3-Point Hitch Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS
Cross-drawbar Caution: The Three Point Hitch relies on "tongue weight" (mass of the load bearing down on the Lower Links) for vertical stability. The Three Point Hitch does not include a latch to prevent unanticipated upward movement of the Lower Links, cross-drawbar and wheeled load.

Reversal of tongue weight may occur as cart load is pulled up a slope, over uneven ground, if a cart is inadvisedly loaded at the rear first rather than the front or center first, or if someone steps on rear of the load, shifting weight distribution to the rear. Caution with two-wheeled drawn implements is also advised, for identical reasons. The potential for load upset, tractor upset and human injury is there.

Will someone please contribute a thread reference here? I have no experience restraining Lower Links in my woods work over flat Foriida land.

"You will find reference to using chains or such to limit vertical movement of Lower Links for such loads."

Factors that cause a tractor to tip over backward include the load and height of the hitch from the ground.

Positionng Lower Links and cross-drawbar above rear axle height may cause a tractor or the drawn load to tip over backward. Any time you are pulling a load with a tractor, the load is trying to pull the tractor over backward, especially when moving up a slope, when load is lower on the slope than the tractor. The tractor tries to pivot around the point where the rear wheels touch the ground. The Three Point Hitch does not include a latch to prevent unanticipated upward movement of the Lower Links, cross-drawbar and tongue of wheeled load.

Any time you pull a load with a tractor, the load is trying to pull the tractor over backward. The Three Point Hitch relies on "tongue weight" (mass of the load bearing down on the Lower Links) for vertical stability. The Three Point Hitch does not include a latch to prevent unanticipated upward movement of the Lower Links, cross-drawbar and wheeled load.

The Three Point Hitch and optional cross-drawbar are designed to pull heavy loads at or below rear axle height, over level ground, with minuscule risk of a backward upset. When the cross drawbar is raised, the chance of a backward upset increases. Always position Lower Links and cross-drawbar at the level of the rear axle or as low as conditions permit.

Extra hazard exists as a loaded cart is pulled up a slope, over uneven ground, if a cart is inadvisedly loaded at the rear first rather than the front or center first, or if someone steps on rear of the load, shifting weight distribution to the rear. Caution with two-wheeled drawn implements is advised, for identical reasons.

[Subject credit: KTHOMPSON]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.42.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.42.34 AM.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.16.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.16.05 AM.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Cross-drawbars are readily available, sized for Category 1 and Category 2 Three Point Hitches in various widths. Cross-drawbars accept accessory clevis and bolt-on installations. Several are visible in photos.

Cross-drawbars are readily available in 20" width for subcompact tractor, 26" width for Category 1 compact tractors and 38" width for Category 2 tractors. Cross-drawbars accept accessory clevis and bolt-on installations. Several attachments are visible in photos.

Working Draft 1.1

CROSS-DRAWBAR Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.06.48 AM.png CROSS-DRAWBAR​

A tractor cross-drawbar mounts through the "bullseyes" integral to the left and right Lower Links of the Three Point Hitch then secured with lynch pins. An inexpensive fitting, known as a drawbar lock, Photo #1, couples the cross-drawbar and one Lower Link to prevent the cross-drawbar from twisting/turning on its axis. Alternately to a drawbar lock, a substantial vertical component, Photo #2, is bolted to the cross drawbar, adding a Top Link connection and a receiver hitch at the base. A third option is an integrated, triangulated cross-drawbar, Photo #3, which includes a Top Link connection. Option three is the high value hardware.

Cross-drawbars are readily available in 20" width for subcompact tractor, 26" width for Category 1 compact tractors and 38" width for Category 2 tractors. Cross-drawbars accept accessory clevis and bolt-on installations. Several attachments are visible in photos. Mild steel is used for cross-drawbars so they bend, gently, rather than fail catastrophically under a heavy load.

A cross-drawbar allows elevation of pulled loads using Three Point Hitch hydraulic power. With 4" to 6" of elevation loads are unlikely to encounter obstructions either stopping the tractor or driving the tractor vertical if the operator in not alert.
(I once had a Deere 750 vertical, towing timbers from the rear/center drawbar.)
With loads elevated less of the load is in ground contact, decreasing friction of the load against the ground and preventing the load from plowing dirt. In some circumstances elevation permits heavier loads to be pulled.
Photos #4 - #6.

The disadvantage of a cross-drawbar is its integration with the Three Point Hitch, a weaker connection point than the tractor frame/chassis. An imprudent operator could damage the Three Point Hitch with imprudent loads or imprudent operation. With loads perpendicular to a cross-drawbar substantial strain is placed on perforated, mild steel bar. Most cross-drawbars in use for some time show distortion but remain functional; mine included, Photo #2.

Any time you are pulling a load with a tractor, the load is trying to pull the tractor over backward. The Three Point Hitch relies on "tongue weight" (mass of the load bearing down on the Lower Links) for vertical stability. The Three Point Hitch does not include a latch to prevent unanticipated upward movement of the Lower Links, cross-drawbar and a wheeled load. Photo #7.

Sudden reversal of tongue weight may occur as cart load is pulled up a slope, over uneven ground, if a cart is inadvisedly loaded at the rear first rather than the front or center first, or if someone steps on rear of the load, shifting weight distribution to the rear. Caution with two-wheeled drawn implements is also advised, for identical reasons. The potential for load upset, tractor upset and human injury is there.

The Three Point Hitch and optional cross-drawbar are designed to pull heavy loads at or below rear axle height, over level ground, with minuscule risk of a backward upset. When the cross drawbar is raised above rear axle height, the potential for a backward upset increases. Always position Lower Links and cross-drawbar at the level of the rear axle or as low as conditions permit.

REAR/CENTER DRAWBAR DSC00514.JPG REAR/CENTER DRAWBAR​

Integral to the tractor is a rear/center drawbar which is attached directly to the tractor frame/chassis. Rear/center drawbar does not elevate; it is fixed. Rear/center drawbar in photo has a clevis mount chain grab hook attached, a ubiquitous fitting. (Rear/center drawbar is often a new tractor factory option on lighter tractors.)

The advantage of the rear/center drawbar is its fixed attachment to the tractor frame/chassis, the strongest connection possible. On my kubota L3560 the rear/center drawbar is always in place. The rear/center drawbar does not interferes with Three Point Hitch implements nor the mounted cross-drawbar.

If you must pull a cart or two wheeled implement over uneven ground or up a slope, bolt on appropriate size hitch-ball to the fixed rear/center drawbar.

Photo #2 ~ Omni Mfg., LLC, Deerwood, MN Combo Draw Bar Trailer vertical component. (2/2012)
LINK: Combo Hitches - OMNI Mfg LLC

Photo #3 ~ Triangle Cross-Drawbar Hitch
LINKS (2): 3 point hitch drawbar in Heavy Equipment, Parts & Attachments | eBay

Tractor 3 Point Hitch Adapter, tractor hitch adapter

Google Images: TRACTOR cross drawbar - Google Search

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.01.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.01.02 AM.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 209
  • 86545.jpg
    86545.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00130.JPG
    DSC00130.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 152
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 153
  • DSC00133.JPG
    DSC00133.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.42.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.42.34 AM.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
   / Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #15  
Ask and you shall receive ...
Re: Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS
Cross-drawbar Caution: The Three Point Hitch relies on "tongue weight" (mass of the load bearing down on the Lower Links) for vertical stability. The Three Point Hitch does
not include a latch to prevent unanticipated upward movement of the Lower Links, cross-drawbar and wheeled load.
Reversal of tongue weight may occur as cart load is pulled up a slope, over uneven ground, if a cart is inadvisedly loaded at the rear first rather than the front or center first,
or if someone steps on rear of the load, shifting weight distribution to the rear. Caution with two-wheeled drawn implements is also advised, for identical reasons. The potential for
load upset, tractor upset and human injury is there.
Will someone please contribute a thread reference here? I have no experience restraining Lower Links in my woods work over flat Foriida land.
"You will find reference to using chains or such to limit vertical movement of Lower Links for such loads."

3PH Locked.jpg

Living on land that has some very steep slopes and having the load slide back while climbing one of those slopes caused an increase in drag, coupled with a reduction in traction as the rear of the trailer started dragging and the drawbar went from pushing down thru the 3pt to lifting thru the 3pt. The resulting loss of traction caused me to spin all 4 wheels as I tried to climb up the hill and the dropped rear of the trailer dug in deeper when I tried to back down the hill. I was stuck. With a steep drop off to the left and a steep up-slope to the right, turning wasn't an option, either. I was stuck, but good. I put the brakes on, placed a log behind the rear tractor tires (unless I'm on level ground I don't trust the parking brake, especially when the trailer is trying to lift the rear axle). Convinced that the tractor-trailer combination was adequately immobilized, I climbed into the trailer and moved the load forward until the rear of the trailer lifted off the ground and the 3pt dropped back down. I was then able to climb out of the holler and back up to the level field. I chained the hitch (pictured) to keep the hitch from lifting, should the load ever shift again. It does this very effectively. What it doesn't do is change the lifting force applied to the 3pt by the trailer when the load shifts aft, which reduces traction (and braking). As a former truck driver, I am ashamed to admit that I was guilty of the basic offense of "Failure to Secure the Load". More attention to trailer load management & less reliance on hitch band aids are my take aways from the experience.
-Jim

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #16  
Interesting inverse concept to check chains...

577315d1541260061t-tractor-three-point-hitch-cross-3ph-locked-jpg

Never quit thought of imbalance causing 3PH to rise without some sort of restraint...

Dale

/ Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #17  
Glad I ran across this older thread. Jeff 9366 took time to try to save others unaware of this very serious problem. And Baby Grand helped verify how quickly it can happen. A seemingly routine task can turn into injury or death before we can do anything fast enough to prevent it. Any new tractor owners need to heed these guys advice so as not to become a statistic. Not all tractor deaths are rollovers as we all know. As a Rural Fireman for many years I witnessed this firsthand. Three accidents came to mind. All were Local. All had tractors and experienced owner/operators. The same scenario in all three was they were pulling bigger/heavier loads than the tractor could handle. So after repeatedly spinning out each one decided maybe moving the chain up higher on the tractor would help get better traction by pulling down a bit. A deadly decision. So reread Jeff9366 and Baby Grands posts as it could save you or a family injury or death. Thanks for your informative posts guys. Have a safe Spring, and pull with your drawbar on heavy loads if possible. Earl

MAX-24-Dean - 7/1/2022​

Mahindra MAX24

Max 26 Trailer Towing Capacity from 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount.

I tow from the drawbar only, not the 3 point hitch.

I used the 1200 lbs. lift capacity on the three point hitch of my Max 24 to give me a ballpark value for safety. Used this value as what the brakes on the tractor can handle as extra load.

I tow a 4 wheel trailer with spead axles, so only the weight of the tongue is on the drawbar hitch. Tongue hitch weighs somewere in the 12 lb. range.

On level ground I have loaded it with 30 one hundred pound bales. does fine on level ground.

Max load going down the gravel drive with 9 percent slope has been 10 bales (so 10x100=1000 lb.s + trailer weight of 300 lbs. for total weight of 1300 lbs.) Wouldn't want to have much more weight than that going downhill

When I was 11 years old, I saw an accident where the tractor tipped over backwards onto a loaded single axle trailer that was connected to the 3 point hitch. It wasn't a sight I wanted to see at that age.

Please don't consider pulling any object with the 3 point hitch unless it is designed for ground engagement.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Three Point Hitch CROSS-DRAWBARS #19  
I just pulled down an old 36’ wide x 46’ long x 16’ wall barn, that my great great grandad had built in 1883, using the cross drawbar hitch on my JD 4120. I used a 1/2” wire rope thru a snatch block, attached to a big tree on the other end to double my pull.

It dropped very easy, with the tractor in the lowest gear. The cleanup is going to take me a while. 4 layers of tar shingles on top of two layers of cedar. The chestnut roofing boards and oak rafters under that is in pretty good shape. I am going to use that, and some of the 6” and 9” square hand-hewn posts and beams to build a big woodshed on the back of my new pole barn.

I would have liked to save that old barn, and another twin to it that I dropped a couple years ago to make room for my new pole barn, but the roofs and foundations were shot.

37B0C040-821D-43BE-9E49-1A0A0AC5C2FA.jpeg

FCC2E1E2-0DAA-426F-912E-BC7B5C53E201.jpeg

82A5D70D-FB14-4C1C-B6E5-E9C18DE02F33.jpeg