Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer?

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #21  
I wanted the 10K but none were available so I went with 14K. I called Doolittle trailer mfg and asked about torsion axles. I was told that sometimes over time, torsion axles change (gain memory) and get weaker. I don't know. But I got slipper axles with self lub bearings because of what I was told.

When you add your tractor, chains, binders, trailer weight, spare, and an implement, you may find it overweight on a 10K.

I have taken my trailer many times empty to pick up my tractor or other loads. Wonder what he thought the problem was traveling empty? Never heard of that. But I have heard of bending an axle when traveling overweight (like being too heavy and not slowing down for railroad tracks. )

I am glad I got 14K. I would have regretted the 10K and struggled to keep it within weight limits. My trailer is a 14K 20' tilt bed Doolittle EZ Loader. It tracks well both empty and loaded. View attachment 766342
ljjhouser Airstream trailers all use torsion axles. Starting at about 10 years, the trailers begin to sag on the axles.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #22  
ljjhouser Airstream trailers all use torsion axles. Starting at about 10 years, the trailers begin to sag on the axles.
This got posted before I got finished.
Some owners go so far as to place their trailers on jacks under the frame, so the axles don't carry any weight while the trailer is parked. Unlike leaf springs, torsion axles cannot be "beefed up" by adding a leaf.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #23  
I'm in the trailer market and am going to buy an aluminum 22' with fold up ramps. I'm leading towards a 14k (7+7) over a 10K torsion axle setup. I'll be hauling my Kubota L6060 with loader which is around 5,000lbs plus the additional weight of any implements it might have attached, maybe another 1,000lbs. Or I'll be hauling 2 side by sides that total around 4,000lbs. The dealer is saying I could damage the 14k trailer if I don't carry enough weight on it. I've not heard that before, any thoughts? Should I go with the 10k over the 14k? I like that the 14k has 16", 8 lug wheels.
I have a l4740 cab tractor and a 10k trailer it works and tractor weight is under capacity for the trailer but definitely regretting not going with the 12 or 14k option because of the way the trailer flexes and acts like it is overloaded

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #24  
Only thing I ever heard about torsion axles was that they can be damaged by driving over rough ground, etc. with a load on, not empty? Only torsion trailer that I ever had was a four horse GN. Hauled anything and everything not just horses, never hurt anything.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer?

The trailer in question. Becks is a good dealer and Legend makes a good aluminum trailer.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #26  
I have a 2 year old Aluma 14K aluminum equipment trailer with torsion axles. Tows absolutely fine empty.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #27  
I suspect the dealer has misunderstood something he was told.
Suggestion, carry a 12V air compressor and change the preassure to suit the load instead of running max preassure loaded or empty. My trailer ,empty on hard tyres(60 psi) will jump around a lot on poor quality roads. I drop my tyre preassure to 16 psi EMPTY and the trailer tracks well. My tyres are commercial tyres and max preassure is 60 psi with a max load of 625 kg.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #28  
I wonder if maybe they have short supply of the heavier axles and were told to 'guide' people toward the lighter ones? Typically, heavier is more expensive and has more cost, so more potential profit. However, sometimes things are not typical.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #29  
A few things come to mind.

First, dealer is crazy. People that deliver stuff (like tractors and equipment) like dealers, rental companies, etc all are empty half the time. And the load cant get any lighter than nothing.

So that leads me to second....just why is your dealer pushing 10k on you? Is it because they dont have 14k in stock? But do have 10k? Or maybe no one wants 10k and everyone gets the 14k trailers so he has a new two year old trailer that hes trying to move?

Final point....dont know the tow vehicle and dont want to turn this into a CDL vs no CDL debate.....but currently modern 1-ton DRW trucks are coming in at 14k GVWR. That makes any trailer attached with over a 12k rating; over 26k for the combination.

They do make 12k trailers too. And some even have the same 8-lug wheels and E-rated tires as the 14k stuff

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #30  
I have a boat trailer with torsion axles, had one fail recently. It is nothing short of disastrous.pushed the wheel up into the wheel well and destroyed the tire. Was close to home so limped on 3 wheels. Load is only 6000 pounds. Just my 2 cents on torsion axles.
Boat trailers have another issue to overcome. Getting dunked in water and possibly even salt water every trip.