Tractor starts but dose not keep running

/ Tractor starts but dose not keep running #1  

Jerry B Good

Tractor
S650g
I just brought home a Satoh S650G. It will start but only run a few seconds and quit. It has gas and spark. Someone said it could be a ballast resistor. Any clues out there??

/ Tractor starts but dose not keep running #2  
omitted...was thinking diesel....

/ Tractor starts but dose not keep running #3  
Welcome to TBN. Disconnect fuel line from tank and ensure consistent flow. Sometimes there is blockage allowing only a trickle. Check or replace fuel filter. From there problem may be electrical. An intermittent ballast resistor is a possibility but if you bypass it you can confirm this. You can check the float setting on your carburetor and be sure when float goes down the needle valve opens. Check point adjustment and timing. Check gap and condition of spark plugs. How's the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires?

/ Tractor starts but dose not keep running
Welcome to TBN. Disconnect fuel line from tank and ensure consistent flow. Sometimes there is blockage allowing only a trickle. Check or replace fuel filter. From there problem may be electrical. An intermittent ballast resistor is a possibility but if you bypass it you can confirm this. You can check the float setting on your carburetor and be sure when float goes down the needle valve opens. Check point adjustment and timing. Check gap and condition of spark plugs. How's the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires?
Thanks for your input. It's great to have this resource available. I've checked points plugs and have good spark. Fuel pump working. When it starts up sounds strong, but only runs a few seconds...
If I was to check ballast resistor, where is it? Also does the fuel system have pressure regulated? Thanks again

/ Tractor starts but dose not keep running #5  
Fuel on a gasoline tractor is generally gravity fed. Remove fuel line from carburetor. You should get a steady flow, not stop after a few seconds. Ballast resistor is usually under the hood near the distributor. It's in line between switch and coil primary. Its purpose (if used) is to limit current through the points by dropping voltage. If bypassed you get a full twelve volts to the points. How's your condenser? Its purpose is to quench the spark across the points to reduce erosion by arcing. How are the points themselves? You can also contact Valley Power. They may have a manual for your tractor.

/ Tractor starts but dose not keep running #6  
You just brought it home? Did you add the gas or was that the gas in it/how does it smell?

Other points above are all good, if there's a petcock make sure it's open all the way and doesn't have a blockage, if there's a filter in the tank make sure there isn't debris that are drifting over it as fuel is drawn out. The fuel pump shutting off is probably normal but you can also disconnect the fuel out line and see if it will continue without triggering any pressure off if you're nervous about it.

I always check the easiest things first.

/ Tractor starts but dose not keep running #7  
Typically, the ballast resistor is only in the circuit during "Run". In "Start" position, the coil gets full voltage while cranking. If it starts then dies, it may well be a bad resistor.

You just brought it home? Did you add the gas or was that the gas in it/how does it smell?

Other points above are all good, if there's a petcock make sure it's open all the way and doesn't have a blockage, if there's a filter in the tank make sure there isn't debris that are drifting over it as fuel is drawn out. The fuel pump shutting off is probably normal but you can also disconnect the fuel out line and see if it will continue without triggering any pressure off if you're nervous about it.

I always check the easiest things fir

Thanks
I've made some progess.

Thanks