Tools & Supplies

/ Tools & Supplies #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
Well,I'm beginning to prepare a list of tools and things that I will need to safely operate and maintain a Power Trac 425. Although its not 100%, I think the purchase is inevitable. And, being the impatient person that I am, I think I will buy without making the trip to Tazewell. It would probably be mid-November before I could schedule a trip and the projects I need to start really can't wait that long. Besides, each time the pups come in covered with our delightful red Georgia clay, my wife says that that this pool project needs to be completed ASAP. I knew I could win her over.

Anyway, I think I will order one of the ProEars ear protection devices as recommended by our old friend MChalkey. I respect everyones observation about the noise level and all reviews of the ProEars seems to be positive.

As far as tools go, I know I'll need 2 grease guns, one for the high temp grease and one for the regular. Question: Do I need a grease gun with a flexible hose to get to some of the more "secluded" zerks? I have one of those small guns that uses the 3 oz cartridges, but it seems like I'll need to get 2 of the big boys to keep up with the demands of a PT.

MossRoad stated in one thread that he uses ratcheting box-end wrenches for the tight quarters present on the PT. What sizes do I need and do I need more than one of any particular size? I would imagine I will need the flat wrenches rather than the off-set if space is as tight as y'all describe.

How about the filters (oil and hydraulic)? Do I need a filter wrench? Any particular style?

Paper Towels. Lots of Paper Towels.

Ratcheting tie-down strap to reinflate the front tires of the finish mower when it breaks the bead.

Someone to slap the smile off my face when I finally take delivery.

Anything else?

/ Tools & Supplies #2  
I use a small grease gun with a flexible hose, I have two large grease guns but I have fewer problems with the small (air gaps etc). I do not use high speed grease, after I am done mowing I hose off the underside and grease the spindles everytime I use it. I believe the bolt size is 7/16, but I am not home to double check. You did not mention spray grease, I use a lot of this. I keep it next to the tractor and constantly spray the fittings on the tractor. I don't use a oil filter wrench on my tractor or any other vehicles I have, I put a towel on it and back it off by hand. I don't know what brand my ear protection is but they work very well, I got them at Home Depot. I went by how they feel, if there uncomfortable you won't wear them as often as you should. My muffs were 3 years old before I bought my tractor. I don't use a tie down to reseat my tires any more, I wrap my arm around it, push it into my stomach and hit it with a lot of air from a compressor. Good luck!

/ Tools & Supplies #3  
I have two grease guns, like you said, one for the regular and one for the high temp. I use a flexible hose on the regular. I don't think you could get at some of those zerks without a flexible hose (at least with a big gun)....

The high temp gun with non flexible hose is perfect for the mower spindles. I find with the flexible hose that it keeps popping off the zerks. This is a real pain for the spindles because they take forever to fill. I gotta be pumping at least 20 times. Anyway with the non flexible I can keep pressure on the zerk.....

I haven't performed an oil change yet (coming soon) but the hydraulic filter comes off with your bare hands (no tools required). Remember those paper towels, that filter becomes slippery as soap /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I haven't regretted the fact that I bought the PT sight unseen. Based on what I read here and MR's videos that was enough for me to take the plunge.....

/ Tools & Supplies #4  
I think they have you covered /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I use a drawstring lawn and leaf size trash bag over the seat when washing the tractor.

Some simple green cleaner as recommeded by others seems to work great.

Check with Power-Trac about the mower, brush hog and snow plow tires(they all are the same tires) deflating so often. Tell them you read about it on TBN from multiple owners and ask them if they have a solution for it. I think they now offer filled or solid tires. Does anyone know this for sure??

The hearing protection is a must. The PT425 is loud. It gets even louder when you put a 60" mower on it. Tim Allen loud! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif So long as you know this in advance, you won't be surprised.

As for the smile... each time I hop on the PT425 and fire that bad boy up I get it back! My wife thinks I'm nuts.

It really is a very productive machine. Definately the most usefull and versatile piece of power equipment that I have ever operated. Good luck in your decision.

/ Tools & Supplies
PTRich, deadstick and MR,

Thanks for responding. What kind of spray lube do y'all recommend? Can anyone confirm the 7/16 size on the wrench?

I know its hard to describe loudness, although "Tim Allen loud" is pretty good. Would it be "neighbor-complaining loud"? When I mentioned ear protection to my wife, the first thing she asked was, "Will it disturb the neighbors?" My reply, "Not if they invest in some good hearing protection" didn't seem to go over too well with her.

Again, I thank you all.

/ Tools & Supplies #6  
I must be deaf already then /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif because I don't wear any protection. I would classify full throttle as being loud but not enough for me to wear protection. I think I have a different muffler design than MR though....

If I had to compare it, it is as loud as my Craftsman riding lawnmower...

/ Tools & Supplies
Huh? What did you say? I'm sorry, could you please speak up? Just kidding. I have a Sears garden tractor with a 22 hp Kohler V-Twin and I don't think it is very loud either. That's why I was asking. Seems like most find the loudness of the PT at least noticable, if not objectionable. I'm glad you are satisfied with yours.

/ Tools & Supplies #8  
bmac,

I can't speak for the decibel level of the PT, but I will tell you this. wearing hearing protection is a good idea with any outdoor power equipment even if it doesn't seem too loud. Not only does it protect your hearing (duh), I've found it greatly reduces fatigue.

One more bit of advice. BUY THE DARN PT NOW!!!! Coming from someone else who analyzed & agonized over the purchase of a compact tractor. You will be amazed with what it can do. Seat time on the tractor is much more fun than seat time in front of TBN./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I've found that the advice I've gotten here helped me make an informed decision & I don't have any buyers remorse.

Like everyone else, there are a few attachments I'd like to add to my aresenal, but that is more of a budget vs. necessity thing. $1,000 for a tiller to plant a dozen tomotoe plants, the math just doesn't compute...

/ Tools & Supplies #9  
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tools & Supplies
Hazmat,
Thanks for the reply and encouragement to get hearing protection. As far as your other comments (which I appreciate):

<font color=blue>One more bit of advice. BUY THE DARN PT NOW!!!! Coming from someone else who analyzed & agonized over the purchase of a compact tractor. You will be amazed with what it can do. Seat time on the tractor is much more fun than seat time in front of TBN.</font color=blue>

I hear hear ya, loud and clear. Fortunately, I think my analyzing and agonizing are over. As hard as I've tried to come up with reasons why I shouldn't get a Power trac, these guys have had answers to each of my concerns. So, with the decision making pretty much complete, its a matter of timing now. This purchase will need to come from the discretionary spending account (don't want to finance it) which was pretty much depleted with the pool installation. I don't think it will be too much longer. But, thanks for the prodding.

<font color=blue>Like everyone else, there are a few attachments I'd like to add to my aresenal, but that is more of a budget vs. necessity thing. $1,000 for a tiller to plant a dozen tomotoe plants, the math just doesn't compute... </font color=blue>

Yeah, originally, I had planned to get the planter head, a couple of big augers and the tree hugger attachment. Decided that the cost per tree would be pretty high unless I put a couple of hundred in. Instead, I will get a Lackender backhoe, a boom pole and a core aerator (in addition to forks, 2 buckets, rake and a finish mower). I think this combination will give me lot more versatility.