Thread seal everything?

/ Thread seal everything? #1  

future_vision

Gold Member
Tractor
DK6010SE HSA
I added a 3rd function kit to my tractor and it leaks on both ends where the hoses run to the attachment to where they tie into the hose that run to the 3rd function housing. I recall using thread sealant somewhere along the path but I don't recall exactly. Does it make sense to use thread sealant regardless of the fitting type?

/ Thread seal everything? #2  
Are those NPT fittings?

It definitely depends on the fitting type -- for example, the ones that have an angled mating surface (like JIC 37 degree fittings) will not benefit from sealant, and bulkhead fittings need an o-ring or hydraulic washer (dowty seal).

I had a bunch of leaks, and every one of them required a different solution. I only use hydraulic-rated thread sealant on NPT fittings. And the NPTF (Nat'l Pipe Thread Fuel) fittings don't actually need sealant. (and never use Teflon tape...)

Last edited:
   / Thread seal everything? #3  
No it doesn't. On ORB, flat face and JIC fittings it isn't necessary, but I have seen people tape JIC fittings

/ Thread seal everything? #4  
You shouldnt be useing any kind of tape on any part of a hydraulic system. It can get in the hydraulic flow and cought in valves.

If you dont have NPT fittings you dont need any sealant.

/ Thread seal everything? #5  
NPT fittings are really only supposed to be used once...after the surfaces are mated reuse requires more torque...
There is nothing wrong with using tape as long as you know what you're doing...many commercial equipment mechanics and shops use it on both new and used equipment...the biggest problem with tape is getting the remains out of a F/M port etc...
For the most part especially with NPT sealant or tape is just a lubricant to allow a tight mechanical fit...

/ Thread seal everything?
I don't recall what fittings were on both ends of the hoses. I know I did a lot of research before hooking everything up. That being said is it just best to replace them all? Or maybe I just need to crank down on them a bit first and see if that resolves the issue?

/ Thread seal everything? #7  
I don't recall what fittings were on both ends of the hoses. I know I did a lot of research before hooking everything up. That being said is it just best to replace them all? Or maybe I just need to crank down on them a bit first and see if that resolves the issue?
Figure out what kind of fittings they are before doing that.

What brand/ model machine are you talking about?

/ Thread seal everything? #8  
Kioti kit would have been BSPP

/ Thread seal everything?
Figure out what kind of fittings they are before doing that.

What brand/ model machine are you talking about?
Kioti DK6010 and it was the Kioti 3rd function kit not the W. R. Long kit. Looks like when I bough my grapple I needed to let them couple the coupler style. It was 1/2 inch ag style or parker 66 style according to me research at the time.

Last edited:
   / Thread seal everything? #10  
I just used sealing washers on my fittings. Dowty type