To upgrade or not

/ To upgrade or not #61  
I agree with many of the opinions offered. A little over 20 years ago I wanted a tractor for my new property and house project. Growing up using 50s and 60s ford that's what I wanted. Fortunately, others convinced me to get a newer 4 wheel drive with FEL. The guy dropping of my tractor used to own a ford dealer and collected old fords, he said this tractor will be much more useful. It was a NH TC series, I had it for over 20 years and never back to dealer. My son and daughter could drive it before they were teenagers. The only downside of that tractor was no SSQA. 4 whl drive and a fel with hooks and pallet forks made a world of difference for me.

/ To upgrade or not #62  
I only read the original post, and the next handful, but, Ive been having same thoughts for about 4 years. I have a 1976 Kubota L285, which seems to always have something wrong with it. Hydraulics need bleed again, steering gears needed replaced, electric wiring all needs replaced, hood pivot points rushed away, battery box rushed away, water pump, ect. I really would like to get an RK25, with loader, power steering, actually just starts up with out needing to fix something first, and let's face it, a strong arm steer, gear tractor, isn't a great mowing, or box blading tractor.

My main hold up, besides money and wife, is the big question: Do I want a new tractor; yes; do I Need it; not really, and $18k is an expensive toy. I have a 15 year old JD riding mower that I got for free, so I mow with that. Only got 2 acres, but my mom lives about 5 miles away, and has around 35 acres, and a 1000 ft drive through the woods. Now, I've told my wife (don't know if she understood that I was serious), that when the JD mower truly dies, I will Not be spending $2k to replace it with a mower, I plan to use that as a down payment, and sell the Kubota, and use whatever I can get out of it, and get something in a CUT around 25hp, with modern features, to replace them both.

/ To upgrade or not #63  
If you can afford it without it being a hardship, then I would upgrade. It will open ip a whole new word of capabilities for you.

/ To upgrade or not #65  
I only read the original post, and the next handful, but, Ive been having same thoughts for about 4 years. I have a 1976 Kubota L285, which seems to always have something wrong with it. Hydraulics need bleed again, steering gears needed replaced, electric wiring all needs replaced, hood pivot points rushed away, battery box rushed away, water pump, ect. I really would like to get an RK25, with loader, power steering, actually just starts up with out needing to fix something first, and let's face it, a strong arm steer, gear tractor, isn't a great mowing, or box blading tractor.

My main hold up, besides money and wife, is the big question: Do I want a new tractor; yes; do I Need it; not really, and $18k is an expensive toy. I have a 15 year old JD riding mower that I got for free, so I mow with that. Only got 2 acres, but my mom lives about 5 miles away, and has around 35 acres, and a 1000 ft drive through the woods. Now, I've told my wife (don't know if she understood that I was serious), that when the JD mower truly dies, I will Not be spending $2k to replace it with a mower, I plan to use that as a down payment, and sell the Kubota, and use whatever I can get out of it, and get something in a CUT around 25hp, with modern features, to replace them both.
You should seriously consider the Mahindra 1626 over the RK 25. Especially if you're going hydrostatic.

/ To upgrade or not #68  
agree, feel MX series is a good compromise compact utility tractor more capable overall than B, L, & smaller series.
the Grand L is for a pocketbook other than mine for what you get
M series in a league by itself...
The only problem with the MX5400 for me is fitting it in my garage. I don't want a cab (which would fit), but the foldable ROPS is too tall when it's up. Once I add the limb risers and falling object protection, the foldable ROPS is no longer foldable. I looked at the L3901/L3902. Nice size for me, but the hydraulics are way too exposed for my work in the woods. I'd be adding a belly pan, but even then, I did not like how exposed things would be. The MX5400 is significantly better protected in that regard. The L4701 looked good for protection of the hydraulics and would fit in my garage, but no one in my area had any in stock. I might check out the L4802 when it shows up in the area.

/ To upgrade or not #69  
I have a 1952 8n I bought from a 95 year old man about 15 years ago. The man told me when I got it he had gotten tired of "little things" breaking so he recently took it to a tractor shop and had it completly "gone through" he told me the reason he was selling was "son I just cant get on and off of it anymore". I have about 4 acres of land that I currently bush hog. I was using my Pepa's old 5ft bush hog it broke, and I went off and bought a 6 foot hog, I just figured bigger was better. I also maintain the driveway with it using a 5 foot heavy duty box blade with rippers. Tractor is the orginal 6 volt system that can be kinda irritating at times, but my Pepa had a 528n and I wanted one. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what I should do. Should I try to upgrade to a newer stronger tractor or run the old 8n with the 6 volt system. I would really appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance.
It sounds as if this tractor fulfils your needs and will probably continue for at least another seventy years doing the same thing without the needs for electronic add on's. If this is your leisure time and you enjoy the company of the old girl I would think you won't find a better companion/work mate but if you are hankering after the lesser made newer models it is time for her to go.