This is my last post on TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / This is my last post on TBN #191  
Bird, respectfully, I disagree with that basic premise.

I think there is a natural trend over time in human history, and in human nature, toward treating one another more decently.

Imperceptibly slow in the moment, obviously. But recognizing this gives us a goal, an ideal, to help us choose our actions.
A benevolent guy found a lamp while walking on the beach. When he whipped off the sand to get a better look, a genie appeared, granting the guy a wish for freeing him.

The guy wished for world peace, after a life time of searching, he found he was the last man on earth..........

Best,

ed

/ This is my last post on TBN #192  
If you want to really pee in your adversary's post toasties,tell them you reported them. That will upset your adversary more than taking snipes at them and you broke no rule in the process.
I used to do that... Guess what? I literally got yelled at by a moderator and was banned for 3 days. No :poop: ...

/ This is my last post on TBN #193  
I hate to see anyone go but especially James. It always seems we run into eachother on many threads....which to me signifies a pretty common interest in alot of things.

I too took quite some time off. Was getting burned out talking about the same tractor stuff everyday, and going to the "new posts" and not really seeing anything that sparked my interest. Just came back a few months ago so I am not really up to speed on current TBN events, and moderation, and what drove James to hang up his hat. But even then, I rarely venture outside tech forums or things associated with rural living and farming. Those types of discussions are simply not why I am here.

I will say that I agree that an explanation should be given for closing/locking threads, and deleting posts/threads. Often times people say and or do things many times without repercussion....then one day the axe drops and they are left wondering why. Even publicly declaring the offense committed so others learn what is allowed and what isnt.

For starters, alot of us joined many many moons ago. And whether we read the rules or just scrolled past them....who knows. But ask me to cite the rules I may or may not have read over a decade ago.... :ROFLMAO: Then go and update/change the rules. Even if you post a notification....unless it is getting alot of comments and traffic....it quickly falls off of the "new posts" page which is the only page I view.

And lets face it, the rules are not black and white. And anyone that says they are is Naive. Examples:

1. Insulting members is not allowed. This is a judgment call it seems based on the severity of the insult. Sometimes I see certain things deleted and think dang, a moderator must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Other times I see things remain that leave me dumfounded.

2. Arguing with other members, heated and unreasonable debate, "beating a dead horse" without any sign of rational thought process. Again, judgment call. I have been in several "debates" that were technical in nature. Sometimes I have seen posts removed, sometimes not. But by very definition....."unreasonable debate" is an opinion in the eye of the beholder. And beating a dead horse.....would pallets in the field or a rounded drain plug qualify as a dead horse?:ROFLMAO:

3. Profanity. I am not a fan of the rule. I type how I talk. And I am an adult, not a kindergartener. Sure....I am not for droping F-bombs left and right....but just what constitutes profanity? Or concealing it? There is profanity in this VERY thread as I just read through it. I often see @ and $$ used together. (and have done so myself). Is there a list of explicitly prohibited words? Or a list of acceptable ones? Or as the rules state...."excessive" profanity is prohibited. So how exactly does THIS cite define "excessive"......

4. Religious topics. The simple word GOD can be defined as religious. As is prayer. How many times do we see people offer "prayers" for someone that is injured, ill, in an accident, etc?

5. Political topics....almost everything can be construed as political. I get it.....you dont want a free for all like I have seen here in the past before TNT. But simply discussing gas prices, or a proposed pipeline that might hit close to home for someone, or even discussing taxes related to small business or farming, or local building codes, ROW's, etc. All "can" be political.

Quite simply the rules are NOT black and white. And people interpret them differently. And deleting posts, handing out bans and suspensions without further clarification, and doing so in an inconsistent manner is the rub from what I gather. If you interpret the rules as black and white....SEVERAL have been violated in this very thread. More transparency and more communication when infractions occur would certainly be welcomed in my book.
Where you been??? Could have saved me a lot of rambling responses.... :cool:

/ This is my last post on TBN #194  
Where you been??? Could have saved me a lot of rambling responses.... :cool:
Apparently I been behind and not keeping up with current TBN politics.

I still don't know what some of the stuff being referenced is about. Like who's sig had scripture, and who the mod is that most are taking issue with.

But I did read through this post, and some of the current ones in the news and feedback forum.

I think it's abundantly clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that members are wanting more reasoning and transparency with the rule enforcement.

I have seen moderators in the past say several times that they don't have the time to prune offending comments and steer a post back on track and that it's easier to just delete or lock threads. Personally I find that problematic. Get more moderators or get ones that do have the time.

Nothing worse than having a good discussion going...go to bed....and wake up the next morning and there is no trace anywhere. Then I'm left wondering if it was something I said, or something went off the rails after I went to bed, or was it something someone said before I went to bed but someone else found offensive. I'm sure others have the same questions.

And without knowing what mistakes were made, and what was prohibited content....it's doomed to be repeated.

Again....not really up to speed on exactly what went down. This is all new to me as of a few hours ago. I feel like an outsider looking in....so that is my impartial view after reading all of this post, as well as All of the comments on Muhammads poll about the rules thread and a few others.

I do know that I have the utmost respect for James, and sure gonna miss him here. So whatever drove him to this decision I don't think he took lightly.

There are many members on this forum. Good, bad, or indifferent.....many use this as a social platform, just to chat, or here for help only but don't really offer meaningful content. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either. But there are far fewer that you can always count on, and trust their advice, and make it a point to read every word even if it's a long winded post. Because they have earned that reputation and respect for their helpfulness and knowledge. James was one of those guys.

/ This is my last post on TBN #195  
Bird, respectfully, I disagree with that basic premise.

I think there is a natural trend over time in human history, and in human nature, toward treating one another more decently.

Imperceptibly slow in the moment, obviously. But recognizing this gives us a goal, an ideal, to help us choose our actions.
A benevolent guy found a lamp while walking on the beach. When he whipped off the sand to get a better look, a genie appeared, granting the guy a wish for freeing him.

The guy wished for world peace, after a life time of searching, he found he was the last man on earth..........

Best,

ed
What a disappointing world-view that reflects. No hope! Or was that reply to me just trolling, for entertainment?

Last edited:
   / This is my last post on TBN #196  
What a disappointing world-view that reflects. No hope! Or was that reply to me just trolling, for entertainment?
LOL don't take it for more than it is worth, and I don't think I troll.

People have always/will always be competitive, the ones that were good at it procreated and gained population. I believe most could see that with a simple study of history.

Doesn't mean we should be jerks, doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be good people, just means there will never be world peace, or lack of conflict. Happy to be wrong, but, hasn't happened yet.........

Best,

ed

/ This is my last post on TBN #197  
People have always/will always be competitive, the ones that were good at it procreated and gained population. I believe most could see that with a simple study of history.

Doesn't mean we should be jerks, doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be good people, just means there will never be world peace, or lack of conflict. Happy to be wrong, but, hasn't happened yet.........
Competition is good, it leads to progress. But I think when we are facing alternatives and one choice can help improve the human condition, then that alternative is the one to choose. Over time civilization has improved. I like to think this is one element of that progress.

/ This is my last post on TBN #198  
Competition is good, it leads to progress. But I think when we are facing alternatives and one choice can help improve the human condition, then that alternative is the one to choose. Over time civilization has improved. I like to think this is one element of that progress.
I think I am actively participating in derailing this thread, so I will be brief, but would be happy to discuss with you any time.

I would love for everyone to be happy, everyone's definition of happy is different.

I don't think I or my opinions are negative or pessimistic. I think the quickest path to unhappiness is unrealistic expectation. Sitting and waiting for all man kind to love each other would be a disappointing and painful wait.

That said I try and love my neighbor, and treat people the way I would like to be treated, and I do well (I think) most of the time. I bet you do the same, and I appreciate it.

Best,

ed

/ This is my last post on TBN #199  
I am sad to see k0ua go. I have learned from him, and many others here.

I have no opinion on *how* moderation is done, but appreciate that this site generally avoids political topics and that people generally treat each other with respect. In fact, I'm reading this thread rather ruefully, having just forcefully argued to some other Canadian friends earlier today that not every site with a strong U.S. presence has degenerated hopelessly into political bickering. I used TBN as an example of such a site that managed to stay (largely...admittedly there are exceptions) apolitical and on-topic, whatever that topic might me, rather than falling into the abyss. I hope it stays that way, for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.