Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've a 10.1K enclosed trailer I plan on towing for years. My 2002 F350 CC dually is getting long, both physically (22.2') and "in the tooth" (seats are aging, needs paintwork, etc.) and SWMBO has signed off getting a new vehicle.
Critical parameters to me (other than a good running truck) are a tighter turning diameter/radius (currently about 60') and tow capacity of 10.1K.
We are partial to Ford (only dealership that is "local") and our eldest recommended looking for a Tundra SR5.
So any recommendations?

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #2  
If you want half ton pickup I would go Ford with 3.5 Ecoboost and max tow package. I can tow my 18’ with 6’6” sides enclosed trailer no problem. I get about 23MPG just the truck and about 10MPG with the trailer. I have had several with the Ecoboost and have been very pleased.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #3  
I've a 10.1K enclosed trailer I plan on towing for years. My 2002 F350 CC dually is getting long, both physically (22.2') and "in the tooth" (seats are aging, needs paintwork, etc.) and SWMBO has signed off getting a new vehicle.
Critical parameters to me (other than a good running truck) are a tighter turning diameter/radius (currently about 60') and tow capacity of 10.1K.
We are partial to Ford (only dealership that is "local") and our eldest recommended looking for a Tundra SR5.
So any recommendations?

I'd paint this and put new seats in it if the frame and body are good :)

1686507786213.png

I did go from a 7.3 SuperDuty to an early model 3.5 ecoboost and I am happy with it towing. I tow bumper pull and I've had zero stability issues and have more power with the ecoboost. Ride is way better, my body thanks me every time I drive.

Both are similar wheel base (157 versus 156) and the F150 turns way tighter and is actually driveable in a tight parking lot.

Current model 3.5 ecoboost max tows are around 13K towing.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #6  
We bought a 2023 RAM 1500 V6 for the wife. Nicest riding truck I ever drove.
Pulls pretty good and decent mileage.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #7  
Comments like this show why I don't take much of this seriously.
Lol, especially since a larger percentage of the Tundra and its parts are built in the USA than the big 3.
David from jax

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #8  
What ever you get make sure it has the payload you need. You might be looking at hitch weight of over 1000 pounds, maybe as much as 1500 pounds. Thats at the upper limits of a half ton I’m my opinion but it is possible.

/ Towing 10.1K with either Toyota Tundra SR5 OR F150 which is better? #10  
I use a 2014 F150 Ecoboost for loads under around 8,700 pounds. It does fine, just get hit with a MPG drop. Truck is rated for 10,500 hitch pull (with weight distributing hitch).

Can't say if it would do okay at higher trailer weight because I cheat and use my F250 of the heavier stuff.
What I will say is, I much prefer the 150 for maneuvering over the Beast (4 door long bed F250).

Status
Not open for further replies.