Tractor backhoe - homemade

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade #1,612  
Thanks. The plan is to make it grab concrete, wood and debris equally well. I hope it will
The Amulet HoeClamp that Renze showed back in message #1605 uses the motion of the bucket to close. It isn't independent like most hydraulic thumbs are. I've never seen a HoeClamp in operation, but it made me curious enough to ask my JD dealer call about buying a HoeClamp from Amulet last year for my JD310SG. Amulet said they didn't have one to fit. Instead, they wanted to steer me towards their more tradtional thumbs which they felt were more versatile.

The operation of the HoeClamp is quite a bit different from the hydraulic 4n1 or even the standard hydraulically-actuated thumb that is common on backhoes here. But the hoeclamp is very clever.

So I'm wondering what you plan to use for the clamping force... hydraulics or bucket leverage?

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade
#1,613  
I believe it could. Well I had hydraulic thumb on my previous backhoe and it's a great thing...with many downsides.

It has to have a pressure relief valve otherwise you can bend that cylinder in no time. Bucket cylinder is stronger and it has a leverage so it requires non stop attention while grabing stuff.
I think this type of bucket will be much more efficient and versatile.

It will dig with teeth, dig with flat edge, grade, grab objects, wood, stone, collect remaining soil, gravel etc which you can never collect without a hand shovel.

Clamp will have two cylinders, 6 ton force each. It should be enough

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade #1,614  
Having to clean up with a hand shovel I see I the real advantage of your 4-1 type clamshell bucket. Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share and explain your build.

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade #1,615  
I believe it could. Well I had hydraulic thumb on my previous backhoe and it's a great thing...with many downsides.

It has to have a pressure relief valve otherwise you can bend that cylinder in no time. Bucket cylinder is stronger and it has a leverage so it requires non stop attention while grabing stuff.
I think this type of bucket will be much more efficient and versatile.

It will dig with teeth, dig with flat edge, grade, grab objects, wood, stone, collect remaining soil, gravel etc which you can never collect without a hand shovel.

Clamp will have two cylinders, 6 ton force each. It should be enough
Yes, 12 tons should be overbuilt enough to satisfy anyone...depending of course on geometry.
I'm glad to see you making a new style of bucket. There aren't nearly enough special purpose buckets. I would love to have one of your style for our backhoes. I agree on the flat edge & need to grasp.

In fact, a good bucket for what I enjoy doing - building stone walls - would be the reverse of a digging bucket. the teeth would point away from the operator so it could slide under stones to pick them up, and the thumb would come down from above. It might also incorporate a "push-off". Sounds simple, but I've yet to see one.

As for the thumb downsides, I think there are solutions. I agree that it is critical for the thumb circuit to have a high quality relief valve. Otherwise it is destroyed by the stronger bucket curl.

I believe that it is also important for the bucket and thumb to rotate on a common main pivot so that both have the same center of rotation. Sharing a center or rotation allows the thumb and bucket to to be any shape. And making both thumb and bucket meet at their far ends will minimize rubbing forces as they curl together. After that, it's just a matter of getting the geometry right.... not always a simple task !

Enjoy your work,
rScotty

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade #1,618  
He's freaking awesome!

/ Tractor backhoe - homemade
#1,620  
Moving on with it. Cylinders are centered and tack welded on lower end. Jaw opens 90 cm at the blades and 82 cm at those side teeth. It should be enough to grab anything