Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #551  
w
The false front wagons were home made. Not sure if the 90deg unloading forks are still available.
The ratchet jack here is in the toolshed yet, and the forks are still hung on the rafters ready to be used.
What were those used for?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #552  
We had silage wagons that would unload from the rear, into the dog leg on the silo blower. The wagons had a movable front section, attached by cable to a rotating pipe column in the back. To unload we would unhook the back door to the wagon and prop it up, attach the ratchet to the column, the column turns and would pull the silage back, claw the silage off with the 90deg tine fork onto the blower. This would be 1959. Just before that, they had used the corn binder and ensiler at the silo, so this was a big improvement in productivity. Some silo blowers even came with a ratchet jack as part of their transmission assembly.
Even further back they used the binder, ensiler, and an elevator. The picture of the JD B with brick silo is ours in 1959. And just for fun, the same silo in 1908 with an elevator, ensiler and early gas engine.

Attachments

• image_2022-09-29_203505831.png
    image_2022-09-29_203505831.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • false front silage wagon.jpg
    false front silage wagon.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 72
  • false front silage wagon2.jpg
    false front silage wagon2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 78
  • silo 1908.jpg
    silo 1908.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 75
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #553  
@BnRidge ⚡💡 now I get it! Thanks for sharing. I couldn't figure what the ratchet jack was.

Those ensilers scared the heck out of me as a kid. They just seemed to me to be designed to eat people. I wasn't too wild about the big drive belts, either...

All the best,

Peter

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #554  
Yep. And now the antiabortionists are prohibiting CONTRACEPTIVES!! I swear their only goal is to turn women into law breakers.
you're no better than the biased media...using the term "antiabortionists" when what you mean is a minor yet loud portion of the general conservative populous that don't think abortions should be used as birth control etc...

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #555  
The anti birth control crowd is mostly Catholic, since the Pope says birth control is evil. The only people paying attention to that are trolling for votes. As you say, the freakazoids are loud. Nuts, though. Little Susie can mail order her morning after pills in a plain brown wrapper and nobody the wiser.

Actually, Louisiana SB 388 passed and signed by the governor prohibits receiving those medications from out of state.

Status
Not open for further replies.