Tools & equipment that are fantastic.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #491  
Ryobi is cheap crap. But in almost all cases, it's better than all the other cheap crap brands. šŸ˜›

One tool I've killed more than all others combined is angle grinders. I used to buy the DeWalt brand, and I'd kill them in no time flat. So, I started buying cheaper and cheaper brands, until eventually landing on Ryobi. The head casting split on the first one, but it was still in warranty, so the store gave me a second. I think I've had that second one about 20 years now, which is probably longer than the total combined lifetime of the half-dozen'ish Dewalts I burned out in my early- to mid-20's

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #492  
I like Ryobi for the VAST variety of 18v tools they have. You name it they have it. No they are not the best, but for lots of purposes they are completely adequate. I also have RIGID 18v tools and I have a battery adapter that allows me to use my Rigid batteries on my Ryobi tools.

Thats just a ā€œdiscount lineā€. In other words, YOUR tools suckā€¦.šŸ˜
(sorry, just sarcasm. Your tools are perfectly fine) šŸ˜‚

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #493  
Some of my favorite tools are Rigid. They made one hell of a shop vac 20 years ago. Mine has been thru hell and back, and can still suck the grass off the lawn, not that I'm using it for that.

Same with their RO sander I bought ca.2001. I actually bought and brought home every RO Home Depot stocked, probably more than a half dozen of them, and dry-tested all of them before choosing the Rigid over some of the better brand names. That thing has some serious miles on it, I've been thru a few pads and it's had other minor repairs, but it's still going strong after 23 years. It has sanded miles upon miles of flooring and siding.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #494  
Some of my favorite tools are Rigid. They made one hell of a shop vac 20 years ago. Mine has been thru hell and back, and can still suck the grass off the lawn, not that I'm using it for that.

Same with their RO sander I bought ca.2001. I actually bought and brought home every RO Home Depot stocked, probably more than a half dozen of them, and dry-tested all of them before choosing the Rigid over some of the better brand names. That thing has some serious miles on it, I've been thru a few pads and it's had other minor repairs, but it's still going strong after 23 years. It has sanded miles upon miles of flooring and siding.
Isnā€™t Rigid same as Hitachi? Or made by same company? I have a Rigid hammer drill that looks just like Hitachi and it a real powerful brute.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #495  
Isnā€™t Rigid same as Hitachi? Or made by same company? I have a Rigid hammer drill that looks just like Hitachi and it a real powerful brute.
No idea. Maybe?

My grandfather owned a plumbing business when I was a kid, he had started it back in the 1930's with his father. From that, I inherited truck loads (not exaggerating) of Ridgid tools. Pipe threaders, pipe cutters, benders, etc. If you needed to borrow a 4" NPT threading die that weighed as much as a motorcycle, I was your best friend.

So, when the Ridgid name re-appeared at Home Depot, of course I was interested in checking it out. But I was told it had nothing to do with the original (independent?) Ridgid brand. Now I see Home Depot also carries Ridgid plumbing tools, so I'm not sure the two aren't merged at some level, even if only in branding.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #496  
Rigid, Ryobi, Milwaukee, the Craftsman Portable Tools and even Walmart's Hart are all made by TTI.

Hitachi is now Metabo and made in both Germany and China.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #497  
Rigid, Ryobi, Milwaukee, the Craftsman Portable Tools and even Walmart's Hart are all made by TTI.

Hitachi is now Metabo and made in both Germany and China.
Manufacturers build varuis tools to different specs and qualities. This is not a new thing.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #498  
No idea. Maybe?

My grandfather owned a plumbing business when I was a kid, he had started it back in the 1930's with his father. From that, I inherited truck loads (not exaggerating) of Ridgid tools. Pipe threaders, pipe cutters, benders, etc. If you needed to borrow a 4" NPT threading die that weighed as much as a motorcycle, I was your best friend.

So, when the Ridgid name re-appeared at Home Depot, of course I was interested in checking it out. But I was told it had nothing to do with the original (independent?) Ridgid brand. Now I see Home Depot also carries Ridgid plumbing tools, so I'm not sure the two aren't merged at some level, even if only in branding.
Emerson owns Ridgid and licenses the name to TTI for the power tools. As a general rule, the Red Ridgid plumbing type tools are made by Emerson, and the Orange power tools are made by TTI.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #499  
Manufacturers build varuis tools to different specs and qualities. This is not a new thing.
Yes..? Didnt say they were the same tool..

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #500  
Not sure what you mean by "discount line". Not pro grade to be sure, but I'd put them in the "premium homeowner" category, certainly better than dept store or HF brands. The ones I've got have stood up well.
Most of my tools are DeWalt, but Iā€™ve had good service from both Ryobi and the newer and better line of HF tools.