To upgrade or not

/ To upgrade or not #91  
Check out the Deutz tractor

FARMotion 2.9 liter, 3-cylinder diesel engine from Deutz-Fahr – 80 gross horsepower

Tier 4 emissions compliant engine with “No Maintenance” emissions system: No SCR, No DPF

diesel here is $3.54 to $3.89

willy

/ To upgrade or not #92  
DEF is used on >75 HP units as the regulations for emissions tightens at >75 HP, and as far as I can tell, nobody has found out how to meet the regulations at >75 HP without the catalytic reduction (SCR) that DEF is used to accomplish. I am not aware of any unit 75 HP and less using DEF as it is not needed to meet the 75 HP and below regs.

The 26-75 HP units all have an oxidation catalyst (DOC) to meet the various non-particulate emissions regs (hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, etc.). Some use EGR and high EGTs to keep the catalyst face hot enough to burn off soot so they don't need a particulate filter (DPF) to meet particulate emissions regulations. This works unless the engine isn't run long enough or hard enough to get EGTs high enough to burn off the soot, in which case you get catalyst face plugging and the DOC has to be removed and cleaned, or replaced if it can't be cleaned. EGR has its own issues too, it cruds up the intake, reduces the amount of oxygen in the charge air (which decreases power), and either increases the temperature of the charge air (which decreases power) or requires an EGR cooler to cool the recirculated exhaust. EGR coolers can plug up or fail and cause head gasket failures, just ask anybody who owned a truck with the Navistar VT365 engine, aka the "6.oh-no," about that one.

If they do not want to use EGR or use EGR but do not want to keep EGTs persistently high, they use a DPF in front of the catalyst to trap the soot and then use a temporary increase in EGTs is used to burn off the trapped soot (regeneration.) The no EGR setup gets rid of the issues with EGR and EGR coolers, and having an engine setting that can clean out the DPF eliminates the face plugging issue, but requires some user intervention in relation to the DPF regeneration. Otherwise, the DPF will get plugged up enough that the regeneration cycle won't burn off the soot and it will require removal and cleaning, or replacement if it can't be cleaned.

There is no free lunch when dealing with the feds, unfortunately, only different kinds of bad.

Thanks for that explanation @mo1 . I should have said DEF/DPF, but I guess even that would not have covered all of the options. I guess that your final phrase sums up the real answer to my question: there are "only different kinds of bad".

I have an almost 22 year old New Holland TC33D that I am really pushing beyond what it is designed for (as evidenced by the cracked clutch housing mentioned in another thread - a known issue with a number of NH compact tractors of this era). It's hard to give up on it and upgrade when it runs so well and reliably. I repaired it, but am still "sort of" shopping for an upgrade.

/ To upgrade or not
P.S. wished I had kept the old 8N just to drive it around if nothing else, but the better half said "Why do you need 2 tractors!" Did work good for grading. If you look close at my avatar you can just see the old 8N next to teh NH.
thanks for your response

/ To upgrade or not
If you have the room I would keep the old tractor and buy a newer or new 4x4 loader tractor. You’ve had the 8n for 15 years and know the tractor pretty well and know how to maintain it so why stress about selling it, just keep it if you can afford to.
I have 3 old MF tractors and am debating the exact same thing. I really like the old tractors and their history but would also like to have a new or newer 4x4 tractor. The old tractors are great but I sometimes think it would be nice to not have to wonder if the old tractor will start when you really need it. There does always seem to be something needs fixed or attended to on an old tractor so yes, get a newer 4x4. But keep the old girl and use her once in a while. I plan on keeping 1 and also getting a 4x4 with loader.
I think in my case though, I won’t be able to part with the old tractors😢 they’ve become family. I talk tough but when it comes time to part with them I’ll probably end up keeping 2 of the old tractors and just dedicate each to a specific job to keep them exercised and me happy. Lol. All the best with your dilemma.
sounds like we have alot in common my Pepa had a 52 8n, the one I have is not his (his was given away) but an 8n did the job for him. I think I might try to buy a 5 foot bush hog I have a 6 footer I run now,convert to 12 volt and stop worrying about it.

/ To upgrade or not #95  
So, I'll give an example of a compromise. Today, I saw a gas Massey Ferguson 135, in good condition, for $2500 with a 6ft bush hog included. Something like that moves you forward 30 years in technology, is dirt cheap, has every part you can imagine, readily available, and a Ton of info available.

/ To upgrade or not #96  
mo1 do you add blueberries & walnuts to your
oatmeal?? Really good

willy

/ To upgrade or not #97  
mo1 do you add blueberries & walnuts to your
oatmeal?? Really good

willy

Generally just a little bit of sugar, occasionally some apples or raisins.