Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #442  
I'd like to have that 1955 Ford Crown Victoria with the Continental kit.
You and me too. Have a friend with one just like it. He might sell...

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #443  
You and me too. Have a friend with one just like it. He might sell...
I used to have one but it didn't have the Continental kit. I thought the round radio was unique. Traded it for a 63 ford falcon.

I wouldn't mind having either one back.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #445  
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #446  
Near the end of WWII, in late 1944, three US B-29 Superfortresses were forced to land in Russia near Vladivostok. The Russians seized them but returned the crews. They had been trying to get B-29's through the Lend-Lease program but weren't allowed to get any.
So the Tupolev design bureau took them, disassembled them and began making nearly exact copies, called the TU-4.
Years later an engineer that had worked on the original B-29 design was able to inspect a TU-4, and found that the copies were so exact the Russians had even copied a couple of holes in the main spar carry-through that were mistakes in the original design but had no use.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #447  
They also made Model A Ford "B" engines and powered their "Jeeps"

The engines were quality and in the 60's-70's brand new surplus Russian Model A Ford engines were being sold stateside.

Last edited:
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #448  
Near the end of WWII, in late 1944, three US B-29 Superfortresses were forced to land in Russia near Vladivostok. The Russians seized them but returned the crews. They had been trying to get B-29's through the Lend-Lease program but weren't allowed to get any.
So the Tupolev design bureau took them, disassembled them and began making nearly exact copies, called the TU-4.
Years later an engineer that had worked on the original B-29 design was able to inspect a TU-4, and found that the copies were so exact the Russians had even copied a couple of holes in the main spar carry-through that were mistakes in the original design but had no use.
By coincidence, I read about those B-29 copies somewhere else today or yesterday.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #450  
By coincidence, I read about those B-29 copies somewhere else today or yesterday.

I learned about them in my Russian language class 1955 Syracuse U. Small AF detachment off campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.