To CAB or NOT

/ To CAB or NOT #121  
Around here, when it's middle of winter, -40 F(C) outside, and a 40 mph wind, and the road must be opened, we just call that "Tuesday".

/ To CAB or NOT #122  
Really dependent on your location and what you are going to do with your tractor.
I would love to have a cab but with 38 acres of trees and constantly getting off and on while doing work there was no way I could justify it.
Now if I hit a nest of ground hornets that might change quickly. :D
Also I don't put that many hours a year on a tractor. If I was in an environment where the weather was cold half the year with lots of snow to clear I might have a cab.
With 8 acres open and 8 acres wooded, if you can clear paths of branches through your woods for your tractor then I say go cab.

/ To CAB or NOT #123  
I had two teeth go through my upper lip from a tree limb.
Hurt like crazy and bled a lot.
That would not have happened with a cab.

Now I have home made limb guards to prevent that in the future.
I generally wear a forestry helmet while in the woods just in case of falling branches or branches hitting me in the face.

/ To CAB or NOT #124  
I generally wear a forestry helmet while in the woods just in case of falling branches or branches hitting me in the face.
Be careful, that hat won’t keep you neck from breaking! I love having ROPS and FOPS when in the woods.

To the need to get on an off guys.

Do the doors on your machines not lock back? Getting in a cab vs open isn’t much different if you can fold the door back flat and leave it open.

/ To CAB or NOT #125  
And an advantage of the cab is security, ijf you don’t have a roll bar on an open one.

The manufacturers’ Farm and Industrial Equipment Institute (FIEI), which wrote the first ASAE standards dealing with rollover protection (Standard R-305.1 and R-306), in 1967 required that roll bars be a standard item on new tractors. Standard R-305.1 dated 1967 states that tractors “shall” be equipped with a protective frame meeting the rollover protective frame requirements of ASAE Standard R-306. Standard R-305.1 was a recommended standard of the ASAE. It subsequently was adopted as an official standard in February of 1970. It wasn’t until 1972 that the ASAE, realizing what they had done, changed their standard to make roll bar installation on tractors optional--at least as to those manufacturers who chose to follow the voluntary ASAE standard. In 1985, they finally changed the standard to require roll bars on all new tractors as it had been from 1967 to 1972.

/ To CAB or NOT #126  
Be careful, that hat won’t keep you neck from breaking! I love having ROPS and FOPS when in the woods.

Do the doors on your machines not lock back? Getting in a cab vs open isn’t much different if you can fold the door back flat and leave it open.

Neither will not having a hat keep your neck from breaking. I've hit branches or had branches land on my head that would seriously given me a concussion. Large branches falling from 80 ft would probably kill me regardless.

/ To CAB or NOT #127  
Neither will not having a hat keep your neck from breaking. I've hit branches or had branches land on my head that would seriously given me a concussion. Large branches falling from 80 ft would probably kill me regardless.
I wasn’t suggesting not wearing a hat, Im saying you need fops. If being hit on the hard hat by multiple branch or limbs doesn’t make that clear I’m not sure why I thought telling you would. lol.

/ To CAB or NOT #128  
The cab guys will just NEVER understand that there are a LOT of guys who do NOT like cab tractors. I couldn't in any way ever own a cab tractor the way I use my tractor. It would be a total PITA to have a cabbed tractor for me. I have operated many cab tractors over the year and don't like them. I could have purchased one and chose not to, with ZERO regrets...

/ To CAB or NOT #129  

Or buy an old enough cabbed tractor driving it til the door fell off literally lol. No ambition or reason to fix it either.

/ To CAB or NOT #130  
I wasn’t suggesting not wearing a hat, Im saying you need fops. If being hit on the hard hat by multiple branch or limbs doesn’t make that clear I’m not sure why I thought telling you would. lol.

I had to look up the acronym, FOPS - Falling Objects Protection System, which is why your sentence didn't make sense to me at the time.

I really like this System and wonder why tractor mfgs don't offer some sort of timber protection add on.