Thoughts on 02 F450 dump

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #121  
Look deep first to check for other rusty components. Brake lines, brake calipers, engine and body mounts, etc. Cosmetic Is one thing, but critical safety items would be a deal breaker for me.
I think/ hope his mechanic gave him some good perspective 4 sets of eyes on something questionable like this is always better than two in my experience and I'm not referring to wearing glasses lol.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #122  
I have a 91 F650 diesel dump (Harsh hoist). One benefit over the trailers is load capacity. I've rented a trailer here and there and they seemed to be limited to 4K#. When you're regraveling your drive, that's a lot of trips with a trailer. BTW --- the inside of my cab is a mess from previous owner(s), dash is not good.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #123  
I have a 91 F650 diesel dump (Harsh hoist). One benefit over the trailers is load capacity. I've rented a trailer here and there and they seemed to be limited to 4K#. When you're regraveling your drive, that's a lot of trips with a trailer. BTW --- the inside of my cab is a mess from previous owner(s), dash is not good.

My dump trailer is rated at 11k which is still a lot less than my F-750 will haul.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #124  
Sounds like you have made up your mind. No problem there. Lots of good perspectives here. Here's mine.

I think you would be better off with a correctly sized dump trailer for your F150. Either a 12' or 14' bumper pull. (usually 5 tons legally) You can find dump trailers used as well. A dump trailer will be much easier to repair and keep running in the long run especially if you are doing the work yourself.

I've owned a IH 4700 dump truck (a little over 7 tons legally) commercially and currently own a 16', 18K GN dump trailer. (8 tons legally. I shoot for 6 tons so it will last.)

For the average person the dump trailer is a way better deal in the long run. That's not counting the restoration and continual rust abatement you are faced with on that particular truck.

Way less annual maintenance on a dump trailer compared to a dump truck. Way easier to keep road legal over the years as well. My experience is the dump trailer draws less official attention.

Here is a issue no one has mentioned. The bed on the IH dump was short. (9' irrc) The bed on the truck you are looking at is even shorter. (8'?) When you go to a yard to pick up bulk materials Jimmy the loader operator is going to dump everything on the tail end limiting how much you can haul.

The 12' or 14' dump trailer is long enough for Jimmy the loader operator successfully load with bulk materials.

With the 12' or 14' dump you will be able to haul more loose/light materials than with the truck. You can even haul a small tractor in the dump trailer that you likely wouldn't put up into the dump truck. You will likely need a tarp to cover the load with either.

One slight positive to the dump truck vs dump trailer is that the loaded dump truck will operate on slightly softer ground than the loaded dump trailer. Not much but there is a difference.

You tubber "Outdoors with the Morgans" has an older dump truck and a newer dump trailer. He has some good perspectives on each.

Best of luck either way.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #125  
If the frame and drive train are good, replace the whole cab from a junk yard. Ford mechanics have been doing this for years. You will NEVER be able to arrest the rust problem this truck has. That's why they call it cancer. Newer F450's have to have the whole cab lifted off for various reasons. You Tube has the videos.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #126  
I have an opportunity to buy an 02 F450 Dump. V10, 6 speed, 4x4, engine driven hydraulics for dump, plow, spreader. Unit has about 50k miles. Cab is very rough on door bottoms, rockers, cab corners, floor. The frame and dump are ok.

I realize that I would have significant body work to do. It seems most panels that I would need are available after market.

If I could make a successful offer and get it for say $2000-3500, is that smart or should I just (try to) forget about it?

This would be for personal use on our 100 ac property, and include on road use to get materials, etc.

Insurance for limited use is quoted at less than $250/yr liability only to be added to our existing policy.

View attachment 784576View attachment 784577View attachment 784578View attachment 784579
I'd jump on it if the frame is solid .
Not a fan of 10 cylinder, but I have limited knowledge of that engine having never owned or been in one.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #127  
I love my rusty F250 but have learned the rust does affect things you can't see. Mine isn't as rusty as the pic. Over the two years I've had to deal with the following due to rust;
Rear brake backing plates. metal brake lines, metal parts of brake hoses, currently the radiator mount and bed mounts need replacing (probably wood on a dump). trans cooler lines (you don't have them with 6speed) Just an idea of what rust can do to a low milage (70k) never abused 2004.
Electr grounds decline, bad bad bad

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #128  
Doing the brakes which is likely required for safety would be $2k. I expect. Lines, booster, calipers etc. Budget $5k total. It is sort of a sinking ship with a few cruises left in it. Best of luck. Clutch sound OK? No Slippage?

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #129  
Didn’t read the entire thread, but I own a similar 1999 F450. Mine has a Boss straight blade plow, v10, and automatic, with about 73000 miles. I bought it at a municipal auction in 2007 for $4500. It was a former Park District truck, and cheaper than F250 pickups in equal condition. The suburb I lived in outs Chicago had an excellent maintenance program.

I listed it on Craigslist about a year and a half ago for $6500. Had second thoughts and withdrew the listing, but my email lit up with interest. One guy drove 350 miles one way to look at it. He tracked me down even though I didn’t give an address. He had a pocket full of cash and was pretty disappointed, to say the least when I wouldn’t sell.

Cab corners, inner and outer rockers are simple to replace. The corners can be replaced using structural adhesive, rockers are simple to mig weld in. Door bottoms are available, but southern doors are available from entrepreneurs in most little towns.

Downsides are the gvwr of mine is 14500, so legally I need a CDL to tow my 14000;lb trailer, and Michigan license and insurance is expensive, since the gvw of an F450 pushes it into commercial territory. Good news is that plates are available in quarterly increments.

I put brakes on it, repaired broken exhaust manifold studs, replaced one battery, a starter, and one tire over the 16 years I have owned it, as well as oil and grease on a sporadic basis.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump
Wild range of opinions and experiences here! I can choose from several different realities to live in. I do Appreciate everyone, from those who say I’m going to die a fiery death if I even have another thought of buying the truck to those who think I’m crazy that it’s not parked in my shop right now. Lots to consider.