Thread locker on fuel tank?

/ Thread locker on fuel tank? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
Does anyone know if Loctite Blue 242 thread locker is OK to use on fuel systems? I'm replacing the fuel shut off on my generator. It screws into the bottom of the tank. I used to have some thread sealing tape that was approved for fuel system use, but can't find it. I'm hoping the Loctite stuff is OK to use, but nothing on the label mentions gasoline.

/ Thread locker on fuel tank?
he fine print on the tube should tell if is. Probably need a magnifying glass.

It says nothing on the tube about gasoline, one way or the other. I still have the blister pack it came in - nothing on there either. I'm just guessing that this means it's not OK with gas. I'd expect them to brag about it if it were.

/ Thread locker on fuel tank? #4  
I use this stuff on all fuel related threads. Lowes here carries it. Might try auto parts stores. Comes small squeeze tubes as well.

ge16-eseal-off.jpg

/ Thread locker on fuel tank? #5  
OK - so here I am - 5AM on Turkey Day - reading the fine print on my brand new unopened bottle of Loctite 242 BLUE. It say - designed for metal parts, not plastic (on back of blister pack)

It says for oil pan bolts and valve covers(front of blister pack). If it's OK for use in an oil environment - I would guess it's OK for use in a gasoline environment.

On the back of the blister pack - bottom, left side - - a phone # to call in the USA. 1 860 571 5100

/ Thread locker on fuel tank? #6  
OK - so here I am - 5AM on Turkey Day - reading the fine print on my brand new unopened bottle of Loctite 242 BLUE. It say - designed for metal parts, not plastic (on back of blister pack)

It says for oil pan bolts and valve covers(front of blister pack). If it's OK for use in an oil environment - I would guess it's OK for use in a gasoline environment.

On the back of the blister pack - bottom, left side - - a phone # to call in the USA. 1 860 571 5100

Maybe not!
Gasoline acts as a solvent,...oil not so much.

/ Thread locker on fuel tank? #7  
If you are trying to seal pipe threads, a thread locker formulated for threaded fasteners is not the right application.

I'd use a teflon based thread sealant. And, use it sparingly keeping it off the first two rows of threads on the fitting.

/ Thread locker on fuel tank?

I went on their web site and sent a question to customer service two days ago. No answer yet.

/ Thread locker on fuel tank? #10  
I have used aviation permatex on fuel connections. No leaks but not sure if they will come back apart. :)