Tools & Supplies

/ Tools & Supplies #11  
Dear bmac,

I've been trying to follow along lately and I was wondering if you have decided on the right model for you. With your mention of a Lackender hoe, I'm assuming you decided to go with a 422/425? If you remember, I've got the 2425 (with about 26 hrs on it now) and really like the narrow width (45-46") and good visibility (from sitting on top if the motor instead of in front of it) but that combination can make a guy a little nervous without there being much of a slope. I've started noticing slope a whole lot more now than I used to. At least with the 425, you would have a much lower center of gravity than I do. Does anyone know if the 2425 is rated as safe on a certain type of slope and whether it's easy (and cheap) to get some type of slope indicator that could be mounted in front of the operator?

As for the comments on grease guns...they are right on. I only had a bigger gun (my little one kept leaking all over) and had to get a flex hose to get to at least 2 zerks. I, too, would really like to know what kind of spray grease to use on the ball joints, etc. ? Thanks for your help !

Del

/ Tools & Supplies #12  
BMAC:
For your toolset, be sure to get an 8 pound sledge, a 4 foot pry bar, a small hydraulic jack and a collection of wooden pads and blocks.
You'll never need them to switch from one Power Trac implement to another, but when your friends stop by, you can point to them and say:"If I had something with a 3-point hitch, I'd have to use those and a lot of profanity to change implements."

/ Tools & Supplies #13  
In now famous Bud vernacular, "True", Charlie! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Too funny!

/ Tools & Supplies
Charlie, I'm ashamed to admit it, but you had me there for a second or two. Good one.

/ Tools & Supplies
Del,
Yeah, all things considered, I think the 425 will be just right for my needs. The amount of excavation I need to do cannot justify getting anything larger. With the Lackender hoe I will be able to do any project that might come up at this place. Certainly not as easily as with a "real" backhoe, but I think it will be more than adequate.

It sure is tempting to go with the bigger models, but, for my needs, even the 425 is stretching the envelope a little.

OK, anyone want to comment of the spray lube?

/ Tools & Supplies #16  
AMEN, CHARLIE

/ Tools & Supplies #17  
Are you asking about spray lube again /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I was told by Power Trac to use a general purpose lithuim spray grease on all of the ball type joints and anything that moves in the lift assembly. I use white lithium spray grease so that I can see where I spray it on the black iron. You will need some paper towels to hold behind the object being sprayed to prevent overspray. Hope this helps /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tools & Supplies
MR,
Did you say white lithium spray grease? And paper towels? And a 7/16" ratcheting box-end wrench? And 2 grease guns?

I think I've got it now. Once I assemble the above, I think I'll open bmac's Power Trac Service Center.

/ Tools & Supplies #19  
bmac,

If you are willing to offer free pick up and delivery (I'll even let you use my trailer), I'll be your first customer. I need full weekly service please! ...lube, wash, bolt tightening and top off all the fluids if you will /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tools & Supplies #20  
my leaf season, unless we get early snow is over about first week of january 2003. depending what you pay per mile i will come down to perform these services and visit my relatives in sandbridge and williamsburgh, va.