To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID"

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #21  
Clear as mud!

Personally, I have a passport and will keep it renewed. As long as I have that with me I shouldn't have to worry about ID for airports and such.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #22  
Brother - you are so right, ruffdog. Just look at the confusion here with this small sampling.

As I read it - after October, 2020. The document that will allow you to fly internationally WILL NOT allow you fly from New York to LA.

Your PP is but one of four documents required to obtain a "Real ID". Your "Real ID" will be required, not you PP, to fly from New York to LA.

There is SURELY going to be some MAD folks at the airports.

I think you are mistaken.

How a Passport Can Help you Fly Domestically

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #24  
I'll stick with the train and my 'enhanced' license. It will get me in and out of Mexico and Canada. In theory it will get you on to an airplane as well.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #25  
Clear as mud!

Personally, I have a passport and will keep it renewed. As long as I have that with me I shouldn't have to worry about ID for airports and such.

Same here. I always have my passport with me if I go out of state, flying or otherwise.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #26  
Government intrusion. State's Rights. You know, all that 'big Government' people are against.

I don't really care about any of that either way, but I do care about the fee going from $10 for four years to something like $40 or $50. Uncle Sam arm twists States over something, Uncle Sam should dig out his wallet and pony up the associated costs so us wee-uns don't get zinged.
You do realize who's pockets Uncle Sam takes his money from, don't you?

That's OK. I keep checking my license to see if I got the star or not. I did, a year and a half ago, yet still keep checking! :laughing:
Here a star on your license means something else; that you have gotten an OUI (DWI) in the last ten years. Among other things that would prevent you from getting into Canada. Rather ironic, given the ongoing discussion.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #27  
Well - ruffdog - I would say quite a bit of chaos. I've know about enhanced/real ID for quite some time. Needed to get in/out of Canada. Your original post - first I've heard that it will be necessary to fly.

Folks will find that just a passport isn't going to cut it. Strange, very strange. You would think that the Airlines Assoc would be clogging the airwaves with this news.

So how is that supposed to work?
Your US passport will NOT comply with the I.D. requirement, but a traveler with a passport from Zimbabwe will?
I think you will find that a current US passport will work just fine......indefinitely.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #28  
I got my Real ID a few years back when my DL came up for renewal. I brought my birth cert or passport to the local WI DMV to do it. It was fairly new at the time. When I mentioned/requested it to the clerk she looked at me and said "you really want the government knowing all that info about you" and started down some conspiracy path. I asked her what part of my government issued birth cert, government issued passport and government issued current DL do you think they don't already know? Really weird to get attitude from the DMV clerk on that... But she didn't give any more hassles at least.

I still use my passport when flying as getting my DL out of my wallet pocket is a PITA. And YES, the passport is still very valid for all flying domestically.

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #29  
So all this time my govt issued driver's license has been fake ? Can I get a refund for fees paid over the years ?

When I got my license many many years ago, I had to show a birth certificate to prove age.....did they stop doing that at some point and simply take a kid's word for it ? Have States simply issued so much crappy ID that the feds had to come up with this scheme to overhaul the mess ?

My God.....My wallet already containst a Tn driver's license, a TN gun carry permit (which requires background check & fingerprints), a VA ID card....if the dadgum govt doesn't already know every single thing about my life, WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT ? DNA ? Stem cells ? Family tree for 200 years ?

/ To fly Oct 1st you need "Real ID" #30  
I asked her what part of my government issued birth cert, government issued passport and government issued current DL do you think they don't already know?

None of that is/was all in one place and scanned into a master system every time you travel for the purpose of tracking your movements. It was all in separate places and used for different purposes. Lots of people don't even have their BC any more or never did so it would cost them more money to try and get one.