Tools & equipment that are fantastic.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #471  
Roof shingle life is very dependent on (1) local climate and (2) proper installation.
I put "20 year" shingles on my first house when I bought it in 1977. Last time I drove by there (a couple years ago) the house had the same roof. But this was in New England, I'm sure in the south where heat and solar intensity were much greater it would have been a different story.
40 year shinlges sure don't last 40 here! Even steel roofs take a beating.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #472  
For ArlyA

View attachment 804344
Klein markets 11 in 1, Milwaukee markets 13 in 1, the extra 2 being the 3/8" and 5/16" internal hex (Allen) sleeves that hold the 1/4" hex bits.View attachment 804345
View attachment 804344
View attachment 804345
I don't like these "do all" tools with little bits. I drop them and you can't locate them. I do keep these screwdrivers with different ends in machines for emergency's.
61988_W3.jpg

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #473  
HF used to give those away I was pretty surprised the bits were decent and capable of taking screws out without stripping the heads off.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #474  
40 year shinlges sure don't last 40 here! Even steel roofs take a beating.
Old house nut, here. Slate roofs are similar, in that good slate can last > 150 years, but the nails tend to rust out around 75 years. Always sad to watch good slate slide down the roof and smash on the ground, when the nails let go.

My raised seam steel roof is just starting to rust from the chimney flashing. It's 32 years old. Debating on whether it's worth scrubbing and painting it, or just wait it out for replacement. It is a very steep and very high (4 stories @ 12:12 pitch) roof of 14 squares, so not a small job.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #475  
I had the original roof shingles from 1953 replaced on my parents home in 2016 for my mom. 63 years! Oh, but they were asbestos. 😳🤣 If you’ve never seen any they look and feel like Hardie board siding.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #476  
HF used to give those away I was pretty surprised the bits were decent and capable of taking screws out without stripping the heads off.
The bits may be decent, but the handle doesn't grip the shaft very well, at least on the couple I have. Keeps falling out. Good enough for an emergency fix, but I'll gladly pay the extra for a Klein.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #477  
Old house nut, here. Slate roofs are similar, in that good slate can last > 150 years, but the nails tend to rust out around 75 years. Always sad to watch good slate slide down the roof and smash on the ground, when the nails let go.
Worked as a roofer's helper one summer when I was a teenager. We had to repair a few slate roofs. Always kinda scary since those roofs were steep. Didn't have the modern safety gear back then they do today...the guy I worked with's "safety harness" was a rope knotted under his armpits with me on the other side of the peak holding it. :eek:

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #479  
DeWalt clones, recently acquired a work light, and a cordless heat gun clone couldn't justify getting the actual DeWalt brand cuz of my current non commercial usage. Both were very inexpensive, work good all things considered and use quality 20 volt DeWalt batteries. Came to find out there's a lot of different cordless tools made by various foreign companies for DeWalt 20 volt batteries perfect for a self proclaimed semi serious tinkering cobbler like myself who likes or occasionally needs the convenience of cordless tools but can't stand buying a cheap cordless tool only to have the specific non interchangeable battery fail long before the cheap tool does.

Attachments

• KIMG2262.JPG
    KIMG2262.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #480  
DeWalt clones, recently acquired a work light, and a cordless heat gun clone couldn't justify getting the actual DeWalt brand cuz of my current non commercial usage. Both were very inexpensive, work good all things considered and use quality 20 volt DeWalt batteries. Came to find out there's a lot of different cordless tools made by various foreign companies for DeWalt 20 volt batteries perfect for a self proclaimed semi serious tinkering cobbler like myself who likes or occasionally needs the convenience of cordless tools but can't stand buying a cheap cordless tool only to have the specific non interchangeable battery fail long before the cheap tool does.
Nice....

That is the one thing that has always drove me nuts....is why we cannot standardize batteries and voltages.

We have with alot of batteries. AA, AAA, C, D-cell, 9-volt.

Buy a maglight, or streamlight, or whatever brand it dont matter. You can run energizer, duracell, or dollar store house brand batteries. Dont matter.

Blows my mind why we have to have proprietary batteries and chargers for cordless tools 3-decades after they really started becoming popular.