Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #331  
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #332  
Insurance companies should do risk rating of homes located in flammable forest locations and assign a high rate for properties where the owners haven’t reduced hazards by thinning trees and brush, and reduce rates for those who have reduced their hazards.
They do... we all pay a high rate and if you aren't on top of it you're cancelled...

Very hard to get insurance now and much harder if cancelled... and the companies know it.

Fire rating based on build is almost non existent...

Spending money on a clay tile roof, now exterior exposed wood, triple pane windows, full inside and out fire sprinklers plus we'll cleared with a fire hydrant in front with 180 psi and a fire station a 1/4 mile away means nothing...

What counts is how close to park and open space!

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #333  
"Insurance companies should do risk rating of homes located in flammable forest locations and assign a high rate for properties where the owners haven’t reduced hazards by thinning trees and brush, and reduce rates for those who have reduced their hazards."

I've done that, but everyone else around me has not. Its a weird situation. I have reminded neighbors to get their forest fire loads down. And they don't care at all.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #334  
They do... we all pay a high rate and if you aren't on top of it you're cancelled...

Very hard to get insurance now and much harder if cancelled... and the companies know it.

Fire rating based on build is almost non existent...

Spending money on a clay tile roof, now exterior exposed wood, triple pane windows, full inside and out fire sprinklers plus we'll cleared with a fire hydrant in front with 180 psi and a fire station a 1/4 mile away means nothing...

What counts is how close to park and open space!
What should count most is the forest density, brush, and other fuels around the structure. That directly relates to how defensible the structure is to wildfire.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #335  
"Insurance companies should do risk rating of homes located in flammable forest locations and assign a high rate for properties where the owners haven’t reduced hazards by thinning trees and brush, and reduce rates for those who have reduced their hazards."

I've done that, but everyone else around me has not. Its a weird situation. I have reminded neighbors to get their forest fire loads down. And they don't care at all.
Your house will be the one that fire teams defend during wildfires.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #336  
Shoestring potatoes. Not an order, but they were in every grocery store.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #337  
What should count most is the forest density, brush, and other fuels around the structure. That directly relates to how defensible the structure is to wildfire.
I think you would find property owners very proactive here and in much of Northern CA as in wine country but even vineyards burned with no dense forest.

Private dozer operators saved many but also came under attack by regulators for blazing trails in sensitive wetlands and on public lands.

It takes a permit with public comment to remove most trees and permit is several hundred dollars… just saying.

When all said and done it was 2k for me to have a single backyard walnut tree taken down…

Embers can travel many miles and high wind with low humidity is akin to a tinderbox situation leaving only structural hardening…

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #338  
Used to offer some pretty strange stuff too. Always had one of their catalogs on the top of the toilet tank in the bathroom for 'relaxing reading'.
Sometimes it was fun picking out the interesting stuff from the silly junk. They used to have remote trunk release conversion kits ... a solenoid and a steel cable with a lever that wedged into the lock slot. Sometimes it worked.

Another one was AutoWorld. All sorts of model car kits and accessories. Fantasy stuff for kids into hobbies. I see it's still out there too as a shadow of the former company.
Insurance companies should do risk rating of homes located in flammable forest locations and assign a high rate for properties where the owners haven’t reduced hazards by thinning trees and brush, and reduce rates for those who have reduced their hazards.
They should do that everywhere. I cleared everything taller than the eaves so nothing could fall onto the roof. But most of my neighbors have 50' trees 20' from the house for 'shade'. Storms with 60+ MPH winds are not uncommon here.

Shoestring potatoes. Not an order, but they were in every grocery store.
Maybe different definitions, but I see them in most stores these days.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #339  
I remember driving to HS with my shotgun sitting in the rack in my back truck window during bird seasons, and it was replaced by a rifle during deer and elk seasons. I have carried a pocket knife since grade school and still do. None of the guns or knives were considered unusual, and frequently we would go to the parking lot during lunch break to compare each other’s guns.
We used to deer hunt before school, school all day, then football practice.
Just tired thinking about those days.
You can’t even bring a water pistol to a school now.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #340  
We used to deer hunt before school, school all day, then football practice.
Just tired thinking about those days.
You can’t even bring a water pistol to a school now.
You can’t even use your thumb and index finger and say bang…

Status
Not open for further replies.