Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,901  
Here's some serious reclaiming of some farmland here on my place, I have a few overgrown acres I want to expand a hayfield, into,

Resized-20220826-133540-S.jpg

Sometimes I drove in right over the brush hogging it out, and sometimes I backed in with the rotary cutter up about ten inches and then drove ahead with it down.

Either way, my Brush Bull really eats that one-to-two-inch brush up!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,902  
Does anyone recognize the items in the picture labeled "Salisbury?" I'm guessing they must be a common item used by loggers. But I can't find anything about them (or similar even.)

They bite into the end of a log. Then raise the chain mid-log with tractor forks and drive away. I've found them to be much faster than using a grapple and better for putting a log on the sawmill than forks alone.

What are they?

LoggingHooks.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,903  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,904  
Thanks for the quick reply!

Re: "They were extremely dangerous and discontinued there use after killing and hurting many loggers."

Seems intuitive bad things could happen fast if one of them loses its bite on a lifted log. I've used a set recently to place logs on my sawmill and so far its been uneventful. Not sure how many other ways these were used in the past.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,905  
I'd say "loggers" did a lot more high lifting than you will do lifting onto the mill. Of course any lifted log can do major damage to the human body in short order.
I don't see why something similar could not be a diy project.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,906  
Thanks for the quick reply!

Re: "They were extremely dangerous and discontinued there use after killing and hurting many loggers."

Seems intuitive bad things could happen fast if one of them loses its bite on a lifted log. I've used a set recently to place logs on my sawmill and so far its been uneventful. Not sure how many other ways these were used in the past.
A little scary to me putting logs on the sawmill with the tractor, seems things could go sideways in a hurry, I load mine on a log deck and just roll them onto the saw.IMG_3526.JPGIMG_3534.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,907  
A little scary to me putting logs on the sawmill with the tractor,
I started using a grapple to put logs on my mill. Its a very heavy grapple and I don't have very fine control of it-- leading to banging some logs on the mill. Then I started using forks-- close approach, slight tilt down, and roll onto the mill.

But the logging hooks work best/are most gentle on placing a log. At least so far. :)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,908  
I started using a grapple to put logs on my mill. Its a very heavy grapple and I don't have very fine control of it-- leading to banging some logs on the mill. Then I started using forks-- close approach, slight tilt down, and roll onto the mill.

But the logging hooks work best/are most gentle on placing a log. At least so far. :)

Try a grapple like this. Not heavy, bites the log, and allows precise control.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,909  
Try a grapple like this. Not heavy, bites the log, and allows precise control.
Looks very interesting. Only about 20 lbs heavier than my pallet forks. Around 350lb.

My HLA root grapple is ~950lbs. Really takes away from lifting capacity which is another reason I have been using forks .... this lighter grapple could be much better.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,910  
Add a grapple to your forks, and you will have the best of both worlds!

Resized-20211105-132632-S.jpg

It gives me total control of the logs as I load them on my mill.

SR