Tractor idling

/ Tractor idling #11  
No engine likes to idle. But for some reason many think that it's okay to let diesels do it.

That's probably because truckers used to do it while stopped for the night, to get heating or cooling. And those engines' piston rings weren't even made to seal at idle.

/ Tractor idling #12  
No engine likes to idle. But for some reason many think that it's okay to let diesels do it.

That's probably because truckers used to do it while stopped for the night, to get heating or cooling. And those engines' piston rings weren't even made to seal at idle.
I had a boss who would ask if the starter on that dump truck you’re driving is broken? If not why is it still running?

/ Tractor idling #14  
View attachment 807555
Not advisable. I was letting it warm up to full temp for snowblowing and not shutting it off doing other things.
Not anymore. Newer diesels don’t like it.
It's not your grandpa's Kubota - :LOL:
Get a kick out diesel truck owners who feel they have to leave it running while they go into the store to shop or whatever.
I call it Big Rig syndrome

/ Tractor idling #15  
It's not your grandpa's Kubota - :LOL:
Get a kick out diesel truck owners who feel they have to leave it running while they go into the store to shop or whatever.
I call it Big Rig syndrome

People still do that? Crazy as the world is now? That's a good way to get your pretty truck stolen.

/ Tractor idling #16  
Depending on the temperatures I may let my pickup idle when I go in some place in town for the AC or heat.
Same with my tractors if I going to be more comfortable if I leave it idling I do so.

/ Tractor idling #18  
I let all my diesels idle within reason with no issue.

/ Tractor idling #19  
A diesel doesn't care about starting and stopping anymore than a gas engine does, the reason to idle your diesel is if you have a turbo. Idling lets the oil cool down the turbo bearings before shutting down to help prevent the oil from coking and plugging up oil ports.

/ Tractor idling #20  
Normally I would say let it idle but with a regen system you are loading up the muffler with unburnt particles that will need to be burned off sooner or later by a regen cycle. So anymore than 5 min I would turn her off.
Scootr, that is what I thought when I bought my DK4510, that you want to keep RPMs up and not run at idle. I have rethought that recently thinking that you should not lug the engine, I.E. work it at low RPM. I think that parked idle is not going to load up the DEF because the engine is sipping fuel at idle and burning it completely.

Others, if I am wrong, please tell me where I am wrong. I do let it idle a several minutes before shutting down from hard working as well. I can see where running under load at low RPM would load up the DEF.

Last edited: