Tie Rod issue.. what would you do?

/ Tie Rod issue.. what would you do? #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Hello guys. I have a 2021 MT357HC. 200 hours on the unit so far, I love it!! I have only had 1 problem to speak of, and it keeps haunting me. I will start by saying, I have an awesome local dealer, and they have my back. In this particular case, I am not sure what to do though, it's unique. So at 50 hours, I noticed my left wheel had play in it, as in steering play. Right wheel was fine.. but the left wheel had like 1/2 inch of play in the inner tie rod (ball joint part). Called the dealer, and they told me to come pick up a new one. I installed it myself (I am more so than average mechanically inclined.. I do most of my own repairs when I can). Repair done, all good. About 100 hours later, I notice play in both wheels.. about 1/4". Called dealer, they gave me 2 brand new ones.. all good. Installed the new ones. A mere 2 hours later (after bush hogging about 3 acres), both are loose again. About 1/4" play in both. Now before anyone says "user error", I have owned 2 tractors before this one. They both had well over 1,000 hours on them before I traded them in, never replaced a tie rod. I use this tractor the same exact way. I also baby my steering components when possible (I avoid full lock unless necessary, and never turn the wheels unless the tractor is moving). The point is... there must be a manufacture issue with these ball joints for them to be failing this fast. Obviously, I should probably go to the dealer again. But my fear is that they will just give me another set exactly the same and they will fail shortly again. Rinse, repeat.... so.... my thought is to maybe order some from a different manufacturer (kubota, jd, moog, etc) and go that route. Just thought I would get some opinions on what you guys would do. My dealer is stellar, and is 20 mins from my house. I just hate to keep installing tie rods that are going to fail. It's a good couple hours to swap them out ever time.

/ Tie Rod issue.. what would you do?
I do want to add to my previous post, I should probably let my dealer know about this because my bumper to bumper warranty is up in January , and this probably should be documented.

/ Tie Rod issue.. what would you do? #3  
Shorten the lube interval? Are the new tie-rods properly greased when you get them? after install? Have you cut open a failed tie rod to see what the problem is? Gauled metal on the ball end or socket (chinesium steel)? or is it a lack of grease issue (bad seals/not enough volume)? failure after 2 hours of use sounds like they may come without grease in them.

/ Tie Rod issue.. what would you do? #4  
That's kinda where I was heading. Not having this issue myself, still have the factory tie rods since 2018 makes me think there is something going on with the tractor itself: something is out of alignment or damaged causing the tie rods to fail. OR lack of lubrication... OR it could be a bad batch of tie rods from the factory that the OP simply the bad luck of the draw.

As far as using a different make/model tie rods, at an MT to the first part of the part number, and order it from New Holland. Probably still made in the same factory, but it is a different make! :cautious::ROFLMAO:

Here is some more info. When i first got the tractor, at 50 hours when the first tie rods failed, i pulled back the rubber boot, and rusty water poured out, and the ball ends were corroded. It was obvoius what the problem was. On the 2nd set, i peeled the boots back before i installed them and they were greased. Looked good. This 3rd set was also properly greased. Its not a lubrication issue. Also, my steering stops are set properly for the loader, and I have double checked to be sure that there is not an oversteer issue or anything else damaging them. The tractor is essentially brand new, its not an alignment or lube issue. I think its a bad run of parts. I spoke to my LS dealer today and he is contacting LS directly to see what they recommend. Either way warranty is covering it so its all good. I will update as I learn more. Other than this minor issue, im in love with the tractor. And I consider this very minor. Every brand has part source issues like this from time to time. My dealer is awesome so it's all good!

/ Tie Rod issue.. what would you do? #6  
Typhoon
Does your tractor have ball joints that thread into end of steering cylinder and take linear thrust along with conventional tie rod ends that are perpendicular with tapered shaft that goes into steering arm by each wheel? My Branson is this way and ball joints by the cylinders get slop in them while conventional tie rods are fine.

/ Tie Rod issue.. what would you do? #7  
Reads like a problem I had with my first new car, a Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) 128SL. Within 6 thousand miles the front wheel bearings went bad, replaced under warranty.
now this was in 1978 in Alexandria, Va at the Fiat Dealer. A few thousand later, bad again. Back to the shop. Drive out of the shop, 5 miles later they were grinding again,
This time they let me in the shop to watch the mechanic replace them. He said they failed often on all that model.
Procedure was -
Pull the wheel off, whack it out using a small sledge and a piece of wood as a drift. Whack a new one in. That set lasted about 4 thousand miles. I replaced them myself, then replaced the car.
Don't know if it was poor parts, poor procedure or both.

/ Tie Rod issue.. what would you do? #8  
Do the tie rods have grease zerks in them? Maybe get the specs off the old one and buy a MOOG part.

Typhoon
Does your tractor have ball joints that thread into end of steering cylinder and take linear thrust along with conventional tie rod ends that are perpendicular with tapered shaft that goes into steering arm by each wheel? My Branson is this way and ball joints by the cylinders get slop in them while conventional tie rods are fine.
Yep! This is exactly what they are. However, I don’t believe that there should be any slop, ever. I believe regardless of vehicle type, steering should be tight.

Interesting development today. I just got back from my dealer. I got another new set of tie rods. They are a different (new) part number, and look slightly different but same basic design. But most importantly, the parts guy had done his homework and when i walked in, he showed me a service bulletin back from 2019 about tie rods on MT3 tractors. It says that our steering stops need to be adjusted out to 41mm in order to reduce tie rod binding. When I got home, I measured mine at 34mm. So..... I have high hopes that this solves it. For all you guys with MT3s, make sure your steering stops are set at 41mm!