Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24?

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #1  

Bill601

Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
I have a New Holland Boomer 24. I need a trailer to transport it once in a while. Long trips would be 10 miles for service with no attachments. Short trips with mower would be less than 5 miles. I have many other non-tractor uses for the trailer, so I'd like to keep it as small and light as possible.

Would a 6x12 single-axle aluminum utility trailer work? The tractor would fit, but am I going to break the ramp the first time I drive up on it?

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #2  
Ok, your tractor is:

8133-td3a.jpg

1832 lbs bare
104" long
43.8" wide

But, the devil is in the details. The tractor will physically fit on a pretty small trailer. But, you should look at the weight rating of the trailer plus all accessories.

Does the mower fit?

I really don't like harbor freight aluminum ramps. But hopefully your ramps are rated for 2,000 to 3,000 lbs.

My preference is for tandem axles, so if you blow a wheel. You can keep driving or find a safe place to stop.

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24?
The mower deck would fit. It's a 5' mower. A little more with the grass deflector, but that folds up. I was referring to the ramps that come attached to these trailers - preferably the two-section type. The one shown in the attached image would be ideal.
1713484649429.png

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #4  
Will there be a loader or anything else other than the mowing deck attached?

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #5  
You're probably fine.
The trailer should have a weight rating. And the ramp too.

Is the trailer made in the USA? You could ask the manufacturer what their weight rating is. You would be down at about 500 lbs per wheel. You may briefly have all 4 wheels on the ramp, but only with the weight near the ends.

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #6  
I used to occasionally move around my old Deere 1025R with a 5.5'x12' trailer, and it worked well enough. When I'd remove the loader the fit was actually nice.

I wouldn't go making frequent trips, but to move it around locally it works.

20200519_121424.jpg 20200521_155824.jpg

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #7  
Oh, even with the mower raised to the max, it will reduce your clearance for the transition between bed and ramp. It may be easy to drag it.

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #8  
You are not going to be happy with a 6 x 12 trailer, you need a little room on a trailer to adjust the load forward or backward to get the right amount of tongue weight, personally I would think a 16' trailer with 2 axles would be a much better fit.

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #9  
White knuckle driving isn't fun. Don't buy a trailer that will be maxed out at capacity with your tractor or too small so you can't properly balance the load. If you question whether it will handle the weight on the ramp or while towing, you are looking at the wrong trailer. Between the towing vehicle, the tractor, and the trailer, the trailer is the cheapest part. Spend a little more to get the right one, not the cheapest one. It will help protect your investments in the other two.

/ Trailer Recommendations for Boomer 24? #10  
I've done a lot of hauling on my 4x8 "Haulin" flatbed trailer. I think I've had mowers on it, although the OP's Boomer is slightly on the large size. My tires should haul about a ton. It would be a tight fit, but the Boomer would probably fit.

The 6x12 should be fine. The big thing is to always be aware of the weight distribution on your vehicle. For cars, the engine is the heavy part. Tractors are probably similar, so I'd load it front end forward. Then check for negative tongue weight.

What is the tow vehicle?