have is rated like your typical 16 foot utility trailer. Mine is a 18 foot with the two 3500# axles, trailer is more like 1200#. Tractor will go about 3500#, FEL 800#, BH 1000#. I regularly carry this and several hundred pounds of building materal or dirt and will put it right at its rated capaticy and have no problems on the interstate. The most important things are the tonuge weight and your brake controler. Of course make sure the tires are good and properly inflated.