Trailer Project

/ Trailer Project
Joe

Not at this time. The next time I take the wheels off I'll try to snap a picture. The basic set-up is a 40 inch long piece of square steel tubing 3/16 wall. This has a 2 inch diameter hole through the center.

I turned a bushing 2 inch O.D. with a 1 1/2 inch I.D. 2 1/4 inches long. The bushing is welded centered in the 2X4 sq. tubing. I made a U shape arrangement with a 1 1/2 inch diameter bore through the legs of the U.

The square steel tubing with bushing fits inside the U with a grade 5, 1 1/2 inch diameter bolt through the U and bushing that acts as the pivot. The whole thing looks some what like a tetter totter with an axle attached to each end of the square steel tubing, bushing in the middle. Tires are 185/70-14 off a Dodge Caravan.

Hope this helps.

Randy

/ Trailer Project #12  
Neat! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Trailer Project #13  
I'm guessing the Caravan had a Beam Axle. Am I right in thinking that the entire axle is not used, just the backing plate to hold the hub and spindle? From the picture, it looks like the original wheels from the Caravans. Great rig.

Thanks

Joe

/ Trailer Project #14  
Nice trailer! I like the tettor totter axels...

I had/have access to lots of trailer house axles so I used one for my dump traielr, which I did take ON-ROAD but only for about 15 miles. it has 7000 lb springs under it and rides really poorly on-road, but I only plan on pulling it from my work shop to home one time... lol. I just put a Slow Moving sign on it and went as it is narrow to pull through stream & woods behind my tractor. photos of it here

www.bright.net/~ispike/home2

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Trailer Project #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe they call that a walking beam axle )</font>

And I believe you're right. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't believe I've seen a little trailer made like that, but I think I'd like it.

/ Trailer Project
Joe

You are correct. I only used the stub axle that bolts to the beam, four bolts and you have the backing plate, axle, and hub assembly. The back of the axle stub is nice and flat also.

I did have to build an extension to go between the stub and the tubing so the tire would not rub as the rims are dished quite a bit in the back. Wheels are as they came off the minivan, I think I'll pass on the hub caps. The only thing I would like to do is protect the valve stem, going through the woods may have it's dangers.

I did lay the whole thing out on AutoCAD in 3D before I started building. I found that very helpful.

To the rest of you thanks for the encouragement.

Randy

/ Trailer Project #18  
Thanks for the reply. Very good use of materials. My old Chevy Cavalier had very simple rear hubs, too. I suppose the rear axles/hubs off of just abouut any front wheel drive vehicle would work.

/ Trailer Project #19  
Nice job! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI've been looking for and thinking about how to build myself a trailer for the same purposes as you've described. Mind if I copy your design? It's exactly what I've been looking for!

Corm

/ Trailer Project #20  
When putting together your walking beam be sure that the leading half is shorter than the trailing half. Doing so will lengthen the life of your tires plus make it pull or track better.