Trailer Setup

/ Trailer Setup #1  

PondKeeper

Silver Member
Northern (Morris Cty) NJ & Western Sullivan Cty, N
Tractor
Kubota B7500, New Holland LS45
I purchased a new trailer and being the novice that I am I need suggestions about the setup. I appreciate and thank everyone in advance for their input. I have attached a photo of the trailer.

The trailer is a 16' x 82" deck with dual brakes and it has 24" dovetail to make loading my backhoe easier. There are two loading ramps that stow away in side compartments in the trailer frame, the compartments can be seen to the rear of the wheel.

What I need help with is what should I secure the tie downs into? Should I hook into the channel Frames or should I have D-Rings welded onto the sides and front?

There isn't enough space for a tounge box to be mounted and still have the room to adjust the swivel jack. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they setup a storage box for rigging, etc?

Thanks for the help

Mike.

Attachments

• 271282-Trail FulSide.JPG
    271282-Trail FulSide.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,269
   / Trailer Setup #2  
That looks like a top crank jack. Can you replace it with a side crank with an extendable leg? That would allow you to put a narrow box behind the jack next to the headboard since you would be winding the crank in the vertical pkane rather than the horizontal.

D rings would work if the structure is strong enough.

/ Trailer Setup #3  
Very nice looking trailer.
I haul a lot of heavy equipment at work on a 30 ton trailer. I feel that my tie downs are one of the most important part of hauling anything. My theory is that if the trailer would upset, I want the piece on the trailer to stay with it. With that in mind, I would suggest the D rings. When welding them on, even add some additional support for them. You want to tie your machine down tight!

Looks like you don't have much room for a tool box. How about a couple small boxes mounted underneath the front corners of the trailer with doors? They would be out of the way and have storage on both sides.

/ Trailer Setup #4  
Nice Trailer Mike!

As far as tie-downs I would just use the stake pockets on the side rails.

I had them put a extended tongue on my trailer knowing I would get a Tongue Box.

With the jack where it is you will not be able to get a tongue box in there. But all is not lost! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You just need a little inguinity! If it were me I would look into welding a platform off of the front rail hanging over the tounge just high enough to clear the jack. Then you can get a standard Fifth Wheel Tool Box . Then you will not loose any deck space.

just a thought, hope it helps,

/ Trailer Setup #6  
You could always add the spare on the side at the front of the trailer just behind the front rail.

/ Trailer Setup #7  
Another idea if you don't want to use the space behind the jack above the tongue rails is to use the forward section as a tray. If you weld a floor in and a front and back, you can use a hinged top for access. Nothing would protrude above the rails unless the access hatch was open.

I've got an old 60's flatbed that had a floor pan installed from the front bulkhead all the way to the front behind the coupler. The jack goes through the floor pan. It's handy for carrying blocks and chains. It's obviously not secure so I don't leave anything there I care about. It wouldn't take much to close yours in. That would leave the bulkhead free for a tire mount.

/ Trailer Setup #8  
Stake pockets seem fine though I only see the chain hooks threaded down and hooked on the top edge, allows gravity to keep them on in case chain loosens.

/ Trailer Setup #9  
Think about mounting a storage box on the front but up high enough so you have easy access to the front jack. If it's placed properly it could even extend out over the top of the hoe bucket.

Egon

/ Trailer Setup #10  
You could put a storage box on top of each fender. Or a box on one side and a rack for shovels, rakes, weedeaters, etc... on the other. Take a look at some landscaper trailers for ideas.