Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam?

/ Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam? #1  

Rapp@BlueRidge

Tractor
2016 Kubota M5140 Cab
I love my cab - mostly when it is hot/cold/dusty/raining or snowing - but I am getting tired of having to frequently stop, open the door, lean out to realign my side mirrors, which are constantly knocked out of skew by limbs and brush. Has anyone here had success in mounting a rear view video camera, like are now common on pickups? I'm thinking of adding a small camera up high and inside looking back, with a video screen mounted on the visor. Anyone done something like that?

Attachments

• Kubota M5041 cab mirror_9051.jpeg
    Kubota M5041 cab mirror_9051.jpeg
    588.2 KB · Views: 49
   / Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam? #2  
Plenty here have installed cameras, including myself. I have front and rear wired cameras, with a 7" screen on top of the dash. I opted for wired cameras when I realized many (?) wired camera products have the power built into the video cable. A short 12v run from the monitor to the fuse panel, and the two camera video cables also carry power to the cameras.

/ Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam? #3  
Yep, I have Halo cameras and monitor. I like the rear facing camera but I wouldn't ever take my mirrors off. I don't have much trouble with mine getting knocked around so I use the mirrors for spots I can't see with the cameras.

/ Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam? #4  
I just installed one on my tractor for the very reason you mentioned. I hit branches with my mirrors and then I can't see the sides of the batwing mower. I mounted my camera to the top of my cab, but the field of view isn't wide enough to see past the batwing. It's only 12 feet wide, but it's not far enough behind the tractor that the camera can see all of it. Either I need a wider angle camera, or I need two cameras. I haven't mowed with it yet, so I'm not going to do anything until I have a few hours of using it.

I backed up to the mower to take the picture. I do like how much better I can see what's behind me when backing up, so maybe it's good for that?

This is what I bought. The picture is nice and clear. It was simple to install. The cable from the camera to the screen is way too long. I didn't measure it, and I didn't see how long it is on the website, but I bet it's plenty long for one of those RV buses. But it works, it's just challenging to hide all that cable.

IMG_2909.JPG

/ Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam? #5  
I rotate the mirror arm to the windshield front, then adjust the mirror to be looking behind me through the cab.

I shred ranches with both tractors, and in oak tree and other brush locations, so one small branch can move the mirrors back so that you can't open the doors... Not a good thing.

Bringing the mirrors to the front of the windshield affords me enough rear view, without constantly tweaking the adjustment or getting locked in my cab. Sometimes I opt to just take the right side mirror completely off, as I already have an inside rear view mirror in that location.

KcfKVaf.jpg

/ Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam?
Thanks. I will try that.

/ Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam?
I just installed one on my tractor for the very reason you mentioned. I hit branches with my mirrors and then I can't see the sides of the batwing mower. I mounted my camera to the top of my cab, but the field of view isn't wide enough to see past the batwing. It's only 12 feet wide, but it's not far enough behind the tractor that the camera can see all of it. Either I need a wider angle camera, or I need two cameras. I haven't mowed with it yet, so I'm not going to do anything until I have a few hours of using it.

I backed up to the mower to take the picture. I do like how much better I can see what's behind me when backing up, so maybe it's good for that?

This is what I bought. The picture is nice and clear. It was simple to install. The cable from the camera to the screen is way too long. I didn't measure it, and I didn't see how long it is on the website, but I bet it's plenty long for one of those RV buses. But it works, it's just challenging to hide all that cable.

View attachment 859990
Good idea. I am gonna try something similar using an old iPad tablet and a magnetic base video camera I have on hand for my old pickup.
Here's a short video that I made that shows my rear view camera while driving down to my pond to pull my mower out of the mud.

Great video, Eddie. I enjoyed that. Been there, done that - but not so smoothly. Lovely pavilion BTW.
Have you tried one of those kinetic energy tow straps? Bubba Rope is the name, I think. Amazing devices.

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
   / Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam? #9  
I got one from amazon installed in the SS. Those machines are notoriously bad for rear visibility. The unit I got can toggle between 2 views. I installed a regular view camera just below the roof and lower I installed a wide angle for close work. I can flip the toggle switch to change between cameras

Attachments

• IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 21
   / Anyone replaced side mirrors on tractor cab with rear view video cam? #10  
Camera's are a great idea, but have many pitfalls too. They require a more complex installation with bringing wires in from outside the cab, they are one more thing to troubleshoot when they act up, and the camera is often outside and gets dirty making it hard to see when its facing into the sun. Not sure how much or what your mowing but if its dusty that camera will collect the dust even up high. Also of its raining it makes them very hard to see out of.

I prefer mirrors if I can make them work. The nicest mirrors I ever used were in a White 4-150. They had two mirrors one on each side of the inside of the cab. You could angle them to face straight back for when on the road, or filling a silage wagon or you could angle them to the down to look at the implement. Because they were on both sides of the cab my fat noggin did not get in the way (I am balding and do not need reminded).
I do not have any photos of them but below are some I got off of tractorhouse.
In this you can see them in the cab.
1712708248793.png

This tractor had them angled down looking at the tires. Notice no photo of the cameraman but a good view of the rear tires.
1712708273953.png

All in all I would try the twin inside mirror setup before doing cameras. if the rear window gets dirty you can flick the rear wiper and see again. I like Rockinbbar's idea, its similar to what the 4-150 but not as nice since you cannot angle them down and get good visibility of the implement since the cab gets in the way.