Tilling tricks

/ Tilling tricks #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
When I till small gardens the soil gets pushed up and seems to get built up to the back of the garden (where I started tilling. ) and the soil is thinner where I finishing tilling.

Is there any tricks to keep the soil more level like going slower or weld the back flap down. In my tiller the tines move the same direction as the tires.

/ Tilling tricks #2  
If you have room, just turn around and till the opposite direction over the same ground. The flow of dirt will level out.

I think of it like a blanket. As you till one direction the blanket of soil is pulled backward several inches. It causes a clumping at one end. Going the other direction pulls the soil back to its original position and the last few inches redistributes the clump back into the garden.

/ Tilling tricks
If you have room, just turn around and till the opposite direction over the same ground. The flow of dirt will level out.

I think of it like a blanket. As you till one direction the blanket of soil is pulled backward several inches. It causes a clumping at one end. Going the other direction pulls the soil back to its original position and the last few inches redistributes the clump back into the garden.

Many times I do not have room but when I do I will turn around. Thanks for the suggestion.

/ Tilling tricks #4  
In most confined or fenced gardens you may not be able to drive up close to the fence to redistribute. I use a rake and shovel on the end of the rows to straighten and level them back up.

/ Tilling tricks #5  
Back drag with front end loader, I am adding on to the end of my strawberry patch and that is my fix.

/ Tilling tricks #6  
If I till in one direction ( like north to south) after I finish I always run the outside ends of the garden east to west ( right angle to the tilling). That smooths the ends pretty well.

/ Tilling tricks #7  
In tight places I back drag with the FEL, too. One year I tried tilling in the regular direction and then the opposite direction as far as I could but it tended to create a shallow trench in the middle of the garden.