Thoughts on 02 F450 dump

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #111  
I have an opportunity to buy an 02 F450 Dump. V10, 6 speed, 4x4, engine driven hydraulics for dump, plow, spreader. Unit has about 50k miles. Cab is very rough on door bottoms, rockers, cab corners, floor. The frame and dump are ok.

I realize that I would have significant body work to do. It seems most panels that I would need are available after market.

If I could make a successful offer and get it for say $2000-3500, is that smart or should I just (try to) forget about it?

This would be for personal use on our 100 ac property, and include on road use to get materials, etc.

Insurance for limited use is quoted at less than $250/yr liability only to be added to our existing policy.

View attachment 784576View attachment 784577View attachment 784578View attachment 784579
No. Rust IS also a mechanical issue. Unless you are capable of welding all the panels, removing the truck from the frame (it’s called a frame-off restoration) and doing the mechanical rebuild in your spare time, at no cost and the parts are free, no.
here is the cost:
sheet metal material
brake lines, fuel lines, sensors
e
ectrical rewire parts
gas tank sending unit and pump
parts for engine and under hood
coatings
sand for blasting
body work supplies
800 hours of your time.

or, you can buy one from the West Coast (Oregon is a great place to look) for $12-15k and $2000 shipping.

tally each one up and send that one to the crusher after you part it out. It’s junk.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #112  
I have an opportunity to buy an 02 F450 Dump. V10, 6 speed, 4x4, engine driven hydraulics for dump, plow, spreader. Unit has about 50k miles. Cab is very rough on door bottoms, rockers, cab corners, floor. The frame and dump are ok.

I realize that I would have significant body work to do. It seems most panels that I would need are available after market.

If I could make a successful offer and get it for say $2000-3500, is that smart or should I just (try to) forget about it?

This would be for personal use on our 100 ac property, and include on road use to get materials, etc.

Insurance for limited use is quoted at less than $250/yr liability only to be added to our existing policy.

View attachment 784576View attachment 784577View attachment 784578View attachment 784579
If you have the skill to do these repairs yourself and have a welder, good enough buy for what you are planning. Your future will have a month of sundays sorting this thing out and working on it, so consider the hassle factor if you don’t have time / patience.

Also, what are you going to load with? The height of those trucks for hand loading isn’t exactly ideal.

If you aren’t the fixit yourself type, probably better to steer clear. Someone mentioned the spark plugs spitting out - don’t overlook as it would be a major expense & hassle day 1.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #113  
I have over the years considered a dump trailer . I have always had a 1/2 ton pickup so the capacity for a dump trailer would be pretty small. I’d hate to give up the ride comfort and improved MPG to get a 3/4 or 1 ton for occasionally heavy towing.

If I bought the dump truck, believe me, after fixing the problem panels, I’d be dousing the thing in Pfc or Fluid Film annually.
I have a one ton 1998 Chevy non dually and it’s comfortable as my half ton

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #114  
A rusty dump trucks is also a great place to dispose of used motor and hydraulic oil with a sprayer imo lol.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #115  
A V-10 is a good motor. My v-10 has as much power as my 7.3psd while being much cheaper to buy and work on. But the rust is a no from me. I’ve had rusty trucks before and I won’t have another one. At least to drive. What I trade for is another story.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #116  
I love my rusty F250 but have learned the rust does affect things you can't see. Mine isn't as rusty as the pic. Over the two years I've had to deal with the following due to rust;
Rear brake backing plates. metal brake lines, metal parts of brake hoses, currently the radiator mount and bed mounts need replacing (probably wood on a dump). trans cooler lines (you don't have them with 6speed) Just an idea of what rust can do to a low milage (70k) never abused 2004.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #117  
It's all about the potential new owners tolerance and skills to repair. For some rust is a no go under any circumstances for others like me it's an opportunity to get something that can be made useful that's cheap. Granted I don't have to worry about annual inspections nor did I drive my old dump truck on public blacktop very often. If your resourceful and can deal with the quirks associated with buying a 20+ year old dump truck for personal use at what seems like a very reasonable price it's a no brainer imo.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #118  
V10 was reliable, had it in a motor home but only 8mpg loaded, empty, towing. would prefer 7.3 diesel. If frame is solid body can be patched. Due diligence on frame!

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #119  
Unless you are planning on entering it in cars shows, and esp since it is for only occasional work, I wouldn't worry about the body work other than making sure the floor is sound so you don't get exhaust fumes in the cab. You might eventually need to replace some brake or fuel lines, although the Ford coated lines seem to last longer that GMs zinc plated lines. I buy the copper-nickel replacement lines in coils, its easier to bend than a steel line and will never rust through again. All you need is a flaring tool and a bending tool which are pretty cheap, a coil of line and a few fittings. That part aside, if you really can use a dump truck that is a pretty decent price (for around here at least) and if it comes with the plow I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat!

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #120  
Look deep first to check for other rusty components. Brake lines, brake calipers, engine and body mounts, etc. Cosmetic Is one thing, but critical safety items would be a deal breaker for me. I had the V10 in a class C motorhome years ago. It could pull and accelerate like crazy. Under all circumstances it got 9mpg.