To upgrade or not

/ To upgrade or not #51  
I have a 1952 8n I bought from a 95 year old man about 15 years ago. The man told me when I got it he had gotten tired of "little things" breaking so he recently took it to a tractor shop and had it completly "gone through" he told me the reason he was selling was "son I just cant get on and off of it anymore". I have about 4 acres of land that I currently bush hog. I was using my Pepa's old 5ft bush hog it broke, and I went off and bought a 6 foot hog, I just figured bigger was better. I also maintain the driveway with it using a 5 foot heavy duty box blade with rippers. Tractor is the orginal 6 volt system that can be kinda irritating at times, but my Pepa had a 528n and I wanted one. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what I should do. Should I try to upgrade to a newer stronger tractor or run the old 8n with the 6 volt system. I would really appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance.
If you have the room I would keep the old tractor and buy a newer or new 4x4 loader tractor. You’ve had the 8n for 15 years and know the tractor pretty well and know how to maintain it so why stress about selling it, just keep it if you can afford to.
I have 3 old MF tractors and am debating the exact same thing. I really like the old tractors and their history but would also like to have a new or newer 4x4 tractor. The old tractors are great but I sometimes think it would be nice to not have to wonder if the old tractor will start when you really need it. There does always seem to be something needs fixed or attended to on an old tractor so yes, get a newer 4x4. But keep the old girl and use her once in a while. I plan on keeping 1 and also getting a 4x4 with loader.
I think in my case though, I won’t be able to part with the old tractors😢 they’ve become family. I talk tough but when it comes time to part with them I’ll probably end up keeping 2 of the old tractors and just dedicate each to a specific job to keep them exercised and me happy. Lol. All the best with your dilemma.

/ To upgrade or not #52  
I have a 1952 8n I bought from a 95 year old man about 15 years ago. The man told me when I got it he had gotten tired of "little things" breaking so he recently took it to a tractor shop and had it completly "gone through" he told me the reason he was selling was "son I just cant get on and off of it anymore". I have about 4 acres of land that I currently bush hog. I was using my Pepa's old 5ft bush hog it broke, and I went off and bought a 6 foot hog, I just figured bigger was better. I also maintain the driveway with it using a 5 foot heavy duty box blade with rippers. Tractor is the orginal 6 volt system that can be kinda irritating at times, but my Pepa had a 528n and I wanted one. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what I should do. Should I try to upgrade to a newer stronger tractor or run the old 8n with the 6 volt system. I would really appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance.
I have a 48 8n 6 volt as a toy, tried to plow with it this winter didn't work that well at night. Did a 12volt conversion lights flashers and a work light works good now.

/ To upgrade or not #53  
I bought a Ferguson TO-20 (similar to an 8n) for $1500 in 1996 I paid too much for it then. I converted it to 12v, rebuilt the steering box and spindles. replaced the oil pump and distributor, replaced the gauges. I borrowed a 6ft bushhog from the neighbor when I needed to mow, I kept the mower in good shape so the neighbor didnt mind that I used it a few times a year. the 6ft mower was a bit much for the To-20 but I got by. In 2004 I bought a Kubota b7800 with a loader and sold the T0-20 for $2500 . The Kubota dealer only offered me $1000 for it as a trade in. I really didnt need to sell the T0-20 and looking back I wish I had kept it. The T0-20 was much heavier than my B7800 and was handy for pulling out stuck vehicles. My suggestion is upgrade if you can afford it and keep the 8n .

Last edited:
   / To upgrade or not #54  
As others have already mentioned, and I agree with 'em. I'd keep the old iron, for the smaller fun type work, and purchase another that is a 4x4 with an FEL, rear power beyond, maybe with tilt and top hydraulics [which really is worth it!] for more a reliable and capable work/production!!

/ To upgrade or not #55  
Get an upgrade but keep the 8n. They aren't worth much but can and do work. You could always use it to pull a wagon or something. No matter how good they may look and run, top book is about $2k. It's more of a hassle to sell and you'll be constantly "low-balled". I've seen complete tractors go for $500 in running condition. Get a new/better tractor and just run the wheels off the 8n. It's always nice to have a backup when one or the other breaks.
Your smart on keeping the 8n. Me too. Does not quit.

/ To upgrade or not #56  
Something about those old tractors you'll never get with an orange or green machine. That said, the dependability of the new ones goes a long way to happiness.
If you can afford to keep it and buy a newer machine, that's the way to go, as long as you can care for two machines. A cheaper fix to the voltage problem is an 8 volt battery. The generator should charge it OK, at it goes a long way to an easier start. It never caused a bulb problem with my Cub, either.

/ To upgrade or not #57  
If you don't want to spend a lot of money Deka makes or they used to make what is called an automatic battery. It has a solenoid built into the top. It cranks on 12 volt and converts back to 6 volt for your lights and stuff. I worked at a dairy and they had a lot of old trucks that were 6 volt. We installed these all the time.

/ To upgrade or not #58  
Do both, keep the 8N for fun, paint & polish then run in local parades and odd jobs around your place. First time in my life, I bought shiny new Kubota B2601. Did not really need to but my reason little different then others. My regular tractor was a 24hp diesel Wheel Ox (a very obscure chinese tractor). It ran fine, had all the bells & whistles of modern sub compact tractors, Loader, 4x4, ect. Biggest reason was my safety, Wheel Ox not very ergonomic. Was difficult for me to climb on safely due to my size 17 boots. Had to do a weird and dangerous foot twist and tall transmission to throw leg over to safely get into seat. Having already had ACL knee surgery years ago, I probably over think how I step, climb, mount equipment. Price for new Kubota probably not much more then what I'd have to pay for my next knee, hip, shoulder ect.
Nice shot on lawn Kubota B2601.jpg59339630_2847783741915254_3690345671497351168_n.jpg

/ To upgrade or not #59  
Something about those old tractors you'll never get with an orange or green machine.
Hey, my 70-year-old Case SC, the one that belonged to my grandfather, the one I learned on, is orange. Well, the parts that still have some original paint are orange, anyway...

/ To upgrade or not #60  
The big weaknesses of the 8N are no live hydraulics or live/independent PTO.
Yes, an over running clutch is not a big help either. I brain farted one day (downslope) and pushed in the clutch to switch gears and the momentum from the mower took me on a wild ride. Last time I put any pto stuff on that tractor.