Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #351  
I was helping the next door neighbor move a while back and they had two bars of this they were going to toss...
20220822_135848~2[1].jpg

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #352  
Apparently you can still order Fels Naptha.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #353  
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #354  
No 20 mule team Boraxo? Now you went and did it. Had 2 order 2 bars for my wife...lol

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #355  
A few years back, I checked. The current reported formulation is different from way, way back (no more naphtha due to the cancer hazard), and these days it contains terpenes, e.g. turpentine and orange oil. Same goal, arguably safer ingredients.

I don't know the date of the reformulation

All the best,

Peter

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #356  
How about Dynamite?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #357  
There used to be 2 different (but similar) stink baits that worked (for varmint hunting) better than anything before or since. The first one was labelled "10 Dead Horse" (because it smelled like that). And the other one was called "7 miles of dead fish" (yup, it smelled like it).

Used to pull in coyotes from 2 counties over (not really, but it seemed like it).

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #358  
A few years back, I checked. The current reported formulation is different from way, way back (no more naphtha due to the cancer hazard), and these days it contains terpenes, e.g. turpentine and orange oil. Same goal, arguably safer ingredients.

I don't know the date of the reformulation

All the best,

Peter
I guess we will see as I ordered it a little while ago.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #359  
I remember driving through there with my big truck and the wind was always blowing the wrong way.
Springtime is the worst season: dry and windy. I enjoy the other 3 seasons.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #360  
I think you would find property owners very proactive here and in much of Northern CA as in wine country but even vineyards burned with no dense forest.

Private dozer operators saved many but also came under attack by regulators for blazing trails in sensitive wetlands and on public lands.

It takes a permit with public comment to remove most trees and permit is several hundred dollars… just saying.

When all said and done it was 2k for me to have a single backyard walnut tree taken down…

Embers can travel many miles and high wind with low humidity is akin to a tinderbox situation leaving only structural hardening…
I was a situation unit leader on an incident management team for 15+ years. You are correct that wind driven fire brands can ignite structures that are not in a hazardous forest location. But typically, houses with defensible space and reduced fuels are those that fire teams spend efforts on protecting. Those in hazardous fuels locations are too risky to defend because it puts lives at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.