Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #1  

cmkh3

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 322
What say you to support the use of either a tiller or a plow, cultivator and a disk harrow. One web site that I was on said that the method of using a plow, cultivator and disk harrow is still used and even hinted at being preferred by some to using a tiller. One reason was the cost of the implements both initial and upkeep. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Chris

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #2  
Depends a lot on the amount of acreage that will be cultivated and tractor HP.

The tillers are handy in small areas.

Egon

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #3  
Chris, like Egon says, it depends on what you're going to do with the ground and the implement. Are you talking about field crops, pasture, garden? How large an area? What size tractor?

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #4  
Definitely cheaper to buy the latter three, but you have to make more runs. OK if you want seat time. Not OK if you just want it done. Also, most agronimists now concur that over using a plow causes compaction or a "plowpan".

Another thing about plowing is that you need to have your rear wheels set up right so that one side sets in the furrow you just made.

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #5  
A tractor mounted tiller is much easier to use skillwise, and you are done in one pass. But there is a certain soul satisfying pleasure in plowing (maybe because I don't do it for a living). The cultivator tools are useful for weeding, and loosing the soil after your plants are up. The sleeve hitch or 3 point (if so equiped) can also be used for other things besides plowing. There are planters, rear blades, stone rakes, etc. that can be used. As mentioned above, your choice could be influenced by how large an area you are doing, what crops you intend to plant, and what tractor you have. You can't pull a plow with a $800 tiny wheeled lawn tractor of any color, but some will operate a tiller.

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow
I am looking at a Garden tractor size of tractor. The main garden will be 40 X 100 the other use for a tiller or plow along with a small box scrapper type of deal is to prep pathways hopefully to be NGR beds in the future.

Chris

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow
Wouldn't you also get "plowpan" or "tillerpan" from a tiller if it is overused as well?

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #8  
Plow pan can be cured by plowing the soil loose, then temperarily removing the soil and plowing again getting double depth, and then returning the original soil, same with tilling. The advantage to the tiller is that the tractor goes through once and you have done a width equal to the tiller, where plowing requires driving in 10"-12" width increments for each furrow equalling many more passes and the higher chance of soil compaction. This is less of a problem with a garden tractor of under 1000 pounds in weight than a farm tractor of 4000-15000 pounds of weight.

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #9  
I personally have a plow and disc. now i would love to have a tiller but the cost versus how much i would use it is not worth it.

I also get a certain satisfaction when plowing and discing. i love making new food plots . the smell of fresh dirt is sooo great.
good thing they don't have a perfume with that smell. i would be like the enzyte man! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tiller versus plow, cultivator, and disk harrow #10  
If you have a garden tractor go for the tiller. You will never be able to pull a disk and do a decent job.

Egon