Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #11  
   / Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #12  
10k is too much weight behind a half ton for any sort of frequency.

A 6,000lb boat behind a 2020 F150 Crew Cab V8 4x4 was a white knuckle ride when traffic slows suddenly on the highway, just not enough weight and stability. Plenty of power, trans would shift about every 7 seconds (10 spd) you get used to manually mode to prevent that.

16’ enclosed (7k gross) in a heavy cross wind is unnerving with an empty bed on the truck. Trailer is in control.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #13  
Owned a tractor company for several years and towed 40hp tractors and equipment, large trailer loads of equipment and did it all with a Toyota T100 V6 and she is still rolling today at 215K with no problems....

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #14  
You don’t say how far or what sort of terrain you’re driving but when I went through this a few years ago I ended up with a made in Mexico Ram 3500 with a German 6sp manual transmission. At the time we had a 2 horse tag along and a 5 ton equipment trailer. The Toyota would have needed a weight transfer hitch. I hate weight transfer hitches. Got the truck and the the wife then wanted a two horse gooseneck with a tack room. Truck earns its keep.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better?
You don’t say how far or what sort of terrain you’re driving but when I went through this a few years ago I ended up with a made in Mexico Ram 3500 with a German 6sp manual transmission. At the time we had a 2 horse tag along and a 5 ton equipment trailer. The Toyota would have needed a weight transfer hitch. I hate weight transfer hitches. Got the truck and the the wife then wanted a two horse gooseneck with a tack room. Truck earns its keep.
Sorry - Terrain for towing is almost 100% interstate from Washington, DC to Huntsville, AL then another 150 miles on divided 4 lane, and 20 miles on 2 lane country roads in northeast MS.. Nothing steep.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #16  
   / Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #17  
I would look at another 3/4 ton. If you were towing a trailer that weighed 8k I’d say a half ton would be fine. One reason I always harp on payload is because people get a truck that the ads say has 2200 payload for example. Of course this is a lightly optioned regular cab 2x4. They get a 4x4, King Ranch, Platinum crew cab with the optional BMW/Mercedes option package with the lead weighted automatic side steps and a kitchenette in the back seat and then find out the payload is 1200 pounds.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #18  
Towing anything over 10,000 lbs with ANY half-ton pickup is not going to be a good experience...unless it's just a short trip, a few miles. Especially an enclosed trailer with all the wind resistance that entails.

Been there, done that. I've had 12,000 lbs behind my F150 Ecoboost. Payload on the sticker on the door is 1937 lbs, and it wears 10 ply tires. Pulled it just fine but stability was not, what with strong cross winds and buffeting from passing 18 wheelers.

Why I own two trucks...the F150 for the light jobs. A Dodge/Cummins dually for the real work. The difference in stability, in feeling of being in control, with the dually is light years over the F150.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better?
Critical parameters to me (other than a good running truck) are a tighter turning diameter/radius (currently about 60') and tow capacity of 10.1K.
We are partial to Ford (only dealership that is "local") and our eldest recommended looking for a Tundra SR5.
So any recommendations?
I want a tow capacity of 10.1K to fully legally be able to tow my trailer with no major concern that the random Mississippi road stops will have a justification to say I was breaking the law.
I don't think I'll ever need to haul a full 10K. And I've a 12K rated Hudson trailer, with a 12.5K rated dually IF I need to go a little heavier.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #20  
My 2017 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4 has a towing capacity of 9900 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.