Trade MF1547 for MF1749?

/ Trade MF1547 for MF1749? #81  
Update:

I put more time on the tractor yesterday ( I now have 40 hrs on it, including the test drive) and I love this thing. Having a cab is awesome and the HST is a huge improvement for most (maybe all) of the stuff I do. It also seems that the tractor has a bit more power than before the remote valve replacement. Since that valve was replaced it runs smoother and gets much better fuel economy. I think the service manager was right about that. He said the remote valve bouncing back and forth would cause the engine to work harder and consume more fuel.

The big snow meltdown has started here, so yesterday I was moving my snow equipment to a storage location and moving a bunch of snow away from the house with the FEL. I look for excuses to use the new tractor. I used it for about 2 hours and was only wearing a T shirt and still warm. I had the heat switch turned to cold and the fan on medium to keep the inside cab temp comfortable. I tried the AC for a bit just to make sure it was working, since I never tried this on my test drive (it was -20C at the time and sure didn't need AC). When I got out of the cab I sure noticed how cold and windy it was but it was nice and toasty warm in the cab. There are still some odd hydraulic noises when using the loader and I'm pretty sure it is just that the valve needs adjustment. I did adjust the loader to get the float function to work but I may have moved the adjustment nut a bit too far. I need to play around with the 2 adjustments to see if there is a sweet spot for them.

I wish I would have made the move to a Cab and HST a long time ago.

In Texas, the cab comes in handy with AC. The only issue that I have had in 2 tractors is transmission temps. I had the 50 hour inspection and fluid change done with Massey oil. It sucks! I have changed to a Chevron full synthetic and just completed an oil analysis and all were within the manufacturers spec for new oil. I have since been told Massey came out with a semi but I am going to leave success alone. I think Hillbillys issues would have been fixed with the better oil. Other people fixed their issues with the better oil. I had a 1754 that locked up going down the road. Bucket slammed the road and I cracked a rib. I could not cut with an 8ft. brush hog. Took it back and went to the 1758. Had the same oil issue as with the 1754 and my oil jobber told me about the full synthetic. Have not looked back since. I had a Massey rep out 7 times (I think) looking at the hydraulics. I was so frustrated I looked at a 75HP Deere. Changed oil to trade it in and the synthetic did the trick. The new Massey are Iseki based.

I like the fact the 1758 fits in the garage. The heat will not blister the paint. The AC is a little weak. The seat needs to be air ride. I am going to get the glass tinted and see if that will help. All in all, I went from hating Massey to now it gets the job done.

/ Trade MF1547 for MF1749?
In Texas, the cab comes in handy with AC. The only issue that I have had in 2 tractors is transmission temps. I had the 50 hour inspection and fluid change done with Massey oil. It sucks! I have changed to a Chevron full synthetic and just completed an oil analysis and all were within the manufacturers spec for new oil. I have since been told Massey came out with a semi but I am going to leave success alone. I think Hillbillys issues would have been fixed with the better oil. Other people fixed their issues with the better oil. I had a 1754 that locked up going down the road. Bucket slammed the road and I cracked a rib. I could not cut with an 8ft. brush hog. Took it back and went to the 1758. Had the same oil issue as with the 1754 and my oil jobber told me about the full synthetic. Have not looked back since. I had a Massey rep out 7 times (I think) looking at the hydraulics. I was so frustrated I looked at a 75HP Deere. Changed oil to trade it in and the synthetic did the trick. The new Massey are Iseki based.

I like the fact the 1758 fits in the garage. The heat will not blister the paint. The AC is a little weak. The seat needs to be air ride. I am going to get the glass tinted and see if that will help. All in all, I went from hating Massey to now it gets the job done.

After reading about the issues some people had with their 1758's until they switched to the Chevron full synthetic I decided that would be the first thing I would do when I got the 1749 and I did. As soon as I got it home I changed all of the fluids and filters on the tractor, including switching over the hydraulic fluid to the Chevron full synthetic. That's what is in it now and I have about 45hrs on this oil. The most recent hydraulic issue I had was that the loader control valve was leaking and I believe it was sucking air because I could see the oil was cloudy in the sight glass after using the loader. Now that the leak has been fixed I don't see the cloudy appearance anymore.

However there is a new issue that has developed. Yesterday, after working the tractor hard for about 2 hrs, I started heading up my driveway to go home and the tractor started acting strange, like it was loosing power intermittently. I checked the temp gauge and it was at 3 bars, I checked the soot level and it was 4 bars. I'm thinking it could be a PDF issue. I read some other thread where an owner was having issues and it turned out that the tractor soot level was showing 4 bars but when the dealer hooked up their computer it was showing 8 bars. I also recall he tried to undertake a manual DPF burn but the tractor won't initiate one until several conditions are met and one of those conditions is that there must be 7 or 8 bars showing on the soot level. With only 4 bars showing the tractor will not initiate a manual burn and it takes 5 or 6 bars to initiate an auto burn.

I like this Massey and if it operated properly from day one I would not have gone looking for something else. But with the problems I've already had and the fact that there is no basic warranty left I decided to get something new with FULL warranty. It might have been a new Massey 1760M but since there aren't any close enough for me to see / try, I decided to look at a Kubota L6060. The local dealer had one in stock, with more on the way, and I was able to take it home for a day to try it out. There are some things I like better on the Massey and some I like better on the Kubota. At the end of the day I traded the Massey in for a Kubota L6060 with full warranty. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive from Japan. Time will tell if that was a good move or not.

/ Trade MF1547 for MF1749? #84  
Been following this post, it would be great if you could follow up once you get your L6060, your likes and dislikes with Kubota vs your current Massey. I chose a 4066r over the Massey 1760m because it was difficult to find anybody online with any sort of new M series seat time.

let me know. And thanks for the feedback.

I will and thanks for all your help with the hydraulic fluid input. I honestly believe it did make a difference with this tractor. I was actually considering keeping it but the last straw was the new issue that came up yesterday. I can't trust this tractor and wish I could. The new one is costing a LOT more but at least I will have full warranty.

Been following this post, it would be great if you could follow up once you get your L6060, your likes and dislikes with Kubota vs your current Massey. I chose a 4066r over the Massey 1760m because it was difficult to find anybody online with any sort of new M series seat time.

I can tell you some of the things I like better on them now. It was very nice to be able to have both tractors here at the same time. However there were some fundamental issues that must be pointed out. The Massey 1749 I have now has an aftermarket bucket on it that is heavy duty, with a struck capacity of 16.9 cu. ft (way too big for this tractor). The Massey also has loaded rear tires and the Kubota did not. The Massey is only 49 HP and the Kubota is 60 HP. Now for the good and the bad.

The Massey:
-Power steering is much better - easier to turn.
-The seat is more comfortable than the air ride in the Kubota I tested.
-The loader (DL130 not the DL135) seems to have more lift than the Kubota.
-I like the 2 pedal controls better, however there are times I catch my foot under the reverse pedal when letting off the forward pedal. This is bad because I am expecting the tractor to stop and it doesn't.
-The PTO shaft does not stick out as far as the Kubota and this allows the use of the 3 different mounting holes for the top link, without hitting the PTO shaft safety cover.
-The grab handle for entering the cab is longer and extends lower which makes it easier for short guys like me to grab.
-The cab light can be activated by opening the cab door. Not so on the Kubota.
-The 3PTH lever rattles and makes a heck of a noise while traveling in high gear. It also moves down as you travel. This could probably be fixed with some adjustments and rubber washers.
-There is a small tool box at the back of the tractor, right where you want it. I keep a small hammer, some pins, bailing wire and such in it.

The Kubota:
-Love the HDS transmission. There are more gears to choose from and that allows me to travel at the fastest speed possible.
-More hp is huge. I can do the same work as the Massey but at twice the speed. Don't know how much that would change if the Kubota had loaded rear tires.
-The Kubota comes with 2 rear remotes standard and the Massey only comes with one.
-The 3PTH control lever does not rattle or move its position while traveling but the stop adjuster is garbage and basically useless. I will end up making something to replace it.
-The air conditioner works better and there are 4 fan settings instead of 3 like the Massey.
-There is no external tool box and I will end up making something to mount at the rear. I have already figured out where it will go without drilling or cutting the tractor.
-The engine seems to run smoother.
-I do not like the treadle pedal but will likely get used to it.
-The loader hydraulics are much smoother and easier to combine curl and lift functions at the same time. Almost impossible on the Massey (at least when lifting a load - not bad when lowering).

I would say the things I like best on the Massey are the power steering and the seat. The things I like best on the Kubota are the DHS, the power (although this is a 60hp tractor - not fair to compare to the Massey 49HP) and the smooth loader controls.

I'm sure there are other points but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

/ Trade MF1547 for MF1749? #87  
I agree on many of your comparison points. I feel that the Kubota loader valving system does a much better job at multi-function and is smoother than the loader valve system on the Massey. With that said, I believe the Massey loader is also stronger than the comparable Kubota loader. My machine is a 1652, so I have the older Iseki engine, no electronics as far as fuel injection and emissions are concerned. My machine has a mechanical fuel pump which is easy to service and adjust.

My machine also has the directional travel foot controls mounted through the floor directly to the transmission valving system, versus the hanging pedals that link to the electronic system on your machine. I haven't ever noticed the issue of getting a foot caught under the pedals, but I can understand how it may happen with the pedals hanging such as with your system. I am grateful for the mechanical controls and the lack of electronic software adjustment issues that others seem to have with the newer machines

When traveling at high speeds, I do notice that my 3-point lever rattles. it's something I've gotten used to and so I don't even notice it anymore. Plus I'm not traveling at high speed on the road that often so it's a rare occurrence. With that said, I find that the rear lift control is smoother on the Kubota, and the lever will also lower the arms on the Kubota where on my machine, gravity or weight must lower the arms, the lever will not do it when the arms are empty.

You are definitely right that the PTO shaft sticks out way further on the Kubota. I always thought that looked like a potential integrity issue and in fact my buddy broke the PTO shaft on his Kubota machine... Of course the length of the shaft sticking out of the housing may not have had anything to do with the break, but I suspect it may have been part of it.

I feel that the levers for the three-point and rear remotes are in a more ergonomic location (and nicer handles) on the Massey. I use my remotes all the time and I like the location of the levers.

Unless Kubota changed their marketing and manufacturing practices, I am very surprised to hear you say that the l6060 comes standard with two sets of rear remotes. I've always seen people talk about Kubota not coming standard with any rear remotes and they all must be ordered at the time of purchase. I priced a Kubota about 3-4 years ago and that was the case when I was looking anyhow....

One of my buddies has a Kubota L5240 (the above-mentioned machine that broke a PTO shaft). I have a good amount of seat time on his machine. I hear people rave about the HST plus with its six speeds. I really haven't noticed it to be stronger, more efficient or better to use than my machine. I really think you must have something wrong with your hydraulic system because my machine is a beast in medium-range and I spin the tires in medium without much effort, even with loaded rear tires. I can plow snow in high range in most cases and I use high range to finish off my gravel grading as well. I can travel comfortably at any speed I want in low or medium range regardless of what I'm doing, and in high range I can usually travel at or near top speed, just depends on the task and terrain.

I've thought many times about selling this machine to get something shiny and new with a warranty, but I can't bring myself to do it. The 1652 is just too good and dependable of a tractor. I'm right at 1000 hours and I don't see any signs of it slowing down.

It's too bad you had issues with the Massey you bought. Obviously you bought it used at a discount and with that situation there's always the risk of a mystery or anomaly without good dealer intervention or support.

Wish you the best of luck with your l6060

Last edited:
My 1547 also had the Iseki engine in it and other than a few minor issues when I first bought it (new) it performed flawlessly for the 10 years and 850 hrs that I had it. But I'm getting older and not wanting to be exposed to the bone chilling cold of winter when plowing so I decided to get a cab and wanted to try HST. As soon as I tried those features I knew that is what I was going to get.

I looked for older used machines without the electronics and pollution control crap on them but they were rare as hens teeth and absolutely none anywhere near me. I wish I could have found a machine just like yours. If you are happy with it, don't sell it or sell it to me.:)

The tractor I bought had 185 hrs on it with one previous owner. I certainly don't expect a tractor that is just barely broken in to have any serious issues. I expect the previous owner would have had those addressed while it was still under warranty. However this tractor is anything but problem free. Before I bought it I discovered the faulty loader valve that the dealer had to replace for the deal to close ($2,500). I picked it up from the selling dealer and drove it 2 blocks to the Massey dealer to have them check it out. They found another defective valve and that cost me $1,700. I brought it home and it still was not working properly and I think that was partially due to the leaking loader valve that was installed by the selling dealer. They fixed that and the tractor was running better but sill not 100% in my opinion. Now there is a new issue. So far this tractor has had $4,200 of repairs and it still does not work right and I'm not prepared to keep throwing money at it, especially given my experience with this tractor.

I watched a Youtube video of a guy with a Massey 1758 going along a flat section of road with his bucket full of firewood and pulling a trailer full of firewood. He started climbing a hill and the tractor continued to pull the load, however it was loosing speed. The one thing that really stood out to me was that while the tractor was working very hard it was not making any weird sounds, like mine does sometimes. He stopped, put the tractor into mid range and pulled that load up the hill from a stand still. There is no way this tractor will do that. My driveway ranges from flat sections to a long 10% section and then a 15% section. This tractor will not run in high anywhere other than the flat section. In medium it will get up to top speed in the sections that are under about 10% but in the other areas it will slow down to about 6 mph. In the 15% section it will slow right down to about 4 to 5 mph and I sometimes shift into low. That is with no load other than the loader and loaded tires. The Kubota runs all of it in high but in some sections I shift to the low speed in high. I'm not sure about the 15% section as I never tried it there.

I truly wish I did not have to spend another $30,000 to get a tractor I can rely on and maybe the Kubota will have issues too but at least if it does it will be covered under warranty.

/ Trade MF1547 for MF1749? #89  
True... Yeah I was following along with the issues you were having with the 1749 when you bought it. Truly unfortunate, seems like that machine has too many hydraulic Gremlins to deal with and I certainly don't blame you for getting rid of it.

There are still a couple 1652 cab machines that I see on TractorHouse for around $25k. Obviously you already bought your L6060 so I'm not suggesting you buy one of those 1652 machines. But it's too bad you couldn't have checked them out before making a purchase.

Regardless, I'm sure the L6060 will be a good machine for you... Kubota makes good products.

True... Yeah I was following along with the issues you were having with the 1749 when you bought it. Truly unfortunate, seems like that machine has too many hydraulic Gremlins to deal with and I certainly don't blame you for getting rid of it.

There are still a couple 1652 cab machines that I see on TractorHouse for around $25k. Obviously you already bought your L6060 so I'm not suggesting you buy one of those 1652 machines. But it's too bad you couldn't have checked them out before making a purchase.

Regardless, I'm sure the L6060 will be a good machine for you... Kubota makes good products.

Believe me I spent a lot of time checking the tractor search sites for non electronic, non pollution control, cab HST tractors but couldn't find anything that wasn't 1,000's of miles from me. At this point I've only put a small deposit on the Kubota and might be able to get it back or I could walk away from it if the right tractor showed up all of a sudden.