Trailer Project

/ Trailer Project #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
He is my first try at posting a picture. The trailer is to assist in gathering fire wood and other around the house chores. It has two wheels on each side that are on a common axle beam to allow the trailer to go over obstacles without tipping.
Another picture should show this feature better.

After all the talk about the color of tractor related items I had to paint this to match the tractor.

Randy

Attachments

• 371022-wagon5a1.jpg
    371022-wagon5a1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 938
   / Trailer Project
Here is a view that shows how the tires can climb over things without tipping the trailer as much.

Randy

Attachments

• 371027-wagon1a11.jpg
    371027-wagon1a11.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 809
   / Trailer Project
One more showing the ground clearance.

I wanted a trailer I could put about 1/2 cord of wood in that was low and narrow enough to reach across from one side. I also wanted the body to be 8 feet long for other hauling jobs. The wheel width could not exceede the rear wheel track of the tractor.

I saw a similar type trailer but the price was over $3,000.00.
I have about $300.00 into this one, I decided to purchase new steel rather than look for used stuff.

Randy

Attachments

• 371029-wagon3a12.jpg
    371029-wagon3a12.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 660
   / Trailer Project #4  
That's a nice finished product Randy. Thanks for sharing.

Egon

/ Trailer Project #5  
Very nice!

Nothing wrong with DIY and saving big $$$. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Trailer Project #6  
Randy,

That is a really fine looking trailer! Good job. I would sure enjoy one just like it.

Kevin

/ Trailer Project #7  
Wow,
Looks great and fun to build.
Can we ask about how many $$ it took to do yourself?

/ Trailer Project #8  
Very nice. Could we have a little more detail about that cool axle feature?

/ Trailer Project
I had seen this style of axle on a couple of other trailers for the logging industry some were made especially for use behind ATV's and some were for over the road use behind road tractors.

The wheels and axles come from the rear of a Dodge Caravan, four bolts and you have backing plate and stub axle in one nice package. They are bolted to a piece of square steel tubing which has a bushing in the center with a 1 1/2 inch diameter bolt for the pivot. I drilled center of the bolt for a grease fitting.

I had another trailer I put together with a single axle which when loaded and going through soft ground would sink in a lot. The idea behind two wheels on each side in this arrangement was less ground pressure and the ability to move over rough ground with less resistance.

I have loaded about 1/2 cord of red oak which was just cut on it in the woods and had to cover some soft ground, about 10" of mud without a problem. There is much less resistance going over bumps and dips than a single axle style because one wheel doesn't have to bear all the load and the traditional tandem axle can only accomadate small bumps before a wheel lifts off the ground.

I do not plan on pulling this with anythong but the tractor so having no springs is not a issue. I have noticed that going over the dirt road at full tractor speed the trailer doesn't bounce going over washboard.

I am happy with the outcome.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Randy

/ Trailer Project #10  
That looks like quite a rig. Do you have any pictures of it from the side with the wheels off so we can see the suspension?

Joe