Thinking outside the box

/ Thinking outside the box
Paul,

Congratulations on another fantastic build! Wow, when you get some extra time on your hands, look out! I do hope you made an extra one - that will look really nice on the front of my Grand L!

Thank you my friend. Christmas is tough on me because all the sitting around. We shut down for two weeks but I do get to sneak out to the shop during that time to play with my own projects. The extra one will have to wait. I've spend about four days at this thing but It wasn't like work.it was a fun project.This unit was built basically from scrap i had around the shop. The only thing I bought for it were the LED strobe lights. I had the gas shock, paint, steel so it cost me about $200. including decals to do but that don't include my four days of labor :(

Some questions for you:
1. How did you end up connecting it to the front brush guard? I couldn't really tell by the pictures.

That's a really good question and was one of the things I had to think about before I started in at this project.
I first built the box. The box it's self have four rounded corners which is tough to do but I won't get into that right now. after i got the box done I added the cornering ends and what I decided on was to use the existing hols that were in the front guard (two on each side) and weld four nuts on the inside of the box I built and to attach the storage unit I would go in through the LED cornering light opening and bolt it on through there. There's also two upper bolts on the back of the box that you can just see in the the first picture I've added. The holes were already there from the factory so I fabricated a small plate again with two nuts welded to it and bolted the unit on there as well.

The box is very, very strong but there were some great restrictions due to lack of room to work in and no room for error.

2. I noticed that you included a 12v adapter plug - what do you envision using this for? Or was it just a matter of 'you could'?

Well I was going to tell you that it was for charging my cell phone but wouldn't do it :laughing: Actually that's the lock for the storage unit. It has a rubber cover over the thing. A guy was in the shop yesterday and thought the same thing as you did.

3. When you start a project like this, do sketch it out in detail before you start or just sort of create as you go?

Well I've been asked that question many times and it,s another great question. I basically get the idea to build and think about it for a few days and just start in at it. I never sketch anything down and build as I go. I could build another one of these and have a totally different design.
When I built the "Crazy Cart" I remember my wife asking me as I was heading out to the shop the first evening "What will this cart look like" I replied "I don't have anything in mind but I'm hoping something will come to me when I get going. Here's the "Crazy Cart" I know you've seen it but some may not have:

YouTube - Crazy Cart

Looking forward to the video - please put a link on this thread once you get it done.

Take care,

Will do. Thanks for your questions and comments. :thumbsup:

Paul,

One other question - what about that rear PTO guard? Can you post some pics of that project as well?

Thanks,

I did post a few pics inside another thread but I'll start a fresh thread on it and let you know later today.

Wow. Nice job. I peeked at your profile. Yes, you are a perfectionist. How did you attach the round stock to the mounting tabs on the corner light guards? I don't see a weld.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. After I bent all the 3/8th rods to the exact length I drilled out the 1" flatbar and welded the rods on the back side of the flat bar for a cleaner look. The guards were installed with stainless bolts and a gasket installed between the two surfaces. Most of the box was mig welded from the inside except for the bottom part. I did the inside welding before I put the bottom on. It was my intention to tig the bottom on but I had three days on it by that time and it wasn't even painted yet so I migged it. (see photos)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Very much appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC07054.jpg
    DSC07054.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC07092.jpg
    DSC07092.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC07066.JPG
    DSC07066.JPG
    631.6 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC07085.jpg
    DSC07085.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 240
Paul, I second what Kenny said. Beautiful!!!

Great job as always Paul. You should sell that design to Kabota. I always look forward to your projects.
Bill

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated. I enjoy doing this stuff. I think my dream job would be to work for a manufacturer adding or improving on there products.
It's rewarding to hear guys like your self enjoy seeing this stuff because when your on a rock out in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean like I am doing this sort of thing you start to wonder to yourself if your not loosing it spending this much time building a simple box. Well I guess one could say it's time well wasted :laughing:

/ Thinking outside the box #13  
Just as I expected......... another half finished, moderately thought out project ! ;)

/ Thinking outside the box #15  
Your work is absolutely fantastic! Congrats! Troubling picture though.....:laughing:

/ Thinking outside the box #17  
Paul, a few questions about the strobes. Do you need a power supply with them or do you just connect them to the battery? Do they have multiple flash patterns? Where did you purchase them? Again great job!

/ Thinking outside the box #18  
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing. I really admire your quality of workmanship, and design skills. I have never seen anything quite like it.

Eddie

Paul, a few questions about the strobes. Do you need a power supply with them or do you just connect them to the battery? Do they have multiple flash patterns? Where did you purchase them? Again great job!

Stanley these lights are made by Grote. I attached the link but look around because you may get them cheaper elsewhere. I have them hooked up to my running lights. They draw only .25 of an amp. There water proof and very reliable. Mine are amber. You can have them either double flash or quad. One wire to ground and one wire to power. Here's how the red ones work on my forklift and the blower section of the tractor. If you order them you'll need to order the two pig tail wires (one for each light, two in total and two rubber grommets for them to rest in. Hope this helps, Paul

YouTube - Custom rear Kubota lights

YouTube - Custom lift running at night

Grote Oval LED Strobe Lights Yellow 77363 | Wheeling Truck Center

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing. I really admire your quality of workmanship, and design skills. I have never seen anything quite like it.

Eddie

Thank you very much Eddie. Very nice of you to post that. :)