Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #31  
I have not had any problems with rubbing and my machine pretty much lives in All Wheel Steering all the time. But I do not have chains on these tires and I haven't had my Toolcat in every twist possible...so no guarantees. As per my much earlier posts in this thread (pg1/2), I have always used 15" LT tires with chains in the winter. Those have worked very well and height-wise are closer to the stock R-4's (?). Since those old posts of mine, I have retired and I pretty much just do snow removal for myself and some of my neighbors...and I thought I'd leave the small tires/chains off just for experimental purposes. You folks, like us, are due for some good snows this week so by the end of the week I may have the chains back on. (I'm probably about 50 miles S of you.) If you think it'd help, I'd be willing to take some pics tomorrow of the tires at full lock to give you an idea of the clearance. Also, machine is a 2007 "D" 5600. Don't know if that'd make a difference or not. In terms of 225's or 245's...I like the idea of a less-tall tire and would look to see what is most common/cheap. I just had these old Tundra tires laying around...so I figured I'd just try 'em.

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #32  
Pics would be awesome if its not to much trouble. I have 75 residential accounts and an apartment complex and some sidewalks. Have had good traction with chains on rear and grip studs in front on stock 27's. Top speed for 5610 is at 16.9 starts dumping hydro at 16.9 my 5600 would do right at the 18 mph. was wanting the taller tire to give me just a little more top end. Bobcat in the valley said they couldn't do a new wheel speed flash/program for me. The guys in Wisconsin and Minnesota have got it figured out. I wish I could fly them in for mine would love 25 mph then I could outrun the big boys in the loaders when they swoop in behind me. lol....storms are a coming...…. last weekend they called for 1-3" we got 9"....sweet..... gotta love it....let it snow....one thing to mention for anyone with 5610 the wipers can get overloaded and blow a fuse just so happens aux hydros are on same circuit....carry extras with me always. Thanks for your time and expierence its much appreciated....Thanks again

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #33  
Sorry about the orientation of these pics. They looked fine on my PC but after uploading I noticed that they all need to be rotated CW by 90.

Pic 1 is the machine as-photographed. The blower (SB200-72) is lifted off the ground so as to compress the springs. The second pic is of the sidewall of tires showing 265/75-16. The rest of pics show clearances. The clearances are better than they may look. I did include a chunk of a 4x4 post in some of the pics to give some perspective. Clearance was typically 4.5" or greater. In any event, as she sits, there is good tire clearance. With one or more of the tires dropped into a hole (stuck!) that clearance may go away. Having said that, I've been stuck more than a few times and clearance hasn't been an issue. Pics 3-6 are up front while the rest are the rear. I don't recall how tall these tires are; however, Tire Rack has an nice online chart of tire sizes/heights.

Attachments

• 20181209_1.jpg
    20181209_1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 315
  • 20181209_2.jpg
    20181209_2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 248
  • 20181209_3.jpg
    20181209_3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 224
  • 20181209_4.jpg
    20181209_4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 200
  • 20181209_5.jpg
    20181209_5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 209
  • 20181209_6.jpg
    20181209_6.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 186
  • 20181209_7.jpg
    20181209_7.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 234
  • 20181209_8.jpg
    20181209_8.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 204
  • 20181209_9.jpg
    20181209_9.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 301
   / Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #34  
Good pics Spud...thanks for taking the time.

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #35  
Good pics Spud...thanks for taking the time.

Awesome thxs Spud just ordered the 265's got some blizzacks I will post up when I get them on.
thanks again...let it snow

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #37  
I don't know what the max speed is as the indicated speed is gonna be off due to the tire height and the "governor" tends to try to throw me through the front windshield. I suppose I should use the GPS on my phone to find out how fast I'm really going before the speed nanny kicks-in.

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #38  
Saw a Toolcat yesterday with 31x10.5x15LT B.F. Goodrich All-Terrain tires on stock rims in Rochester, MN.

DEWFPO

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #39  
I know this is a very old thread but I'm wondering if anyone has any updates or new experiences with Toolcat snow tires?

IdahoToolCat if you're still around wondering how the 265 blizzacks worked out for you?

Purchased an F series Toolcat that I'll be using with a blower on my rural property, the Toolcat has 29" R-4's on it (no chains currently). Wondering if I should do something before this winter or use it for at least part of a season so I have a better idea of what might work best.

I've read all of this thread and a few others that deal with tires. Seems 6 bolt rims that would likely fit the Toolcat (pending offset & hub hole measurments) are plentiful on Facebook, so buying a set of rims and a set of tires that are good for snow and would be easier on the lawn in summer is where I'm leaning at this point. Not looking to swap tires back and forth if I can avoid it.

Wondering if I should have a set of chains too, though I think I would like to wait on those to judge the need (you know, stuck to the bejesus before getting what you needed in the first place!) FWIW, I've always had tractors with blowers, and on a 2 wheel drive tractor always put chains on before the snow flew, the last 10 years I had a larger 4x4 tractor and never put the chains on that I had for it. How many of you run chains on your Toolcat and how many of you don't ever use them?

Last edited:
   / Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #40  
It really depends on what your conditions are terrain, slopes, type of snow. Blizzarks are great on glare ice/packed snow, not as good in deep snow or on inclines. Chains work very well on slopes, ice, deep snow but if you have to drive on pavement anywhere with the chains on, it a lumpy ride and slow going.

All things being equal I would recommend chains. You don't need spare rims or tires. You can put them on or off whenever you want and don't need to jack the equipment up.