They Shall Not Grow Old

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I am not a big movie goer. So I can't believe I am pushing a movie here. But we went to see "They Shall Not Grow Old" tonight. It is a documentary about British soldiers in the First World War.

It is well worth your time and money!

Over one hundred hours of silent black and white film was combed thru and some colorized with new technology. Forensic lip readers, I kid you not, translated what the men were saying in the clips, and British actors from the proper area of Britain with the proper accent spoke the words. Most of the narration came from 1950 and 1960 interviews the BBC did of actual troops that survived the war. The producers combed thru over three hundred hours or interviews.

One scene showed a group of fifteen or twenty soldiers shortly before an attack at the Somme. Some were laughing, some were obviously terrified. In research the producers found that the unit was completely wiped out thirty minutes later.

Some of the scenes were horrendous.

If you go be sure to stay until after the credits have run and listen to the producer explain how, where, and why they made the film. It is very much worth the time.

It was an amazing experience.

Once again, well worth your time and money.

RSKY

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #2  
I heard about it, only showing a couple times here.

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #3  
Thanks RSKY. I'll be sure to look for it. Better than that - I'll let my son know. He even has a app that keeps him abreast of all types of movies.

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #5  
Thanks RSKY.

Is this the movie that Peter Jackson (Directed Lord of the Rings, etc...) had a hand in making?

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #6  
Thanks RSKY.

Is this the movie that Peter Jackson (Directed Lord of the Rings, etc...) had a hand in making?

Looks to be the one.

Thanks RSKY, I've never "prebooked" a movie, but it looks like we have one playing not to far away.

Looks like currently there are only two shows, December 17th and the 27th.

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #7  
Sweetie and I went to see "The Mule" with Clint Eastwood on Sunday. Saw the previews for "They Shall Not Grow Old". I wasn't able to go see it, but have it on my calendar for 12/27.

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #8  
My impression is that the British and Irish treat November 11, their Remembrance Day or Veterans Day, a bit more widely than we do. They seem to have monuments all over the place to pay respect to their dead during WWI. Some of the monuments have been put up recently too. We stood at a one WWI monument in Campbeltown Scotland for quite some time reading the long list of the dead. It was a HUGE monument especially considering the size of the town.

Here is a sunset photo. The big tower in the middle of the photo is their memorial. If my memory is correct, they built the memorial tower for their WWI dead and then added WWII and maybe Korean dead. This is not a big town but they sure have a MEMORIAL. :thumbsup:

GSC_0478_4.jpg

Later,
Dan

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #9  
The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month is remembered with a national one minutes silence here followed by ANZAC day on 25th April.
Most towns have a memorial obelisk with an honour roll and an avenue of honour with a plaque on each tree attributed to a serviceman who did notreturn.
WWI WWII Korea Vietnam and more recently Afghanistan.

/ They Shall Not Grow Old #10  
The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month is remembered with a national one minutes silence here followed by ANZAC day on 25th April.
Most towns have a memorial obelisk with an honour roll and an avenue of honour with a plaque on each tree attributed to a serviceman who did not return.
WWI WWII Korea Vietnam and more recently Afghanistan.

St Helens' has a Memorial Park in the middle of town with a cenotaph. The cenotaph has names inscribed for the fallen from the Boer War, Great War and WWII. Off to the side is a wall of remembrance with brass plaques for all of the other wars/conflicts/operations that Servicemen/women from the 'Shire' and Tasmania have participated. (The local RSL surprised me by adding my name to one of those plaques... )

It's a big deal here and in most Commonwealth countries.