Trailer Setup

/ Trailer Setup #31  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just remember if the truck has a rear leveling system Bird's method will not work to well )</font>

Oops, good point, I didn't think about that. I never towed with a vehicle that had the auto leveling.

/ Trailer Setup #32  
Pondkeeper,

Prosperity suggests: <font color="blue"> Also, get ratchet binders. Don't even bother with the lever type binders.
</font>

Not long ago, I bought two rachet binders, thinking that was the best way to go, but now I believe one rachet binder and one lever binder is the best. I use a front and rear chain to tie down my tractor. Use the lever binder first. After you throw the lever, move the tractor, if necessary, to make that chain tight. Then, use the rachet binder to tighten the second chain. Two rachet binders certainly will work, but the combo method is faster and works as well.

OkieG

/ Trailer Setup #33  
I found a quicker way, too. I use a couple J hooks chained to a pear ring on the rear and chain the pear ring down a an attachment point at the rear of the trailer. I then attach the hook on my winch cable to the weight bar on the front and winch the tractor forward to take out the slack on the chains at the rear and I'm secure as the winch has a brake.

I still use a safety chain on the front but it doesn't need to be tight so it's something I can just hook to the floor, run around the bumper and hook onto itself in about ten seconds.

You could probably quicken your method further by just using the ratchets to tighten things down on one end. The chains on the other end should have any slack pulled from them when you tighten the ratchets.

Whatever you do, always remember to put your tractor back in gear when you have it secured and to use your park brake if you have one. Happy trailering. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trailer Setup
Well, we finally had a clear weekend in this area so I made my maiden trip with the tractor in tow. In appreciation to all who helped me with their advice in this thread I am posting a set of pictures of my rig. I took the pictures at the end of the trip, 110 miles. Except for a four mile climb up a mountain on Route 17 the ride went smooth. I just tucked into the line of over the road trailers going up the long hill, if I tried to go over 50mph on the hill I was going through too much shifting between gears, even with the tow lock engaged.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, the D-ring placement was on the money, the tractor balancing wasn't difficult with the instructions given and using chains and binders was very reassuring. I stopped twice to check the tension, I chalked the tractor tire and trailer deck and that puppy never moved the entire trip. She was locked down solid. I used two tie downs plus a security chain that was set beneath the FEL and around the front axels just for extra safety.

Mike

Attachments

• 286931-IMG_0792.JPG
    286931-IMG_0792.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 349
   / Trailer Setup #39  
Great pictures - keep them coming as you improve the system. Do you have a sway bar on the hitch?
PJ